Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gray Maynard Skewers Anthony Pettis, Defends Rashad Evans

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC lightweight Gray "The Bully" Maynard has never been shy about sharing his feelings or opinions, and he certainly didn't hold back in yesterday's interview with Jon Luther at MMAFA.tv. Whether the topic was top contender Anthony Pettis, UFC 130 opponent and current lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, or even your average internet fan, Gray wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

On his part in Anthony Pettis having to fight Clay Guida instead of getting a straight title shot:

I’ve been in the trenches this whole time fighting the toughest guys. He throws one kick and then he’s the greatest in the world?

Let’s look at who he’s fought. Ben Henderson is the best name. And I don’t mind fighting him; I don’t care if I win the belt and then I have to take him on. But for me, guys like Miller, Melendez and all of these guys who have been on the f***ing grind, fighting the best competition for the past few years… that’s what I look at. Who have you fought? I don’t care about how good you looked when you fought a scrub. That doesn’t matter. If a guy isn’t good then you’re not supposed to look good. And for me, [Pettis] has fought one good guy in Ben, and he isn’t proven yet. He’s tough as hell, but we’ll see.

LINK

Post #1   5/5/11 12:29:18PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Maynard by acting like Pettis duvet.

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #2   5/5/11 1:50:38PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Melendez is deserving more than Pettis, but we will have to wait and see if they have sf vs ufc fights. I think Grey has a point, which is -it's not fair that being undefeated isnt as good as 1 loss and exciting fights and great finishes. entertainment plays a part sometimes,
But its more about uniting the belts , because Miller deserves it over Pettis, and hes also a really exciting fighter.

Post #3   5/5/11 2:31:52PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Totally agree with Maynard but he kinda goes into bashing but Pettis isnt top 5 at all..I used the last Ben fight to guage where these guys are...I never thoguht they faced the competition yet to be tested...

Nice showing by Ben...but he didnt finish Bocek who is tough but not very well rounded at all..

With that said Pettis and Henderson were pretty even if you ask me then the kick that made Pettis a superstar..Im making avatar bets it doesnt happen in teh next fight...

Post #4   5/5/11 3:05:23PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Totally agree with Maynard but he kinda goes into bashing but Pettis isnt top 5 at all..I used the last Ben fight to guage where these guys are...I never thoguht they faced the competition yet to be tested...

Nice showing by Ben...but he didnt finish Bocek who is tough but not very well rounded at all..

With that said Pettis and Henderson were pretty even if you ask me then the kick that made Pettis a superstar..Im making avatar bets it doesnt happen in teh next fight...

Really gutsy avatar bet

Post #5   5/5/11 4:47:06PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I agree with Mr. Maynard

Post #6   5/5/11 5:32:52PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
maynard could beat pettis

Post #7   5/5/11 6:22:39PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I think it's cool that Maynard's showing more personality now, but I still think he's kind of an ass. You can tell the truth without sounding like an angry undergrad.

Post #8   5/5/11 7:06:17PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,439-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Maynard showing some sack! Those are bold words. I don't know if he should be slandering his Zuffa stablemates though.

If you watched the full five rounds of Pettis-Bendo, you had to be amazed. Lord knows I was amazed, rounds before the "Showtime Kick".

There were so many sweeps, reversals, each guy getting out of crazy sub attempts..... That was a gnarly, gnarly fight. And I thought Henderson came through like a champ against Bocek, who is certainly no chump. And that man, as amazing as Henderson is... Pettis beat him. Pettis is LEGIT, for sure.

The whole upper echelon of the Lightweight division right now is crazy. Edgar, Maynard, Miller, Pettis, Guida, Guillard, Henderson.... You take those guys and match them up against each other, it's going to be war every time. And who knows who is going to win?

Can't wait for UFC 130 to unclog this bottleneck at 155!!!

Post #9   5/5/11 8:32:56PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
i think in terms of style henderson would beat maynard, not sure bout pettis though. He should probably focus on the edgar fight though

Post #10   5/5/11 9:03:31PM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,716-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I enjoyed that interview. I have never enjoyed a Gray Maynard interview til now.

Post #11   5/6/11 6:58:45AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
Eh... Maynard might be right but I know I would rather watch Pettis fight than Gray.

Pettis/Henderson was one of my favorite fights I've seen in awhile.

Post #12   5/6/11 3:02:13PM   

xtinax3

Learning to Sprawl

Career:557-363
Chips:
maybe cos i've been watching grays interviews for a long time..but hes never had a boring personality and was pretty outspoken...and jokes a lot, he just wasn't in the limelight as much. he does come off a lil slow or on pot sometimes, but hes a cool guy, and i think hes a great fighter he's just fought really tough people so can't pull off pettis kicks on them. i think pettis deserves the title shot to merge the belts, but in the stacked 155 division i dont know where i would rank him, he's up there though.

Post #13   5/6/11 4:18:43PM