Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Heavyweight Roy Nelson Wants Three Minute Rounds

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by emfleek

Did I miss something? I've always been rather impressed by Roy's cardio. I highly doubt he's saying this because he's lazy. That's nonsense.

Just an excuse for a Belly joke. That and he didn't show the greatest cardio against jds last time I checked.

Getting punched in the face repeatedly by someone like Dos Santos will do that to ya.

Post #16   5/9/11 3:15:57PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by pmoney

I could see three minute rounds being either great or disastrous. If only there were some way to do a trial run.

There is!! It's an organization called "CAMMO" Which is the Cali Amat MMA Org....they recently have been running experiments with rules and judging criteria during their amatuer fights and reporting their findings up.....I know they have used US rules with JMMA judging criteria and vice versa, plus they have used mixed rulesets before as well. I know a guy who fights for them who works on base when I used to, he used to talk MMA with me all the time as I was an instructor and he was my civilian/military laison. They are a really trying to help the sport find it's path, support them if you can all!!!!

Oh and with all that said I do not agree with a lot of short rounds......I've seen it and it sucks. However knees to the head of a grounded opponent does need to be fixed....stomps/soccer kicks I still have mixed feelings on. Judging needs help desparately, and 5 round wars for "Superfights" is dumb because everyone is going to fighting over getting one when they don't rate them....don't open Pandora's box on this!

Good call on CAMMO! I remember reading an article (I believe this past December) that said they were going to start judging amateur bouts with the a new MMA specific scoring system that would facilitate half points. I believe that was a trial run that was supposed to last through this year.

All of the close rounds that get 10-9s (where 10-10's are never used :::cough:::) could be scored 10-9.5, dominant rounds could be 10-9, 10-8.5, etc.... I wonder how it's working out....

Post #17   5/9/11 3:36:29PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well by his logic 1 minute rounds would be even better. Or how about just thirty seconds?

I couldn't disagree more with Roy.

I think if anything, rounds should be longer. I loved the 10 minute first round in Pride. Less interruptions in a fight is a good thing. The more rules, officials, rounds, ect. that you put in between fighters, the less it is a real fight. I get so mad when a guy is caught in a submission or about to be knocked out and the round ends. I'm always like "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! This is why UFC 1 was so awesome!"

Post #18   5/9/11 4:18:58PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
3 minute rounds has got to be one of the worst ideas ever.

Post #19   5/9/11 4:36:41PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
i would too if i were his size

Post #20   5/9/11 4:45:04PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
roy has better cardio then most skinny guys, I dont think he is lazy at all.

3 minute rounds would be alright, if there were 5 or 7 of them.

Last edited 5/9/11 5:55PM server time by beer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #21   5/9/11 5:55:02PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
The problem is bad judging for the most part when draws happen. Not time limits or round limits.

Post #22   5/9/11 10:09:29PM   

CracMMA

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Just to make note... Nelson has some of the better cardio in the sport, not just compared to other fat guys, but compared to many fighters. Dude doesn't seem to wear out even when getting the hell smashed out of him.

Also, Nelson suggested three minute rounds, indeed. Can't call the guy lazy, because he suggest TEN three minute rounds.

That said, I don't like the idea because I think it takes away from the submission game. Taking those minutes away would be a huge edge for strikers, and big disadvantage to jiu-jitsu practitioners. How many times have we seen submissions pulled off in the mere final seconds of a round?

Post #23   5/9/11 10:24:09PM   

CracMMA

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Also, someone already said it, counter fighters and guys that feel out their opponents wouldn't change their styles due to a shortened stanza. Instead of getting three minutes of fighting in a five minute round, we'd get one minute of fighting in a three minute round. Then again, one minute of fighting...how could a judge score that wrong? In any case, judges would still find a way to slaughter it.

Post #24   5/9/11 10:24:50PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
Tachi palace didi 3 minute rounds with their prelims last weekend. I thought it was crap there's just not enough time to work on the ground, especialy if one guy really has to work for a take down. Shorter rounds make it easier to lay and pray or wall and stall your way to victory and in my opinion would lead to more boring fights.

Post #25   5/10/11 3:52:07PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,062-1,210
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Of course he wants 3 minute roundabout, he doesn't wanna actually train hard. The guy is a good fighter with good standup and jiu-jitsu, but if he got into decent shape he could possibly be a legitimately contender. But I have to admit, ho-ho's and twinkies do taste good

Post #26   7/9/11 4:57:10PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2