Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Damn, Already? Randy Says UFC Could ‘Step Up’ to Avoid His Retirement, Admits Turning Down Jon Jones Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
OK, before we all start dumping Haterade on Randy Couture, let us state for the record that in the following new video interview with Steve Cofield he still sounds pretty certain he’ll be retiring after UFC 129. In fact, Couture seems a little bit pissed off at this point that people keep asking him about it. Chalk it up to run-of-the-mill fight-week orneriness maybe, but we think we detect a slight edge creeping into “The Natural’s” voice when Cofield claims “one of his media buddies” got a text from Dana White that sums up Couture’s plan to call it quits after this weekend’s fight with Lyoto Machida by saying: “Retire? Not if he wins.”

“It doesn’t matter if I win or not,” Couture sort of snaps. “I know them, I know Dana. He’s got plans already and it doesn’t matter to me. He’s going to really have to step up if he thinks I’m going to come back out (of retirement). I don’t think that’s going to happen. There’s a lot of younger guys … Jon Jones is the perfect example. They offered me that fight in the fall. Nobody wants to fight that cat right now. I don’t see that battle in my future.”

LINK

Post #1   4/26/11 3:44:57PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
It wouldn't be smart for him to fight Jones, he would get really hurt. I mean I hate to write the guy off like that but Jones is way too good. Randy might beat Machida, but even that will be tough.

Post #2   4/26/11 5:13:12PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
What's new, Randy has handpicked many many fights before.

Post #3   4/26/11 6:04:09PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Dont think UFC wants to step up and turn this Couture thing into what happened to Liddell.

Post #4   4/26/11 6:42:59PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:499-337
Camp: Icemen
Chips:
If Randy wants to call it quits let him he should be able to do what he wants Dana White is just an egomaniac control freak I hope Randy beats Machida just to rub it into Dana's big bold head.

Post #5   4/26/11 11:12:41PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

If Randy wants to call it quits let him he should be able to do what he wants Dana White is just an egomaniac control freak I hope Randy beats Machida just to rub it into Dana's big bold head.

I can say with confidence that Dana is rooting for Randy in this fight. He's a bigger draw, it gets him better press if Randy wins and we all know Dana is all about the dollar first and fighter second. For some reason most casual UFC fans at events root for Randy even when he's clinching and praying the whole fight, but they will boo a less popular fighter for doing the same thing.

Post #6   4/26/11 11:43:57PM