Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Nick Diaz vs. Jeff Lacy Purse and TV Information

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I had the chance to talk to Jeff Lacy's manager, Joey Gilbert, about the deal between Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz and former world super middleweight boxing champion Jeff Lacy to square off in a boxing match. Gilbert shared some very interesting information about the bout.

Article

Post #1   5/7/11 8:42:00AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
WHY?!
Why doesn't someone in his camp or one of his friends or even his Mum step in and say this is a terrible idea?!?
Diaz has good boxing for MMA and thats as far as it goes.
An average professional boxer will embarrass him, its a completely different sport.
Thats like a cyclist who is near the best in his field thinking he could compete at the top level of a triathlon!

He'll have the basics for sure, but once the rest of his game is taken away Diaz is just another rangy fighter. Diaz also cuts like someone has taken a weed wacker to his face something a pro boxer will be able to exploit easily.

Lacy is far from his best but he's still lightyears ahead of Diaz when it comes to boxing.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   5/7/11 9:28:36AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

WHY?!
Why doesn't someone in his camp or one of his friends or even his Mum step in and say this is a terrible idea?!?
An average professional boxer will embarrass him, its a completely different sport.
Thats like a cyclist who is near the best in his field thinking he could compete at the top level of a triathlon!

He'll have the basics for sure, but once the rest of his game is taken away Diaz is just another rangy fighter. Diaz also cuts like someone has taken a weed wacker to his face something a pro boxer will be able to exploit easily.

Lacy is far from his best but he's still lightyears ahead of Diaz when it comes to boxing.

Definitely agree, but I gotta spread the love before I props you. If I were you, I would put money on it because the odds are actually pretty much even.

Post #3   5/7/11 11:10:11AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
i wonder if he'll wave his arms like an orangutan like he does when he fights.
its going to be a real short fight if he thinks he's going to distract Lacey like that

Post #4   5/7/11 3:47:48PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So basically it's going to cost the UFC somewhere in the ballpark of $220k to see Diaz fight GSP....I would totally agree to the price if I didn't know what the rest of the MMA world was making to fight him....it goes back to Diaz's previous statements about MMA payouts vs the rest of the athletic world. It's attrocious and I totally get why he would go this route as I also understand why Kimbo would, and why Overeem keeps fighting in K-1. Money makes the world go round!

Post #5   5/7/11 4:54:37PM   

Makaveli158

Learning to Sprawl

Makaveli158 Avatar

Career:387-311
Camp: /r/mma
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

WHY?!

Not attacking you, but; You have never seen Nick Diaz box outside of MMA. Do you think Nick Diaz would treat a Boxing match like an MMA match? Do you think he would employ the same strategy? Do you think he would train the same way? Do you think he would even use the same stance, same technique, same anything? Reallly, no one here can comment how well Nick will or will not do in a Boxing match. Boxing is not MMA, they are seperate sports and Nick knows this. He's been training with decent boxing trainers for years and years and he certainly has the cardio and the heart and the chin for it. Will he have a successful boxing career? Maybe, maybe not. He does already have one boxing match under his belt and it was a win. You can't discount someone before he really even gets his feet wet. If he wants to get in the ring and box, more power to him. His performance in the ring will dictate how good of a boxer he really is, not people like you, or me, or anyone else criticizing him here online.

I agree though, he will have issues getting cut. Expect any boxing match he is in to be very bloody.

Post #6   5/7/11 5:57:37PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Kinda win win for Diaz.

He loses, he was supposed to, to a professional boxer. He doesnt lose anything he gained in MMA (ranking etc) and in turn might achieve new fans in the process.

If he somehow manages to win then obviously its huge for him.

Post #7   5/8/11 8:54:55AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:516-343
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Showtime is an idiotic network why not pick up this it will obviously bring ratings in for them and it's quite surprising Diaz will make that much considering he's never fought in a pro boxing match before but i don't care as long as Lacy teaches Diaz a lesson on why he should stick with mma IMO this is a bad career move for Diaz who will probabaly get ko'd but who knows maybe he's just bored of beating up shitty competition in strikeforce.

Last edited 5/9/11 5:13AM server time by Lesnar1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   5/9/11 5:11:30AM