Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Jones injured, Phil Davis vs Rashad Evans now targeted for UFC 133

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Makaveli158

Learning to Sprawl

Makaveli158 Avatar

Career:387-311
Camp: /r/mma
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I am probably as frustrated as Rashad Evans right now! Talk about taking one step forward and two steps back.

May 2010 - Shogun Rua KO's Machida for UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. Suffers a knee injury. First title defense over ten months later on March 19th, 2011.

September 2010 - Jose Aldo beats Manny Gamburyan, becoming the last WEC Featherweight Champion. Is given the UFC Featherweight Championship. Out of action for seven months until first title defense on April 30th, 2011.

October 2010 - Cain Velasquez beats Brock Lesnar for the UFC HW title. Six months later Cain doesn't even have a date to defend his title.

December 2010 - Dominick Cruz beats Scott Jorgensen to become the last WEC and first UFC Bantamweight Champion. First defense not until July 2nd, 2011.

And now this......

Meanwhile, Nick Diaz has defended his belt 3 times since October. Not to mention the non-title Dream match vs Sakurai he took..... after he won the SF WW belt in January 2010. A True champion imo.

Post #31   4/25/11 6:34:14PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,552-908
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Tito took Rashad down when he wanted to, I think Davis can use a similar plan and take a decision. One thing that has changed is that Rashad has developed some knockout power, but he still has a jerky style much like Keith Jardine and that plays right into Davis's hands. If it's an interim fight I'll pick Rashad, if it's a three rounder I'm going with Davis for the upset.

Post #32   4/25/11 7:02:15PM   

underclasshero4

Learning to Sprawl

Career:51-36
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

New opponent = same result....Mr. Wonderful by UD

Not so sure about that after the trouble he had with Lil Nog...I think Rashad would possibly beat Lil Nog worse than Davis...

UFC is in need of more elite fighters for sure...ANd to be more careful in matchmaking....I woudl have never put Bader against Jon Jones they both were up and coming.....

Which is why that fight produced the results it did. You need to have up and coming fighters go head to head to prove who is the best. Not go around one another because that proves nothing. As far as up and comers the ufc has plenty. I'm sure you watch alot of MMA just look at the smaller fights. Evans > Davis just saying.

Post #33   4/25/11 7:15:31PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by underclasshero4

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

New opponent = same result....Mr. Wonderful by UD

Not so sure about that after the trouble he had with Lil Nog...I think Rashad would possibly beat Lil Nog worse than Davis...

UFC is in need of more elite fighters for sure...ANd to be more careful in matchmaking....I woudl have never put Bader against Jon Jones they both were up and coming.....

Which is why that fight produced the results it did. You need to have up and coming fighters go head to head to prove who is the best. Not go around one another because that proves nothing. As far as up and comers the ufc has plenty. I'm sure you watch alot of MMA just look at the smaller fights. Evans > Davis just saying.

You miss what i am saying...Bader could be a champion I believe and also believe he could beat Phil Davis...So with that said you could of had Bader as a potential challenger for the title...I think he needed a couple more fights...

Personally I would keep throwing the up and comers against teh old guys like Shogun, rampage and Forrest and gauge them from there....For all we know Bader could beat everyone but Jones...I honestly think his wrestling can do it...

Post #34   4/25/11 7:31:03PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:633-416
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Crap Jones is injured I was looking foward to seeing him beat the crap out of Rashad. Oh well now at least there is a possibility of a Jones v Davis matchup which is the best matchup the LHW division has to offer IMO. Evans would of got tko'd by Jones anyway and he will lose to Davis as well which sets up Davis v Jones nicely.

Post #35   4/25/11 9:58:05PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Rashad can't take Davis down? Thats just crazy talk, I don't think rashad will be worried about davis's stand up and wont even try to get the fight to the mat. rashad uses his speed very well and his right hand has come into it's own, and it looks like davis tends to hold his hands a little low (davis really needed to follow through with taking time off to refine his striking), which i feel will be his downfall in this fight. I see Rashad getting a tko stoppage. Rashad needed a fight after this layoff with injury, so he could knock the rust off before having to fight Jones. It may not change things for when he faces jones but going in witha long layoff always spells disaster.

