Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Greg Jackson - GSP Eye Injury ‘Significant’

Print  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Georges St. Pierre's trainer, Greg Jackson, discussed the champion's performance at UFC 129 with Sherdog.com Administrative Editor Jordan Breen.

Article

Video interview with Greg Jackson post UFC 129

Post #1   5/1/11 3:46:29PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The injury happened during the fight as a result of a legal strike. You can't use it as an excuse for a poor performance.

My take on the fight:

GSP didn't try hard enough to finish. He was hesitant against a guy that he out classed on the feet and who couldn't take him down. This fight should have ended inside 3 rounds.

Shields attempted far to few takedowns. If he was serious about winning we would have seen shot after shot until he got the fight to the mat or died trying. He claimed before the fight that he wasn't here for a moral victory. His performance tells a different story. The only chance he ever had was on the ground. He did little or nothing to get it there. He was content going five rounds and doing better standing than people expected.

Very disappointing main event, which is becoming a trend with GSP. Nick Diaz would at least make him fight, even if he lost.

Post #2   5/1/11 5:22:13PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Not like GSP has a fight waiting for him though. So he can recover and let the opponent fall into place. Whether it be Silva, Diaz or someone else.

Post #3   5/1/11 5:25:59PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

The injury happened during the fight as a result of a legal strike. You can't use it as an excuse for a poor performance.

My take on the fight:

GSP didn't try hard enough to finish. He was hesitant against a guy that he out classed on the feet and who couldn't take him down. This fight should have ended inside 3 rounds.

Shields attempted far to few takedowns. If he was serious about winning we would have seen shot after shot until he got the fight to the mat or died trying. He claimed before the fight that he wasn't here for a moral victory. His performance tells a different story. The only chance he ever had was on the ground. He did little or nothing to get it there. He was content going five rounds and doing better standing than people expected.

Very disappointing main event, which is becoming a trend with GSP. Nick Diaz would at least make him fight, even if he lost.

If what Jackson says is true about GSP's eye, how can you say he didn't try hard enough to finish? Seeing with only one eye is a huge problem.

Post #4   5/1/11 8:06:48PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by bjj1605

My take on the fight:

If what Jackson says is true about GSP's eye, how can you say he didn't try hard enough to finish? Seeing with only one eye is a huge problem.

georges rocked shields a couple of times in the early rounds and didn't want to follow up for fear of getting caught coming in or getting submitted, it was a disappointing fight from both guys, gsp played it safe and shields just wanted the paycheck i felt, disappointing main event for a pretty flawless event otherwise

Post #5   5/1/11 9:16:53PM   

slappywhite

MMA Regular

slappywhite Avatar

Career:806-546
Camp: Bobbaganoosh
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

lol use some common sense

lets say he broke someones leg or arm with a legal strike, he continues on, but there's NO way he continue to the best of his abilities. Broken arm, not being able to see out of one eye, both things that will impede your performance

Post #6   5/2/11 12:19:35AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,109-1,190
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

So what your saying is that anything that happens to one fighter due to a legal strike he cant use that as an excuse for not giving out an over the top performance?

So all those guys that break their hands in like the first round and still go to a UD and get millions and millions of praises...WTF is that all about then?

Your username has bjj in it which could mean that you do train or fighter amateur or pro, which to me comes a big surprise seeing a fighter say that kind of thing, you make no sense to me at all my friend.

And also, just for the record here's your "LEGAL" strike.

link

Post #7   5/2/11 9:44:22AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by slappywhite

Posted by bjj1605

lol use some common sense

lets say he broke someones leg or arm with a legal strike, he continues on, but there's NO way he continue to the best of his abilities. Broken arm, not being able to see out of one eye, both things that will impede your performance

No s**t he couldn't continue to the best of his abilities. Thats why its an injury. Duh? Point is, he didn't come into the fight with the injury. It didn't happen as a result of an illegal strike. It is damage inflicted by the opponent. Thats legit. Shields hurt him.

If a guy hit me with a punch and knocked me out. Would you accept the following excuse as legitimate: "I couldn't perform at my optimum level as a result of a concussion received during the fight. My loss of consciousness is the only reason my opponent won. If I had not received this injury I would have gone on to win the fight."

Of course not. Saying that he couldn't perform because of his eye isn't even logically definable as an excuse. He's just describing what happened.

