Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Does GSP's "Safe" Gameplans Bother You? (Poll)

Print  
Does it bother you that GSP has lost his killer instinct?
Yes, it bothers me alot. 33 41%
No, not at all. 40 50%
I could care less. 7 9%
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

teejay68

Learning to Sprawl

teejay68 Avatar

Career:962-622
Camp: the thuggee's
Chips:
As a Canadian, I have always been a bit of a biased fan of GSP, but I too am getting really bored by his performances, or as GSP himself would say, I am not impressed by your performance. I would really like to see him stop fighting not to lose. Its time to start finishing fights, he certainly has all the skills.

Post #31   5/4/11 8:35:21AM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
I agree that it bothers me.

I understand it's all perfect gameplan and execution but this man has the potential to put people in the hospital. He is great at every aspect of the sport. I didn't mind the Kos fight because of the damage he did to Kos.

I was more bothered by this particular fight though because at least Kos had KO power he had to watch out for. Shields had no chance of taking him down, was no threat whatsoever on the feet and he only out jabs him? I have a problem with that. I think he should have been more aggressive,

Post #32   5/4/11 9:59:36AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I posted on this thread once already, but I would like to add something else: I believe GSP's opponents are also (equally) to blame for boring WW title fights.

Post #33   5/4/11 11:34:20AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
No, they don't bother me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Post #34   5/4/11 12:06:47PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

Whens the last time GSP finished someone like Machida did Couture..>That would be never...

The only other guy ever to finish someone like that was Daniel-san, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Silva Belfort...

Post #35   5/4/11 12:36:52PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by kingsmasher

Whens the last time GSP finished someone like Machida did Couture..>That would be never...

The only other guy ever to finish someone like that was Daniel-san, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Silva Belfort...

A front kick is one thing, a "crane" kick is another. My sarcasm may have been lost on you though...

Post #36   5/4/11 12:52:48PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

I posted on this thread once already, but I would like to add something else: I believe GSP's opponents are also (equally) to blame for boring WW title fights.

I would agree with that on the Kos fight but it really wasn't too bad of a fight because I like watching boxing anyways but I believe if Kos really wanted even have a remote chance he needed to really pressure GSP and try to land that power. Not get picked apart on the outside like he did.

But with Shields like I said it was GSP's worst performance IMO because Shields was not even a remote threat to GSP. He wasn't going to get the takedown, he was scared to even try to shoot, he doesn't have any power whatsoever so I felt he should came out guns a blazin'.

Post #37   5/4/11 1:39:17PM   

Kastro

Standup Guy

Kastro Avatar

Career:474-316
Camp: The Tactical Underground
Chips:
GSP is the man.. He comes into every fight with an amazing display of dominance and precision, if he is winning fights the way he is then why should he take chances he doesn't have to? If you were in his shoes you would want the belt for as long as possible would you not?

Whoever challenges GSP for the title needs to do just that.. CHALLENGE! Its your job to take the belt from St. Pierre and bring the fight to him.. Yet nobody has been able to do so!

GSP is doing everything he needs to solidify himself as one of the greatest champions the UFC has ever seen, he has dominated every opponent he has faced and will keep doing so for years to come!

Post #38   5/7/11 5:57:26AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
A true champion is one who finishes his opponents

I hate to say this but edgar is more fun to watch in a 5 round fight than gsp

I saw edgar fight penn and maynard, and maynard again in a few weeks

And if he wins possible in denver or houston live as well
Christ that is 2 25 min fights. A possible third

But gsp. Playing it too safe sucks
He should have finished a shields

Ever sense gsp went to jackson camp he lost his killer instinct!!

Post #39   5/7/11 1:54:20PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by DeadHead988

Amost all of GSP's recent fights have been boring as hell. I consider him the best in the world, but I never look forward to seeing him fight.

This sums it up pretty well... After the "flukey" loss to Serra, he just won't put himself out there... And in the end, that's why I love combat sports... In its base form, it's two guys baring all against one and other until a natural breaking point.

I guess what really bothers me, is that is seems like GSP has all the tools to finish all his fights... He is head and shoulders above anyone in the WW division... But his lack of ability to pul the trigger, is frustrating to say the least...

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? He loses a fight? Big deal... He's already solidified himself as the best welterweight in MMA up to this point...

Ah, whatever... like you say... Best in the world, but I could careless about seeing him fight...

