Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

B.J. Penn: 'Teammates Have to Fight Each Other'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If you're a UFC fighter who's unhappy about being pressured into fighting your friends and teammates, don't come crying to B.J. Penn.

The former UFC welterweight and lightweight champion said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that it's all part of the game, and fighters should plan accordingly.

"I think teammates have to fight each other, and I knew that the whole time," Penn said. "That's why I would always distance myself. Of course they have to. I always thought it was B.S. that [Josh] Koscheck and [Jon] Fitch wouldn't have to fight, but they can just keep taking turns going for title shots, but they never had to fight each other? That doesn't make sense."

Article

Post #1   4/26/11 5:58:21PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I thibk it is crazy to have people from the same gym try to fight one another. But I also belive that these super gyms are going to start to fall apart a bit. We are going to see more boxing type training camps.

Post #2   4/26/11 6:01:01PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,489-1,490
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i actually think they should be like Golden Glory, where they don't mind fightin each other..n they actually put on a show..but i know how most mma fighters are talkers..i'm the f*ckin best, but guess what..we think ur team-mate is the best..now what..too much talkin, not enough fightin..but like i been sayin..Dana is sick of this, so sooner or later, it's gon happen..be prepared for Kos vs Fitch late 2011/ early 2012.i can feel it. edit.what i do like is fighters doin their job..

Last edited 4/26/11 8:21PM server time by rhythmandstyle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/26/11 7:30:04PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,243-1,382
Camp: Bum Chin Black Belts
Chips:
Hes right team mates have got to fight each other! Its a sport at the end of the day and in every other sport team mates compete against each other.

Some fighters are willing to and some are not, they all need to do it if the situation arises.

Post #4   4/26/11 7:48:23PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

Hes right team mates have got to fight each other! Its a sport at the end of the day and in every other sport team mates compete against each other.

Please explain? I have never seen a sports team attempt to beat there own team.

Post #5   4/26/11 8:12:57PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by mattjonesy

Ok football and rugby for example they compete as team mates but alot compete against each other on an international level same goes for alot of other sports.

Post #6   4/26/11 8:24:12PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mattjonesy

Posted by postman

Posted by mattjonesy

Ok football and rugby for example they compete as team mates but alot compete against each other on an international level same goes for alot of other sports.

LOL I didn't notice you were from across the pond. Its a little different though when you are trying to kick a ball into a net. Comparing that to getting punched in the face is a hard sell.

Post #7   4/26/11 9:31:08PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Chips:

LOL I didn't notice you were from across the pond. Its a little different though when you are trying to kick a ball into a net. Comparing that to getting punched in the face is a hard sell.

Yeh ure right but what im trying to say is it needs to be looked at in a different light. Alot of fighters will fight team mates because they look at it not as just fighting but a sport and it wouldnt change their relationship afterwards.

Come to think of it everytime good friends or team mates have fought they seem alot closer after the fight!

Post #8   4/26/11 10:07:34PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Easy to say for a guy who has no prominant teammates. Seriously though, BJ is completely right on this one.

Post #9   4/26/11 10:36:12PM   

dreius

Learning to Sprawl

Career:82-53
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by mattjonesy

Okay, but what you will see in football is that one player may have gone to college and developed strong bonds with some of his teammates, but in the NFL the men will likely not be on the same teams. Now these men don't sit there and say "oh well we're friends so I'm going to hold up and not hit the guy as hard". Instead they understand they are still friends, but their job includes hitting one another and they accept that they may have to do that to one of their friends.

Now I accept there is an even greater relationship among mma fighters, because of the way camps are set up. However, fighting is these guy's jobs, and when two of the best are at the top sometimes it just makes sense that they need to fight.

Post #10   4/26/11 10:52:08PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:605-398
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Teamates should fight eachover because this is a sport and it's all about competition and finding out who's the best. But guys like Rashad have to play all this lovey dovey crap come on even if he is your teamate it doesn't matter because in the end one or the other is moving up the ladder and the other stays on the sidelines as a cheerleader.

Last edited 4/26/11 11:08PM server time by Lesnar1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   4/26/11 11:07:06PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
as a fighter its your duty to go in and fight. no matter whos in front of you. thats how you make your money so thats just the way it needs to be

Post #12   4/27/11 12:05:45AM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:1,142-600
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
B.J. keeping it real here.

Teammate fights actually would be more exciting for the fans to watch. The familiarity that they would have of each others game would make for some exciting action!

Post #13   4/27/11 12:17:08AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,588-965
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Michael_Corleone

B.J. keeping it real here.

Teammate fights actually would be more exciting for the fans to watch. The familiarity that they would have of each others game would make for some exciting action!

I think that teammate familiarity could work for either an exciting fight, or a really boring one. Either they feel they know the other guy so well, they can come out and bring the fight to them and make it exciting. Or they could feel they know the other guy so well, they are hesitant and don't really press the action because they think the other guy knows what they will do.

I agree that teammates need to fight each other.

Post #14   4/27/11 12:56:18AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

If you're a UFC fighter who's unhappy about being pressured into fighting your friends and teammates, don't come crying to B.J. Penn.

The former UFC welterweight and lightweight champion said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that it's all part of the game, and fighters should plan accordingly.

"I think teammates have to fight each other, and I knew that the whole time," Penn said. "That's why I would always distance myself. Of course they have to. I always thought it was B.S. that [Josh] Koscheck and [Jon] Fitch wouldn't have to fight, but they can just keep taking turns going for title shots, but they never had to fight each other? That doesn't make sense."

Article

Beej is sooooo right!

Post #15   4/27/11 1:59:29AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2