And to that other guy, that eye poke was not what did the damage to GSP's face. You can see in the clip you linked that there is no physical damage after the poke. It was a punch.

Post #8   5/2/11 3:45:06PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by bjj1605

So what your saying is that anything that happens to one fighter due to a legal strike he cant use that as an excuse for not giving out an over the top performance?

So all those guys that break their hands in like the first round and still go to a UD and get millions and millions of praises...WTF is that all about then?

Your username has bjj in it which could mean that you do train or fighter amateur or pro, which to me comes a big surprise seeing a fighter say that kind of thing, you make no sense to me at all my friend.

link

Oh ya, and the guys who break their hands in the first round and then use it as an excuse for shitty fights (ala Uriah Faber) are exactly what I'm talking about. They deserve no praise for their 'toughness.'

If you're an idiot who throws sloppy punches and breaks your hand, thats an event, not an excuse. There's also a technique in old school boxing and Muay Thai where you tilt your head down so that the guy punches you in the crown of the head. Its like blocking a punch with your head. Its intended to hurt the guys hand. Again, a legal technique.

If you threw a kick at my ribs and I blocked it with my elbow, breaking your foot/ankle/shin, do you think your injury would count as an excuse? No. Because its damage I did to you as part of the fight.

GSP's eye injury was an event that took place during the fight. Not an excuse for a shitty fight.

Post #9   5/2/11 3:51:51PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,109-1,190
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by bjj1605

link

Oh ya, and the guys who break their hands in the first round and then use it as an excuse for shitty fights (ala Uriah Faber) are exactly what I'm talking about. They deserve no praise for their 'toughness.'

If you're an idiot who throws sloppy punches and breaks your hand, thats an event, not an excuse. There's also a technique in old school boxing and Muay Thai where you tilt your head down so that the guy punches you in the crown of the head. Its like blocking a punch with your head. Its intended to hurt the guys hand. Again, a legal technique.

If you threw a kick at my ribs and I blocked it with my elbow, breaking your foot/ankle/shin, do you think your injury would count as an excuse? No. Because its damage I did to you as part of the fight.

GSP's eye injury was an event that took place during the fight. Not an excuse for a shitty fight.

Do you actually re-read your posts? Every other phrase contradicts the other...and i also liked the way you avoided my video on the so called "legal strike".

Basically all fighters to you should be robots, I won't go into too many details or drag this along any more cause i find that responding to these kinds of posts make me dumber everytime but to sum it up quickly it is physically impossible to get hurt significantly (breaking a body part, blinding eye poke, whatever really) and still be able to fight at 100% the remainder of the fight.

Clearly if you don't share the same opinion you have yet to actually have a amateur or pro fight or even been around fellow fighters in a gym. Being around an MMA gym alone would actually give you a better idea on how fighters can badly injure themselves in a fight rendering them unable to fight up to YOUR standards.

Last edited 5/2/11 4:55PM server time by D0wnUnd6e6r
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   5/2/11 4:51:53PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Do you actually re-read your posts? Every other phrase contradicts the other...and i also liked the way you avoided my video on the so called "legal strike".

Basically all fighters to you should be robots, I won't go into too many details or drag this along any more cause i find that responding to these kinds of posts make me dumber everytime but to sum it up quickly it is physically impossible to get hurt significantly (breaking a body part, blinding eye poke, whatever really) and still be able to fight at 100% the remainder of the fight.

Clearly if you don't share the same opinion you have yet to actually have a amateur or pro fight or even been around fellow fighters in a gym. Being around an MMA gym alone would actually give you a better idea on how fighters can badly injure themselves in a fight rendering them unable to fight up to YOUR standards.

Did you read my post? Because I responded to the video in the one above. Go read that.

Listen buddy, we're not debating that an injury keeps you from fighting at 100%. I don't know how you can't understand this. The point is whether the injury is a result of a legal strike, because then its just 'fight damage' like whats mentioned in the scoring criteria in MMA in Japan.

Also, the only people who resort to attacking someone's credentials are the ones who don't have a good argument.

I'm not a fighter, no. But I do train with a lot of top level professional fighters. I see them experiencing injuries. I also understand what it means to compete because I'm active in Jiu Jitsu competition.

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean you have to attack them.

Last edited 5/3/11 2:14PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   5/3/11 2:12:58PM