Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White Blames The Ultimate Fighter 13's Poor Quality on Lack of Elimination Round

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's no secret that this season's The Ultimate Fighter is suffering. After an initial 1.5 million viewers tuned in for the show's debut on March 30th and a steady rating for the next five episodes, the ratings hit a new low last week, garnering only 1 million viewers, or a 0.8 household rating. The NBA playoffs may be one of the reasons why the show is losing viewers, but one fan told Dana White that the show was "unbearably boring, unbearable to watch" at the UFC 129 Fan Expo in Toronto. Interestingly enough, Dana White agreed:

LINK

Post #1   5/17/11 2:47:30PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:
Well, Dana, that isn't the only issue with this season..

*Dos Santos doesn't have the personality to attract casual fans
*Fans don't care about Lesnar unless he's actually fighting
*Most of the fighters this season fight like amatuers
*No drama between teams
*Poor time slot

Everything that could go wrong with TUF did go wrong this season.. I still feel as though Zuffa was banking on Lesnar drawing in fans, and it backfired. Lesnar can bring in both the hardcore fan and the casual fan, but only when he's fighting it seems.

Post #2   5/17/11 3:07:39PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
the show was so much better when they used to focus on the drama more than the fighting

Post #3   5/17/11 4:20:38PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

the show was so much better when they used to focus on the drama more than the fighting

I totally agree!!! That and need grudge coaches. Plus elimination round

Maybe a international canada, brazil. Tuf needs to happen sonner rather than later

Post #4   5/17/11 4:45:21PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Posted by CCPRIDE99

I totally agree!!! That and need grudge coaches. Plus elimination round

Maybe a international canada, brazil. Tuf needs to happen sonner rather than later

LOL I quit watching due to the fact that the drama was dumb the fighters lack skill and the only thing I could gain from it would be a glimps of other ways of training. Well as we all know they never show any training worth anything so the show in my view has been pointless for a long long time.

Post #5   5/17/11 4:52:20PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
As much as I hate the drama, I think it makes the fights more compeling and I'll never forget the upperdecker episode as well as the Junie show. I think more than anything the format has just become stale, Bellators weekly cards are much more interesting plus you get 4 quality fights as opposed to one or two amaturish bouts.

Post #6   5/17/11 5:11:41PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:
I would really like to see another "comeback" season of TUF, with possibly a bigger contract at stake so they could bring back some of the more successful former fighters. I just feel like theres a lot of guys who have been cut in recent years that could make another run in the ufc, not to mention the fights on the show would be a lot better... no way they would be worse than this seasons

Post #7   5/17/11 5:17:10PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think when I saw this on mmamania and they had the picture of the cast, I picked out like 5 or 6 guys that wouldnt have even made it into the house.

Post #8   5/17/11 5:29:07PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I've had a hard time watching TUF when it went into the 3rd season.
In a way I give it as a backhanded compliment. Simply put, I think the UFC has outgrown the show and needs a new outlet to showcase fighters. It jumped the shark once guys started spunking in salads but that doesn't mean you have to throwout the baby with the bath water.

I'm no tv executive but I think perhaps it be best to get back to the basics. What I found so compelling,and I think what others did as well was the story behind the fighters. Now the show has become a painfull re-hashing of personalities we've seen many times before and it feels forced,not genuine.
I believe the best route would be to showcase 2 rising stars in the world of MMA who have yet to break into the UFC and show how fighting has affected,and enhanced their lives and the rewards and consequences that follow. Once the viewers have gained an emotional investment in either or both fighters place them against eachother on a Fight Night card. I'm not saying this is a fullproof plan for succusess,but I feel it's better than watching a meal ticket of a ship sinking ever so slowly.

Post #9   5/17/11 5:29:44PM   

scoozna

Annoying since 2007

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,311-1,280
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I hate the time slot.
And as much as I've railed against the shenanigans of previous seasons, I could use a little more drama. I don't wanna see spooge in people's salads and "upper deckers" but I'm sure they could add a little spice to the show.

