Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gilbert Yvel vs. Tony Lopez headlines Colosseo Championship Fighting on July 23

Print  
What do you guys think of the old Pride rules being brought back for this event?
I love it! 10 77%
Too violent! 1 8%
Doesn't make sense. 1 8%
I've never seen Pride. 1 8%
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,759-1,586
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's not exactly the return of PRIDE, but July 23 will represent the return of PRIDE rules.

Colosseo Championship Fighting is set to host its first event this summer at a venue yet to be determined, and the promotion recently released the evening's nine-fight lineup.

Occupying the headline slot are UFC and PRIDE vet Gilbert Yvel (36-16-1) and former King of the Cage dual-division champion Tony Lopez (24-6), who will each have soccer kicks, and stomps at their disposal under a set of policies promoter Pasqualino Santoro has dubbed "international rules."

LINK

What do you guys think of the old Pride rules being brought back for this event?

Post #1   5/15/11 9:21:22AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,480-903
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I love Pride rules. Take any UFC fight, and apply Pride rules to them, and I think more often than not a different person wins the fight. There are so many times we see people in trouble and they get saved by the bell. Not to mention a ten minute first round is so much more physically taxing.

I have to bring up a point that I think is valid, and that is when elbows are not allowed on the ground, you have to space up to throw punches. This allows for more attempts for the bottom fighter to escape and try to work submissions. It could help to cut down on a lot of lay and pray BS and force people to work for a finish.

Did the UFC referees forget they can stand people up, or break up the fighters and restart them? I hate watching three rounds of dudes kneeing each others legs while in the clinch against the cage. If you're going to clinch, watch Menjivar-Valencia, that's the kind of work inside I want to see!!

Pride Rules 4 Life

Post #2   5/15/11 10:26:51AM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
I have to spread the love but great post. I agree with you fully. So many times I see guys who are in trouble just drop to a knee so they can't be kicked or kneed. I don't nessesarily agree stomps should be brought back but knees to an opponent on the ground just makes sense to me. It's an extra weapon that is often used very affectively in orgs that allow it.

I'm also pretty sick of the pushing your opponent into the cage and just holding that position for minutes at a time. Then when a ref finally does split them up the fight goes right back to that same position! If this show works out great then maybe we'll see more and more orgs bringing back the Pride rules. I can only hope.

Last edited 5/15/11 10:41AM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   5/15/11 10:40:00AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,581-1,411
Chips:
Love it!

Post #4   5/15/11 1:24:12PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
That's the spirit!

He's ready, are you?

Post #5   5/15/11 1:33:29PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
You know who else loves soccer kicks and stomps?

This guy!!!

Post #6   5/15/11 2:24:20PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
Adding soccer kicks to Aldo's arsenal would be legitimately scary at this point.

Last edited 5/15/11 5:25PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   5/15/11 5:25:16PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
I've seen him use the soccer kicks and stomps in his highlight reel. Quite frightening to see, I didn't think Aldo could be more savage...

Post #8   5/15/11 5:30:44PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Some things from the Pride rules should be carried over, but not all. For example, stomps and soccer kicks to the head I really don't think should be kept. However, I think knees on the ground are a necessity because too often an opponent just puts his hand on the mat to prevent being kneed in the face. Also, I think that knees from a sprawl like Bisping did to Rivera should be legal, but knees from a north-south is where I would draw the line. On the show Deadliest Warrior they had Rashad Evans knee a ballistics gel dummy in the head from north-south and it was enough to crack the skull and cause a potentially fatal hemmorhage. That's just my thoughts.

Post #9   5/15/11 8:15:27PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I am behind soccer kicks and knee to a grounded opponent for sure. Stomps are a bit too agressive for me. The guys head has nowhere to go! I love a great brutal KO as much as the next guy, but not at a fighters life's expense. Life ending force can be generated with a downward heel to the temple! A soccer kick KO is no more brutal than what Rashad did to Sean Salmon with a standing kick! Another variable in this equation is the referee. Socer kicks could be followed up by numkerous punches/strikes without the stoppage made by a veteren ref. So should rules be all encompassing or should one level of fighter(org) be able to use skills others cant under "unified" rules?? Too much for my simple mind to contemplate. Glad i get to watch and enjoy!!!

Post #10   5/15/11 10:12:49PM