Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bellator tourney winner Jay Hieron says critics just don't understand his strategy

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jay Hieron will tell you repeatedly that the toughest guys don't always win MMA tournaments. Instead, he says, the guys who fight the best do.

It's both a slight at himself and a pat on his own back.

Hieron, of course, recently won Bellator Fighting Championships' season-four welterweight tournament as the early favorite. And though his close wins and fighting style have been heavily panned in recent weeks, he recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) his strategy was sound.

Article

Post #1   5/16/11 4:46:16PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Hieron (22-4 MMA, 3-0 BFC) quickly choked out late replacement Anthony Lapsley in an opening-round bout back in March, and he then scored controversial decision victories over Brent Weedman and Rick Hawn to win the eight-man tourney.

Hieron didn't choke out anybody. Not in Bellator. I'd score that fight a no contest due to an incompetent referee. As for his other fights, against Weedman and Hawn, he lost both.

I can't believe Junkie would even type in their article that Hieron choked out Lapsley. Usually, when you choke someone out, they tap out , verbally submit, or lose consciousness. Lapsley did none of the above.

As for his critics, speaking for myself, it's not that I don't understand his strategy. I don't understand how anyone can say he won a single fight in Bellator.

I used to LOVE this promotion. Prior to season four starting, I was very pro Bellator. But they way this season has gone.... Every event, every week, has had at least one blown call, from my recollection. Hieron "winning" the welterweight tournament just sent me overboard though.

Post #2   5/16/11 4:59:24PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Hieron (22-4 MMA, 3-0 BFC) quickly choked out late replacement Anthony Lapsley in an opening-round bout back in March, and he then scored controversial decision victories over Brent Weedman and Rick Hawn to win the eight-man tourney.

Hieron didn't choke out anybody. Not in Bellator. I'd score that fight a no contest due to an incompetent referee. As for his other fights, against Weedman and Hawn, he lost both.

I can't believe Junkie would even type in their article that Hieron choked out Lapsley. Usually, when you choke someone out, they tap out , verbally submit, or lose consciousness. Lapsley did none of the above.

As for his critics, speaking for myself, it's not that I don't understand his strategy. I don't understand how anyone can say he won a single fight in Bellator.

I used to LOVE this promotion. Prior to season four starting, I was very pro Bellator. But they way this season has gone.... Every event, every week, has had at least one blown call, from my recollection. Hieron "winning" the welterweight tournament just sent me overboard though.

I would prop you but I gotta share the love.

Post #3   5/16/11 5:11:11PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Strategy doesn't have much to do with it, when the judges give you two wins on fights that you probably lost.

Post #4   5/16/11 5:14:54PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by pmoney

I would prop you but I gotta share the love.

Lol, same here. Well said pmoney.

Post #5   5/16/11 9:07:31PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Strategy doesn't have much to do with it, when the judges give you two wins on fights that you probably lost.

I really hate the way that he tries to justify it as strategy. I don't expect him to disavow his wins or anything, but he clearly did not plan in advance to win that way- unless he means he bribed the officials, then I guess it is prior planning.

Post #6   5/16/11 10:07:01PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Except for the fact that the judging has nothing to do with Bellator, so why take it out on the organization?

Post #7   5/16/11 10:08:16PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
Warglory - I know that judging is (generally) run independent from the promotion. I just have a bad taste in my mouth from the tournament. And I suppose you are right, short of bribing the judges, it isn't Bellator's fault how things went down. I suppose I am just frustrated because it seems like no judges in any state know how to score a mixed martial arts bout.

Post #8   5/17/11 1:09:10PM