Post #40   5/7/11 2:13:50PM   

free_style_52

Learning to Sprawl

Career:95-79
Camp: Vanilla Ice Ice Baby
Chips:
GSP isn't exactly winning contraversial/close fights so its really not on him to take chances to try to end the fight. GSP's problem is that he's fighting guy's who have styles that are one dimensional or a big weakness in one of their skill sets. The UFC is struggling to find a complete fighter to challenge GSP...Diaz needs to be the next fighter....Marquardt may be an interesting fight if they weren't training partners, Anthony Johnson may be interesting if he didnt have all that time off and had a bit more experience.

Post #41   5/15/11 11:38:58AM   

Lay-n-PrayNINJA

Learning to Sprawl

Lay-n-PrayNINJA Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by CoachRDS

I don't have a problem with GSP's gameplan because IMO finishes are not as indicative of a fighter's skills as being able to control where and how a fight goes. If Georges St. Pierre can make someone like Josh Koscheck be a human punching bag and the opponent can't stop it but doesn't get knocked out because of having a good chin, does that mean his opponent lacks stand up skills? No. It means he could not fight his fight, and the other guy was superior as a stand up fighter. Likewise, if he is able to take down someone like Dan Hardy, control him on the mat and go for submissions and the opponent refuses to tap, does that mean a fighter doesn't have submission skills? No. It means the guy on bottom, while refusing to get finished, got outclassed in his weak area by a fighter who was superior in that area. His gameplans are built around him trying to finish fights, but if you are fighting in the UFC's welterweight division, you should not expect much in the way of finishes because everyone is skilled in all areas of the fight game.

You seem to be confusing ability with desire.

GSP chose to point fight Koscheck from the outside. Even when he did land a solid strike (more than a jab) that had Kos stumbling, he CHOSE to back off and let him recover.

GSP CHOSE not to commit to the kimura on Hardy. The proper technique to finish that kimura would have been to step over the head, and GSP knows this. The problem is that you MIGHT risk losing position when you step over, and GSP wouldn't risk it. The armbar was not applied right, so chalk that up to error in technique. However, 2 solid submission attempts in 25 minutes is hardly something to brag about for GSP.

The point in that GSP is calculated, and dominant, but lacks the killer instinct you see with the best FIGHTERS. He is an athlete, and sees this as a competition, where others are fighters, and see this as a fight.

This quote from the last Primetime from Georges sums it up nicely:

"This is a tough competition. If I have to , I will hurt him."

GSP only bothers me from an excitement level, as I will ikely not be paying to watch him fight anymore. From an MMA standpoint, he is AMAZING, and will be close to impossible to beat at WW.

Post #42   5/16/11 10:55:23AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I have been saying this for years but I will say it again.

GSP does not fight to hurt his opponents. He fights to win while having sympathy for his opponents. We all know GSP could have ripped off Hardy's arm but GSP let go of the arm instead to protect Hardy from a serious injury.

Again, GSP's fight with Koscheck proved he could have knocked out or tko Koscheck but sympathy kept him from unleashing what he is really capable of doing in the octagon.

I know many of you hate his safe style, but if you really stop to think about it, GSP is actually holding back from delivering punishing injuries to his opponents.

His philosophy is to win and not to inflict major injuries to his opponents.

I really wish a fighter will come along to test GSP and maybe then - we may see what GSP is really capable of which I guarantee you - we have not seen yet.

Post #43   5/18/11 1:55:49AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by KungFuMaster
GSP does not fight to hurt his opponents.

GSP's fight with Koscheck proved he could have knocked out or tko Koscheck but sympathy kept him from unleashing what he is really capable of doing in the octagon.

GSP is actually holding back from delivering punishing injuries to his opponents.

His philosophy is to win and not to inflict major injuries to his opponents.

See the thing is though, KO'ing or TKO'ing koscheck would have actually have been the much more sympathetic option, as repeated blows to the head are more detrimental to the brain than a KO is. So if he is holding back for his opponents, that means he's choosing a much more malicious route, which contradicts the stated philosophy.

Post #44   5/18/11 2:14:17AM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

See the thing is though, KO'ing or TKO'ing koscheck would have actually have been the much more sympathetic option, as repeated blows to the head are more detrimental to the brain than a KO is. So if he is holding back for his opponents, that means he's choosing a much more malicious route, which contradicts the stated philosophy.

Of course you are going to say that if you are to challenge my perspective.

But seriously, GSP trains to win fights and not to hurt his opponents. There is such a thing called mercy. Remember Aldo vs Faber??? - The MMA world knew Aldo could have KOed or TKOed Faber. But what did he do? He did not want to embarrass the former champ and decided to settle for a unanimous decision.

You can twist the debate however you want, but I believe GSP is in it to win with as little damage to his opponents as possible.

Post #45   5/18/11 2:25:58AM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4