Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Paul Heyman Working with Shane Carwin to Promote UFC 131

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
New UFC 131 headliner Shane Carwin posted a piece of news on twitter this weekend that is sure to anger a portion of fans:

Paul Heymen @HeymanHustle is here handling the UFC Countdown shoot.

For those who are unfamiliar with the name, Paul Heyman is a professional wrestling personality best known for his time running ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) in the late 90's. He has been out of pro wrestling for some time now, and has been a vocal fan of MMA . He is also good friends with Brock Lesnar. Dave Meltzer at the Wrestling Observer has a bit more detail:

[T]his is not a deal with UFC, but the production company that does the Countdown special and Spike TV hired Heyman to help with the Countdown show for UFC 131. His role was to help Brock Lesnar promote the fight, and with Lesnar pulling out, they asked him if he'd instead work with Carwin, which he's doing. It's not a UFC hire. The idea of Heyman working with UFC in teaching fighters how to promote matches (and how not to) isn't the world's worst idea.

LINK

Post #1   5/16/11 2:40:27PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm not a fan of this.

Post #2   5/16/11 2:43:26PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
This is a GREAT idea. For those not familiar with Paul Heyman, he almost single handedly turned ECW from Eastern Championship Wrestling, into Extreme Championship Wrestling and defined the mid to late 90's wrestling style in the U.S. be being the first to adopt luchadore styles, and hardcore styles from Japan, and he was easily the best promoter of the 90's, to the point where WCW and WWE were stealing all of his ideas, and he did it all without corporate sponsors, OR a national TV deal until the very end of ECW's reign. Paul hired a literal who's who of the wrestling world, mainly from WCW and Japan, to define this brand.

Paul's not a good businessman, but he knows how to promote the hell out of a fight!

Post #3   5/16/11 3:58:08PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I didn't listen today but I am sure Jack Encarnacao had good insight on this topic during todays Beatdown radio on sherdog. He is very intune with 90's 00's Pro wrestling as well as current MMA. I will be intrested in catching the Podcast tomorrow. I will try to post a brief review if its worth it.

Post #4   5/16/11 5:04:03PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,206-1,363
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:
I know a little bout about Heyman and definetly think he will do a good job.
Hes always been about keeping it real so however he promotes Carwin I think it will be the truth and just pushing the best bits about Carwin to the cameras which he is excellent at.

Last edited 5/17/11 9:18AM server time by mattjonesy
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   5/17/11 9:18:08AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:
If Carwin comes off as forced or fake in the Countdown we'll know it wasn't a successful experiment. But I doubt that'll happen.

It'll most likely be an improvement.

Post #6   5/17/11 11:38:51AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Looks like they didn't have a beatdown yesterday oh well.

Post #7   5/17/11 5:42:57PM