Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bellator Champion Ben Askren Knows He Is Eventually Headed to UFC

Print  
Posted By Message

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
When Ben Askren was at the University of Missouri, he always dreamed of competing in the Olympics.

Take nothing away from his years spent as a Tiger competing with the best collegiate wrestlers there were, as well as Askren taking home two NCAA National Titles, he had goals that would take him beyond that.

Askren reached for the gold when he joined the U.S. Olympic wrestling team in 2008, competing in Beijing.

Now, Askren is reaching a similar dichotomy in his MMA career. Undefeated as a professional fighter, Askren sits at 8-0 with a fight pending this fall against former UFC and Strikeforce welterweight Jay Hieron.

http://mmaweekly.com/bellator-champion-ben-askren-knows-he-is-eventually-headed-to-ufc

Post #1   5/17/11 8:42:34PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
This is something I'm sure everyone was expecting at some point!!!!!

Post #2   5/17/11 9:03:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Oh and I can't wait. this big fish in a small pond thing is getting old.

Post #3   5/17/11 9:44:15PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Askren would have a shot at beating anybody but does anybody really want to watch Fitch 2.0 .

Post #4   5/17/11 9:53:47PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
askren vs Kos sounds like a matchup- kos may be able to neutrelize the take down and win the striking.

i think fitch alves st piere all outclass him......
maybe Kampman?

Post #5   5/17/11 9:57:43PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,516-928
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
I don't know whether or not an immediate transition into the ufc would be the right move. I say go to Strikeforce first for like somewhere between 3-5 fights against stiffer competition to really test his potential. I actually just started watching askren's fights after reading this article earlier. I know the level of competition is different between the UFC and Bellator, but his ability to dictate the pace and get the fight to the ground and keep it there is incredibly impressive to me. He's still a young kid who seems to have a ton of upside. I can't say that Alves would necessarily outclass Askren in a fight. If you're talking about who is the better fighter, it's alves, but if you ask me about who would win the fight, I'd say askren. Sure, askren is one dimensional, but his one dimension, which he excels at by the way, is proven to be what you need to be able to do to beat Alves.

Askren's wrestling credentials speak for themselves. 4x division I all-american, 2x National Champ, and 2x runner up to the National Champ. being a 2x national champ is always impressive to look at in any up and coming mma prospect, but the fact that Askren can say that he not only won the National Championship 2x in a row, but that he also competed for the national championship all 4 of his collegiate wrestling years, and his wrestling credentials will bring wet dreams to any hardcore fans of wrestling in MMA. Immediately following his collegiate success, he went to compete in the 2008 Olympics in freestyle wrestling. I mean come on, the only thing that could be done to make his wrestling credentials look better is if he would've gotten a gold in the olympics. He pursues his TDs relentlessly, he always seems to have the funky way of getting out of bad positions, or in some cases, and he seems to create new positions on the ground with unorthodox grappling style. All he has to do is hook up with a really good striking coach and we could be looking at the future of the WW division. I think his likely fight with a very experienced veteran in Jay Hieron might give us some good insight into his potential. If he can manhandle Hieron, who by no means is a slouch in the wrestling department, we'll know that he is probably legitimately at least a top 20 WW imo.

Maybe I'm hyping on him because I literally just got done watching all his bellator fights thus far like 15 minutes ago, but I think I might be sold on the Askren hype train. Just don't throw him to the wolves right off the bat and send him from Bellator to match ups against top contenders in the UFC WW division. Let him progress more naturally. Send him into Strikeforce and match him up with Daley, Scott Smith, Cyborg Santos, you know, some of those guys. Guys that are solid tests for Askren being that they are very experience verterans of the sport, and while not part of the WW elites, they aren't little more than sub-par cans, they would be tough fights for most fighters. Guys that when paired with him, with the exception of maybe Daley, won't be completely lopsided match ups one way or the other. Give him time to develop his style from a phenomenal wrestler with no striking, into a well rounded fighter who just so happens to have phenomenal wrestling, i.e. fighters like Rashad, and Cain Velasquez.
Of course, maybe I'm also a little biased in buying into the whole Askren hype train because like one of my favorite fighters, Jeremy Stephens, I'm just supporting the local boy from Iowa.

