Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Current UFC champion's vs First UFC Champion, most competitive fight?

Print  
Which fight would be most competitive?
Mark Coleman Vs Cain Velasquez 1 4%
Frank Shamrock Vs Jon Jones 3 11%
Dave Menne Vs Anderson Silva 0 0%
Pat Miletich Vs GSP 9 33%
Jens Pulver Vs Frankie Edgar 14 52%
Posted By Message

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,134-678
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As the title suggests, which current UFC champion vs the very first UFC Champion, which fight would be most competitive?

I'm not talking about the fight happening in each fighters Prime, I'm talking about if they were to comeback and fight right now.

Mark Coleman last fight February 6, 2010
Frank Shamrock last fight April 11, 2009
Dave Menne last fight April 24, 2010
Pat Miletich last fight December 11, 2008
Jens Pulver last fight March 5, 2011

I know none of them would be super competitive, but which one could be closest?

For me i personally feel Frank Shamrock is always dangerous. Mark Coleman has no hope, Dave Menne might be able to survive a 5 round dance with Anderson, Pat has a big chance, but only in his prime. Jens Pulver might be training recently and I'm no nuthugger of Edgars, but I know Edgar would decimate him. So for me its a toss up of any of the 4 other than Coleman

Last edited 5/4/11 12:32PM server time by jjeans
Edit note/reason: n/a

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #1   5/4/11 12:23:06PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Chips:
I said Edgar vs Pulver. He's the only one still fighting even though he probably shouldn't be.

Post #2   5/4/11 12:32:06PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Chips:
I was thinking Shamrock would be the most dangerous at this point in their careers, but then I realized he would be fighting Jones, and any hopes of him winning just flew out the window. He wouldn't be able to touch Jones if guys like Shogun, Bader, and Hamill couldn't hurt him, much less beat him. In the end I had to choose Pat.

Post #3   5/4/11 2:32:21PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
These would all be senseless slaughters...

Post #4   5/4/11 5:07:51PM   

LIDDELL1990

Learning to Sprawl

LIDDELL1990 Avatar

Career:521-288
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Ya Menne would have the best chance he'd last 5 with Silva .... lmao

Post #5   5/4/11 5:10:03PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think a prime Pulver could put up a close fight with Frankie.

Post #6   5/4/11 6:07:51PM   

Styles

Standup Guy

Styles Avatar

Career:373-223
Chips:
I was gonna say Pulver as well but then I remembered, Pulver is horrible on the ground.

Post #7   5/4/11 6:41:20PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Those are all horrible match ups lol each and everyone one of those past champions would get beaten down.

Post #8   5/4/11 6:58:10PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Throw out Coleman and put in Bas Rutten and there's my pick! Bas was one of the only fighters of that era who was anywhere close to being the complete package. Dangerous with submissions, and extremely dangerous on his feet and using his feet. God forbid he go old school and start throwing palm strikes! lol

I'd say out of the match ups there though, here it is. Menne is going to get absolutely murdered by Silva. I'm talking Silva will have to go to trial and everything. It would be very very bad.

The same thing could be said of Coleman vs Cain. Seriously? At this point in Coleman's career, not only would Cain get put on trial for murder, he would be convicted and sentenced to life in prison, possibly even death for murder in the first degree. That fight would be competitive until the stare down was over, and that is it.

Shamrock would be doomed against Jon Jones. We're talking GIR from Invader Zim singing the doom song, doomed. (I would seriously consider giving props to anyone who knows what the hell I'm even talking about with that reference).

Being that GSP is chasing down John Fitch's title of the decisionist decisioner who ever decisioned, I got to say that Pat actually has a chance of surviving 5 rounds in this one. It won't be competitive, but he'll survive.

Pulver's best days passed him by a long time ago. Possibly around the time that he fought Gomi. They were definitely behind him when he fought Lauzon. Puvler's game fighting off his back is definitely lacking. A fight between him and Edgar would be more competitive than Shamrock vs. Jones, or Coleman vs Cain, or Silva vs Menne, and possibly slightly more competitive than Pat vs GSP, but his chances of survival are lower than Pat's are, so I guess that being said if you're going off of chances for survival, pat gets my vote.

Last edited 5/5/11 3:51AM server time by ufc_Fanatic
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   5/5/11 3:47:08AM