Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Lindland claims Dana tried to coddle the MW posterboy Franklin...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

bruiser

Learning to Sprawl

Career:360-208
Chips:
In a recent interview with The Fight Card, Lindland talks about how Dana got rid of him because he didn't want him to beat Franklin. He goes on to say that Marquardt would not be a problem for him at all.

Check out the full interview at: www.myspace.com/thefightcard

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=466104

Post #1   5/1/07 8:58:31AM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
It is a plausible theory; although Lindland is a talented fighter, he is not as marketable as Franklin is.

Post #2   5/1/07 10:10:03AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I wouldn't mind seeing Lindland in the UFC. Not holding my breath, though.

Post #3   5/1/07 10:12:17AM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:
Thanks for the interview. That's been the "Conspiracy Theory" since it happened. What it that or the sports gambling t-shirt, who knows?

Post #4   5/1/07 10:22:22AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:
I am soooooooo sick of hearing how the whole world is against Matt Lindland. what kind of idiot would even bring this up. The whole point is avoided if the cry baby would have listened to his boss, and not worn the shirt after the president of the company told him not to.

Maybe the UFC and Dana were trying to protect their poster boy, but Matt could have done many things to prevent that. Obviously he could have chose not to wear a gambling shirt to the ring after the UFC told him he couldn't. He could have defeated Bustamantle when the UFC gave him a title shot. He could have not lost to Niko Vitale. He also could have not lost to David Terrell when the UFC put him in a tune up #1 contender match. The UFC didn't put that together for Evan Tanner to fight Terrell for the belt. It was for Matt's benefit. Last but not least he could have chose to not insult the entire organization after defeating Lutter on the same day he wore a sponsor shirt Dana personally told him not to. Matt made his own bed, but just like always he doesn't want to lie in it.

Post #5   5/1/07 12:29:25PM   

Lay_N_Pray

In Full Mount

Lay_N_Pray Avatar

Career:253-130
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
Lindland...he does like his excuses. Franklin does not duck anyone and I dont think Dana really though that Franklin was going to be the next Couture or Liddell so I really dont believe White had him tagged as the next "poster boy"

Lindland should worry about winning fights he is in. For example, Fedor. Could he have beat him? I dont know, but to say he grabbed the ropes is foolish and a cop out.

I'm really not much a Lindland fan and I continue to be disappointed with him

Post #6   5/1/07 7:23:09PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
lindland is overrated. hes a baby. and franklin would beat him hands down....done....

Post #7   5/1/07 8:11:48PM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by johny_rotten

I am soooooooo sick of hearing how the whole world is against Matt Lindland. what kind of idiot would even bring this up. The whole point is avoided if the cry baby would have listened to his boss, and not worn the shirt after the president of the company told him not to.

Maybe the UFC and Dana were trying to protect their poster boy, but Matt could have done many things to prevent that. Obviously he could have chose not to wear a gambling shirt to the ring after the UFC told him he couldn't. He could have defeated Bustamantle when the UFC gave him a title shot. He could have not lost to Niko Vitale. He also could have not lost to David Terrell when the UFC put him in a tune up #1 contender match. The UFC didn't put that together for Evan Tanner to fight Terrell for the belt. It was for Matt's benefit. Last but not least he could have chose to not insult the entire organization after defeating Lutter on the same day he wore a sponsor shirt Dana personally told him not to. Matt made his own bed, but just like always he doesn't want to lie in it.

Ive really gotta agree with u, i listened to the whole interview and I dunno, he seems pretty arrogant and thinks very highly of himself but he wasnt that successful in the UFC, especially after getting embarrassed by Bustamante.

Post #8   5/1/07 10:31:30PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by kerazzle

Ive really gotta agree with u, i listened to the whole interview and I dunno, he seems pretty arrogant and thinks very highly of himself but he wasnt that successful in the UFC, especially after getting embarrassed by Bustamante.

embarassed by bustamante? even more embarassing is lindland vs david terrell...i mean come on...that was pitiful

Post #9   5/1/07 10:47:05PM   

kerazzle

MMA Regular

kerazzle Avatar

Career:349-189
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by kerazzle

embarassed by bustamante? even more embarassing is lindland vs david terrell...i mean come on...that was pitiful

True, but he really made an ass of himself against murilo. Denies tapping out and then just gets subbed again. haha

Post #10   5/1/07 10:49:40PM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

lindland is overrated. hes a baby. and franklin would beat him hands down....done....

Lindland has beaten some really good middleweights, but I don't think he should have been ranked at #1. While I kind of, kind of, agree that Lindland is overrated, he's a talented fighter.

But to say that Franklin would beat Lindland hands down, no problem, is going a little far.

Lindland is a sick wrestler who could either tap Franklin out, or control him for 15 minutes.

He would have to get past Franklins strikes first, though.

Post #11   5/1/07 10:51:03PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Chips:

Posted by hook_tothe_body

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Lindland has beaten some really good middleweights, but I don't think he should have been ranked at #1. While I kind of, kind of, agree that Lindland is overrated, he's a talented fighter.

no no no...lindland is a good wreslter....thats pretty much it. hes got weak hands and halfway decent subs....

not saying franklin is anymore rounded than lindland but strikers just arent his forte... and especially against quick strikers....

Post #12   5/1/07 11:19:25PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Chips:
True Lindland gets talked up a bit too much. BUT... who else have we got.

Filho- prob'ly the best in the world @ that wght, but unproven.
Silva- a lot of ppl think his past losses against less than stellar comp. deny him #1. Some ppl just think his ground game couldn't take Lindland.
Franklin- to me has always been suspect. Now that he has shown such a weakness for MT we'll see how he trains for the adjustment in his game for the comeback.

Denis Kang and Nate Marquardt are def too green to take #1. He's not absolute without a doubt #1, but he's def one of the only top runners. I've got him at #1. I've always made the argument tho that 170 is unnecessary and just breaks up MW too much. It'd be much more competition with guys like Hughes not affected by the weight change at all.

Post #13   5/2/07 12:18:17AM   

johny_rotten

Standup Guy

johny_rotten Avatar

Career:125-71
Camp: 518 Death Squad
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by hook_tothe_body

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

no no no...lindland is a good wreslter....thats pretty much it. hes got weak hands and halfway decent subs....

not saying franklin is anymore rounded than lindland but strikers just arent his forte... and especially against quick strikers....

Not so fast. Quick strikers? Phil Baroni is one of the quickest I have seen, and Lindland owned him twice. Matt is much more than a wrestler. He gave Fedor a shit load of stitches with one punch. He stopped Jeremy Horn with strikes only the 2nd man out of over 100 to do that. He has submitted great submission guys like Fabio Leopoldo, Carlos Newton, and Van Arsdale. Matt is a very good fighter, and on any given day can hang in there with the best of them. My problem with Matt is when you reach the level of success he has, and train with the guys he has you should learn humility.

Post #14   5/2/07 1:32:38AM   

Ultimate_fighter

Banned

Career:270-165
Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I am gonna have to agree, i never liked lindland. He used to be in the UFC before and i dont think he could beat Franklin at all. I would bet anyone on the fight! But if you think about it 2007 is the "year of upsets" so you never know what could happen, i guess.

Post #15   5/2/07 1:32:42AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2