Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cesar Gracie: Showtime snub led to Jason "Mayhem" Miller's deal with UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,394-765
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There's a reason fans didn't see Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Nick Diaz or Miller vs. Tim Kennedy, and it has nothing to do with weight or scheduling.

According to Diaz's trainer Cesar Gracie, the move of "Mayhem" from Strikeforce to the UFC was based in part on Showtime's disinterest in putting him on the premium-cable channel.

LINK

I don't buy this at all.

Post #1   4/27/11 5:36:50PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,534-933
Chips:
After reading the article, I would definitely say Cesar Gracie presents a plausible scenario, if things went down as he described. Mayhem being taken off the Kennedy fight was very weird.

Post #2   4/27/11 6:07:21PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,394-765
Chips:
Ok found this.

"Dana White confirmed Cesar’s comments from earlier today on MMAJunkie radio that the main reason for signing Jason Miller was that “Mayhem” was banned from fighting on both CBS and Showtime by network brass because of his role in the Nasville brawl (Funny they had no problem with Diaz, who threw the first punch, or Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez, who were also involved in the skirmish"

Post #3   4/27/11 8:00:38PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
That's some fine detective work Lou! I mean, telnights....

Post #4   4/27/11 8:21:38PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Joe Rogan asked Mayhem on his podcast about why he wasn't fighting Tim Kennedy on that card and Jason essentially said he couldn't answer the question but he suggested that he knew something was going on.

One of the most bogus things I've ever heard. Mayhem had nothing to do with starting the brawl beyond walking into the cage, something he freely admits was a mistake, and he apologized for it immediately. Apologized for trying to hype a rematch and then getting jumped by 3 professional fighters, and getting kicked in the head. Yet somehow all of the others involved don't have any problem continuing to fight for Strikeforce or get on TV.

I've got to wonder what was the motivation behind singling out Mayhem for this incident. I've got a couple ideas, but that's about it. I'd love to hear Mayhem talk about this someday just to see if I'm right.

Post #5   4/27/11 8:47:41PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I've got to wonder what was the motivation behind singling out Mayhem for this incident.

The idea is to throw 1 person under the bus instead of 3 (now 2) champions.

Post #6   4/27/11 8:52:48PM   

Makaveli158

Learning to Sprawl

Makaveli158 Avatar

Career:387-311
Camp: /r/mma
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by RyanC

I've got to wonder what was the motivation behind singling out Mayhem for this incident.

The idea is to throw 1 person under the bus instead of 3 (now 2) champions.

That's the way the world works folks. Throw Miller, who doesn't have too much star power, under the bus and let the money makers walk free. Miller shouldn't have got in the cage in the first place, but the Gracie team didn't react in a professional matter either. It all worked out for Miller though, he is in the UFC now and if he performs well he can welcome a bigger paycheck.

On a side note, Funny how these people make a living off of fighting, are paid to fight, train to fight, promoted as fighters.....but when a situation such as the Nashville Brawl occurs and the FIGHTERS respond like FIGHTERS suddenly there is a big ****** problem for everyone involved....... It's kinda like a tiger that attacks someone in a zoo, the tiger didn't go crazy - the tiger went TIGER. What do you expect?

Should just give everyone a fine and let them go about their business.

Post #7   4/27/11 9:30:44PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:
If he was told by the brass not to go in to the cage, and he did so anyhow, anything that would happen afterwards is the direct result of Mayhem's actions. Some would say that is more disrespectful than Kanye upstaging Taylor Swift....

Sure, you wouldn't think a full blown brawl would erupt, but that's on Miller. He jumps in the ring, apparently against the will of the producers, and tries to hype himself and a rematch with Jake? I like Mayhem, but c'mon man! Stepping on toes....

Post #8   4/27/11 9:41:30PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

If he was told by the brass not to go in to the cage, and he did so anyhow, anything that would happen afterwards is the direct result of Mayhem's actions. Some would say that is more disrespectful than Kanye upstaging Taylor Swift....

Sure, you wouldn't think a full blown brawl would erupt, but that's on Miller. He jumps in the ring, apparently against the will of the producers, and tries to hype himself and a rematch with Jake? I like Mayhem, but c'mon man! Stepping on toes....

I can't believe you just used a Kanye/Taylor Swift reference on an MMA forum...

Post #9   4/27/11 10:35:31PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by pmoney

I can't believe you just used a Kanye/Taylor Swift reference on an MMA forum...

I'm here to please

Post #10   4/27/11 10:47:17PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
SF bigs can deny it all they want but I still believe without a doubt that Coker told Mayhem to go into the cage and ruffle some feathers. Mayhem can deny it as well, I would just call that being a good employe trying to save face for SF. I find it hard to believe showtime would ban anything from their programing, with some of the shows they air and it not happening on their station.

I think if anything like ceaser said to Mayhem, was said to Nick by someone his responce to that nonsense would be "where I come from you'd get slaped in the mouth for sayin $h!t like that" Showtime blackballen Mayhem isn't the reason the fight with Diaz didn't happen. If Nick wanted to fight Mayhem he wouldn't have let weight or showtime stop him, cuz they could have always signed the fight in DREAM and fought there. It was a lose lose fight for Nick and he new it, if he won so what he just curb stomped him with 3 of his hommies on cbs and if he lost then everyone would have made a big deal about him needing a "Posse" to help him beat 1 guy and garbage like that. So no matter how apealing that fight is, it will always be tanted for Diaz. ( Now before you Diaz junkies get all upitty re-read what I wrote I did not say nick was afraid or anything of that nature so relax and breathe)

Post #11   4/28/11 12:16:20AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
crap double posted it

Last edited 4/28/11 12:19AM server time by supatolacyl
Edit note/reason: double post

Post #12   4/28/11 12:17:17AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
im just glad to see mayhem in the ufc. i think hes a very legit fighter. he's very underrated IMO. i dont think the ufc will let him get away with his crazy entrances though

Post #13   4/28/11 3:03:23AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
I find this unfair treatment. If Mayhem is banned from CBS and Showtime then they should ban Gus Johnson as well. Its only fair.

Post #14   4/28/11 3:41:28AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I think the brass totally sent mayhem into the ring, other wise, there is no way in hell he would have got in there, fighter or not, you cant just walk into the cage.
I dont buy it for a minute

Post #15   4/28/11 6:11:23AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2