Post #36   4/26/11 12:32:07AM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I just have a question, these injuries are legit right? I know that Dana White picks the match-ups and things, but doesn't anyone think that the timing of some of these injuries leaves a little room for speculation?

I never wish injury on any fighter, nor do I want see a ignore an injury. The point is to see two fighters at their physical peak, but I just sometimes wonder how much of a ringmaster Dana White really is.

Does my doubt make any sort of sense?

Post #37   4/26/11 2:14:29AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by zxandu

I just have a question, these injuries are legit right? I know that Dana White picks the match-ups and things, but doesn't anyone think that the timing of some of these injuries leaves a little room for speculation?

I never wish injury on any fighter, nor do I want see a ignore an injury. The point is to see two fighters at their physical peak, but I just sometimes wonder how much of a ringmaster Dana White really is.

You would have to explain more. Why would they have Jones fake an injury they already have huge hype for the Evans fight. I see no financial benefit to scrap a cash cow like Evans vs Jones

Post #38   4/26/11 7:30:04AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by zxandu

Joe Silva makes the match ups.

This is arguably the hardest sport on the planet to train for, and with that comes injuries. They may be at their physical peaks, but it doesn't mean they aren't susceptible to injuries. The guys that train the most and the hardest seem to be the ones that make their way to the top, so it only seems befitting that when you train harder and longer, you're more apt to pick up a knock in training.

With that being said, I like this match up quite a bit. I've been high on Phil Davis for some time now and I would love to see how he stacks up with the elite in the division. Nogueira is a good fighter, but at this point, he doesn't stack up with the top 5 in the division. Davis will find out soon enough if he can take Rashad down, and if he could submit him. He better do some training off of his back though, because I can't put it past Rashad to get him to the mat.

Post #39   4/26/11 10:18:59AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rashad will use his standup, and should get the win.

I think Davis is the better wrestler, more athletic, but Rashad is smarter experienced fighter, who can take hw's down. What is interesting is if Rashad cant keep this fight standing, he may be in big trouble .Rashad hasn't fought high level wrestler since Tito (a while ago), and Rashad has the tendency to gas in 3rd round, and or get punched and almost lose, add in the ring rust, and this is a pick em fight in my opinion.

Post #40   4/26/11 11:55:14AM   

tn_rebel

Standup Guy

tn_rebel Avatar

Career:795-515
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
This is too bad, I was looking forward to seeing Rashad get destroyed. I see this fight being as boring as the rashad vs. rampage

Post #41   4/26/11 12:21:08PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by zxandu

You would have to explain more. Why would they have Jones fake an injury they already have huge hype for the Evans fight. I see no financial benefit to scrap a cash cow like Evans vs Jones

Theres not a benefit for the UFC to fake injury but there is for the fighter who is champion...You are able to go look for sponsors as a champion therefore getting a more lucrative deal...I mean they have managers but I would bet any good sponsor would want to meet the athlete himself...In a career like this if you are a champion you should milk it for all its worth....

Post #42   4/26/11 12:39:46PM   

arenakingbras

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-1
Chips:
I feel bad for Evans because he hasn't fought since beating Rampage and to have a title shot right at your finger tips and then be yanked away through no fault of hi own is rough. But what about Jones? I feel even more sorry for him. He's rolling right now and is definitely the "next big thing" in MMA.

Last edited 4/29/11 12:31PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #43   4/26/11 6:10:35PM   

zxandu

MMA Regular

zxandu Avatar

Career:258-224
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
OK. Thanks for the information guys. See, cause I didn't know that Joe Silva makes the match-ups. I'm still learning a lot about this sport, and thank you for shining some light on me.

Post #44   4/29/11 1:27:00AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

You miss what i am saying...Bader could be a champion I believe and also believe he could beat Phil Davis...So with that said you could of had Bader as a potential challenger for the title...I think he needed a couple more fights...

Personally I would keep throwing the up and comers against teh old guys like Shogun, rampage and Forrest and gauge them from there....For all we know Bader could beat everyone but Jones...I honestly think his wrestling can do it...

His wrestling was barely enough to win a shaky decision over nog, i think you're vastly overrating Bader's takedowns/Cardio.

Post #45   4/29/11 3:14:35AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3