Post #10   5/17/11 5:30:54PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Chips:
I knew that this season would blow without the elimination round. The fights are the only reason I watch anymore. The first TUF was groundbreaking. Look at the names on there.... Nate Quarry. Diego Sanchez. Stephan Bonnar. Forrest Griffin. Kos. Kenny Florian. Joe Lauzon. Chris Leben. Mike Swick.

All of them are still fighting in the UFC. One former champion and multiple contenders in that list. And the plot was compelling. We really got to take a look at these fighters lives, as individuals and as they were in the house. We got to see what they were training for, working towards. It was great TV, and everyone fought their heart out.

After season 4, it's all been downhill, in my opinion. No more good storylines. Not many great fights or fighters being produced. Sure, there are your exceptions. I liked the 10th season. I think Amir Sadollah has been a good TUF winner. But beyond that, the quality is lacking.

I saw another suggestion from a poster that described an idea for a show kind of like TapouT (remember that show? lol). That might be compelling. And when the Strikeforce contracts are up, and Zuffa is free to do what they want with the brand, perhaps they can restructure their whole operation. Maybe they will have weekly Fight Nights or something of that nature. I'd be pleased! Then we wouldn't have to deal with these poorly contrived shows to get one weak ten minute fight.

The magic is officially gone. Their only hope is to make next season Bantamweights and/or Featherweights. And even then, a new weight class might not save the show from it's own stale, formulaic ways.

Post #11   5/17/11 5:53:58PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I knew that this season would blow without the elimination round. The fights are the only reason I watch anymore. The first TUF was groundbreaking. Look at the names on there.... Nate Quarry. Diego Sanchez. Stephan Bonnar. Forrest Griffin. Kos. Kenny Florian. Joe Lauzon. Chris Leben. Mike Swick.

All of them are still fighting in the UFC. One former champion and multiple contenders in that list. And the plot was compelling. We really got to take a look at these fighters lives, as individuals and as they were in the house. We got to see what they were training for, working towards. It was great TV, and everyone fought their heart out.

After season 4, it's all been downhill, in my opinion. No more good storylines. Not many great fights or fighters being produced. Sure, there are your exceptions. I liked the 10th season. I think Amir Sadollah has been a good TUF winner. But beyond that, the quality is lacking.

I saw another suggestion from a poster that described an idea for a show kind of like TapouT (remember that show? lol). That might be compelling. And when the Strikeforce contracts are up, and Zuffa is free to do what they want with the brand, perhaps they can restructure their whole operation. Maybe they will have weekly Fight Nights or something of that nature. I'd be pleased! Then we wouldn't have to deal with these poorly contrived shows to get one weak ten minute fight.

The magic is officially gone. Their only hope is to make next season Bantamweights and/or Featherweights. And even then, a new weight class might not save the show from it's own stale, formulaic ways.

Joe Lauzon wasn't on the first season.

Post #12   5/17/11 6:28:08PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout
Joe Lauzon wasn't on the first season.

Well I'll be dipped! He was on Season 5.... Hayzeus Creesto I was way off! After looking at his record though, I guess he is still a good example of Octagon success. He is 6-3 in the UFC, and in those nine fights he has earned three Submission of the Night and three Fight of the Night honors. Ironically, his 3 UFC losses were the fights he earned FOTN.

Post #13   5/17/11 6:36:34PM   

legalbuddy

Learning to Sprawl

legalbuddy Avatar

Career:864-558
Camp: UFC Bet League
Chips:
I think the biggest problem this season is the fighter’s personalities or lack there of. The last episode completely revolved around Len and his painful to listen to bitching. The only thing that could save this season is giving Len his wish and letting him fight Brock. Something tells me his knee would start bothering him again come fight time.

Post #14   5/17/11 7:03:08PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree that there is no build up to watching the fights. There's just no drama anymore. I also can't stand most of the fights. I always get my expectations up thinking that "this" is the season where we'll see outstanding fights. That's never the case. I thought most of these guys were supposed to be up and comers. Most of them have huge holes in their games. It just gets frustrating to watch, but inevitably I tune in every week regardless of my feelings.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #15   5/17/11 7:10:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2