Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

'Money' talks: Chad Mendes feeling confident after seeing Jose Aldo's ground game at UFC 129

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo successfully defended his title against 145-pound number one contender Mark Hominick in the co-main event at UFC 129: "St. Pierre vs. Shields" last Saturday night (April 30) in Toronto, Canada.

So why is his next opponent, Chad Mendes, feeling so confident?

LINK

Post #1   5/4/11 12:57:07PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Chips:
Yeah, this is no surprise. Once a dominant champion looks mortal, the rest of the division begins to feel confident in their own chances at winning. He needs to be weary of those accounts of Aldo being sick, though. I'd hate to see him over confident going in and Aldo destroy him.

Post #2   5/4/11 2:35:48PM   

hashyandy4

Super MW King S.O.G.

hashyandy4 Avatar

Career:614-326
Chips:
Mendes is just talking. I really cant see him beating aldo, but it seems that wrestling is the way to have a chance against anybody from blackhouse so.... The only way mendes wins is a boring 5 round UD, but i just dont see it i got jose by 2nd tko.

Post #3   5/4/11 11:02:17PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
If Hominick knew how to throw an elbow he woulda killed Aldo Im sure he was tired but Aldo bottom game is not very good or his top...He looks for punches and he was subbed years ago by a bum with a rear naked choke...He might be a world champion at his weight but thats dealing with a bunch of scrawny guys who cant wrestle..

Actually depending on teh odds Mendes might be a good bet...Not to mention the best gameplan would be at the first kick take Aldo down...

Post #4   5/5/11 12:30:22AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
Good luck Mendes...

IMO, Faber > Mendes and we saw what Aldo did to Faber.

Post #5   5/6/11 3:07:24PM   

ajp10k

MMA Regular

ajp10k Avatar

Career:154-118
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by JWils

Good luck Mendes...

Mendes is a better ground fighter then Faber, in wrestling and grappling Mendes wins. In striking Faber is better. I would still pick Aldo to win but i think he would finish Mendes.

Post #6   5/6/11 5:17:32PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Aldo is going to trash this fool. The man wasn't right that night so you can't really put so much stock into that last round. He was a monster against Uriah. I think Aldo will go back to brutally finishing people in this fight.

I think he knocks Mendes out cold. Brown was another powerful wrestler who was able to get him down but Aldo easily switched to on top and brutally put Brown away. I see the same here. Faber couldn't even come close to taking him down.

Post #7   5/6/11 8:21:01PM   

nofearkyleshere

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-3
Chips:
I think Mendes will catch a knee shooting for the take down.

Post #8   5/14/11 12:34:04PM   

Lay-n-PrayNINJA

Learning to Sprawl

Lay-n-PrayNINJA Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

If Hominick knew how to throw an elbow he woulda killed Aldo Im sure he was tired but Aldo bottom game is not very good or his top...He looks for punches and he was subbed years ago by a bum with a rear naked choke...He might be a world champion at his weight but thats dealing with a bunch of scrawny guys who cant wrestle..

Actually depending on teh odds Mendes might be a good bet...Not to mention the best gameplan would be at the first kick take Aldo down...

Yeah um no.

1. Hominick knows what an albow is, and has used them MANY times from the top. It's called wrist control, and all Nova fighters are excellent at it.

2. Aldo's ground game OWNED Faber and Brown. Using one round where Aldo was gassed out and ill is probably not as good of a reference as those two fights.

3. Calling Luciano a bum is fairly stupid as well. Funny you need to go back 6 years to point to Aldo having a weakness. In 2005 he had yet to even get his Brown belt from Nova. Since then he won a Brasillian and world championship BJJ competition at both Brown and Black belt....

4. Faber/Brown are "scrawny guys who cannot wrestle"???

Lotsa fail in that post sir.

Post #9   5/14/11 1:08:59PM   

Lay-n-PrayNINJA

Learning to Sprawl

Lay-n-PrayNINJA Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by JWils

Good luck Mendes...

Mendes is a better ground fighter then Faber, in wrestling and grappling Mendes wins. In striking Faber is better. I would still pick Aldo to win but i think he would finish Mendes.

Mendes is a better pure wrestler, but grappler no. Even Mendes would tell you that Faber has a better submission grappling game than he does now.

Mendes is ever improving though.

Post #10   5/14/11 1:20:44PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,045-1,204
Chips:

Posted by hashyandy4

Mendes is just talking. I really cant see him beating aldo, but it seems that wrestling is the way to have a chance against anybody from blackhouse so.... The only way mendes wins is a boring 5 round UD, but i just dont see it i got jose by 2nd tko.

Bingo, I got an Aldo 2nd tko/ko

Post #11   7/8/11 2:01:49PM