Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Saturday Night's Mania Event: Jake Shields eye pokes Georges St. Pierre at UFC 129 ... but was it intentional?

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Saturday Night's Mania Event is back, despite heavy competition from both Bellator 43 and the mega-fight between Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley.

That's alright, though, because we've got business to take care of.

In the wake of one of the most successful events in the history of the UFC, there are questions that need asking in regards to the main event that marred the entire show.

Was Jake Shields intentionally trying to poke Georges St. Pierre in the eye at UFC 129 this past Saturday, April 30, 2011, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada?

To start, it should be immediately established that an eye poke did, in fact, occur and it was the main culprit in causing GSP to lose vision in his left eye for most of the duration of the fight.

It was not a punch to the eye, as Shields initially commented at the post-fight press conference. It was a vicious poke, or maybe even scrape is a better term.

There are many layers to this occurrence that need to be discussed. Should the fight have been allowed to continue after the infraction, in which St. Pierre's sight was clearly compromised to the point of dangerousness?

Does someone need to tell Greg Jackson, trainer to the stars, that it's simply irresponsible for him to outright dismiss this fact when his fighter made him aware of it between rounds?

Did the ringside doctors and the entire commission drop the ball in regards to this entire incident?

Lots to talk about, ladies and sirs, let's get right to it.

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   5/8/11 12:18:39PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
This artical rings up some very good discussion topics so I thought I'd pot it.
What do you guys think about either the evidence for the eye poke being intentional and the comments Jackson made between rounds?

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/8/11 12:22:43PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This is why I believe instant replay is a part of most modern physical competitions....most major sports have them and even if it was stopped between rounds with a replay showing the poke the belt would not have to have changed hands. I think Jackson just didn't want GSP to lose...that's why he was saying what he did.

Post #3   5/8/11 5:31:17PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I will re-post my post on Mania:

Are you F-ing kidding me?

This is one of the most one sided pieces I have ever read. First, how can you say that the pokes definitely did the damage to his eye? The video that was showing during the event of a legal jab looked worse to me. In the clip that Rogan and Goldie were talking about Jake’s knuckle went directly into the eye ball. That is just as likely to have damaged the eye.

Next, even though you say you’re not, you’re obviously insinuating that Jake is a dirty fighter. You have no evidence or reason to believe that the pokes were intentional. Jake is a wrestler and they often use open hands to push away the head.

Also, who the hell are you to say he can’t use open handed strikes? Or that they are ineffective? Bas Rutten used them frequently. As did Dan Severn. As due thousands of traditional martial artists. Its not an illegal technique that he should be warned for. No where in the rules does it say you can’t use open hand strikes.

I do agree that Jackson f***ked up though. He should have called the doctor over. Thats the one good point you make in your accusatory, rambling, one-sided, conspiracy theory.

Post #4   5/8/11 6:39:42PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I don't think i've ever seen shields go more than 3 minutes in a striking affair so it is no surprise to me that he was a little spastic in the 25 minutes and poked St. Pierre, i don't think he poked him on purpose, but you can never rule it out

i disagree with the jackson comment. ppl rip on GSP for tapping out against serra, could you imagine the crowds response and media coverage if they threw in the towel on an eye poke? guys go in with beat up knees ribs and everything else you can think of.

and this should be a warning to the athletic commission. which is an absolute joke imo. we all know that even if there was absolute proof that it was an eye poke the belt would still switch hands because the athletic commission will never reverse a ref's decision examples include Anthony johnson vs kevin burns, jones vs hamill and bonnar soszyinski, no matter how obvious something is the athletic commission will NOT reverse a bad call or a bad decision

Post #5   5/8/11 7:04:53PM