Last edited 5/17/11 10:53PM server time by ufc_Fanatic
Edit note/reason: Elaborating better on a few points.

Post #6   5/17/11 10:49:04PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Askren would have a shot at beating anybody but does anybody really want to watch Fitch 2.0 .

What he said

Post #7   5/17/11 10:58:04PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I say within two years

Post #8   5/17/11 11:05:28PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hashyandy4

Posted by sbulldavid

What he said

On the bright side, at least Fitch 2.0 actually moves around on the ground and achieves more than laying in guard and hitting people with mildly annoying punches. Fitch 2.0 will hit you with mildly annoying punches from side control! Ah, the sweet aroma of progress!

Post #9   5/17/11 11:22:58PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Ah More Fitch hate. As weak as his GNP is I would be willing to bet none of you
A. Would be willing to lay under him for 15 min
B. Have had some one that much better or stronger then you on top of you.

Stop acting like you have any Idea what it is like to get smothered or punched in the face by a guy like him. Don't complain about how dominate he is complain about the rules if thats your problem. Oh wait you can't he controls the cage just like the rules ask of him. The truth is wrestling takes the most dedication of all the discipline of all the aspects of MMA and most don't want to put the work in to stop it. This is coming from a jits guy who is willing to speak the truth.

Post #10   5/18/11 12:56:53AM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Stop acting like you have any Idea what it is like to get smothered or punched in the face by a guy like him. Don't complain about how dominate he is complain about the rules if thats your problem. Oh wait you can't he controls the cage just like the rules ask of him. The truth is wrestling takes the most dedication of all the discipline of all the aspects of MMA and most don't want to put the work in to stop it. This is coming from a jits guy who is willing to speak the truth.

Sorry if I sounded like I was coming off as a fitch basher, I was merely making a joke at the general perception of fitch and the moniker of fitch 2.0 someone gave Askren earlier. You do have a very good point though. I actually do know what it is like to have people much bigger/stronger than me on top of me. Albeit that I haven't really dedicated myself to training as much as I used to, mostly because of a lack of time between college and work, and a lack of places to practice BJJ in Iowa; the people that I train with and spar with on a semi-regular basis generally have around 60-70 pounds on me, and they know how to use it! Having somebody on top of you and smothering you for any period of time is frustrating and tiring.

While I'm not really a big fan of fitch, I do respect him as a fighter for the things he has accomplished so far and the dominant fashion in which he does it. I will be the first person to admit that if someone pointed at me and said "Hey you! Go in there and wrestle/roll with Fitch", I'd pull a Cartman and just be like "Screw you guys, I'm going home".

Post #11   5/18/11 1:10:26AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by postman

I get this argument. I've heard it a thousand times.

I just think its really sad that that's all you expect from professional fighters. Sure he has the right to do it. Sure its his opponents job to stop it. But fans can hate on him all they want because its boring to watch. Its not that we don't like wrestling. He's just not active from the top. There's no reason his ground and pound has to be weak, he's just not willing to risk posturing up. There's no reason he can't get submissions. He's just not willing to risk going for them.

My problem with fitch (and sometimes GSP) is that they take no risks. They don't try to be entertaining. They don't try to finish fights.

I know exactly what you're going to come back with. I've had this argument many times and more in depth than we're having it here.

Let me ask you this:

Are you the type of guy who does just enough at work to get by? Do you like working with those types of people? If there were someone at your work who always did a 'good enough' job but never tried to excel or improve, would you criticize them?

Post #12   5/18/11 6:13:36PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't hate Fitch, he's just not entertaining, watching him is like watching the early UFC classical one dimensional wrestler.

Post #13   5/19/11 2:31:43AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
One Jon Fitch is enough please.

Post #14   5/19/11 2:34:29AM