Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fight day meal?

Print  
Posted By Message

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
What do fighters usually eat the day of their fight, how much do they eat, and how long before a fight do they eat?

Post #1   4/29/07 3:41:40PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Everyone does it differently, but most people eat protein heavy foods as much as possible, until about four hours before they fight.

If you pop in a UFC dvd and watch the behind the scenes stuff, you can get a good idea about who does what after weigh-ins and before the fights.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   4/30/07 1:09:23AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I think it depends on what your body is like.

One thing I learned from running is not to eat something totally different, that you're used to, on race day.

I personally would stay away from a very high protein diet. If I eat too much protein my body aches. This is probably from the fact that protein break down increases acidity of the body, of which your body neutralizes with calcium.

I would stick to a balanced healthy diet that is easy to digest. Stay away from high glycemic index foods (simple sugars) that will spike you insulin levels. These will only make you run down faster.

Post #3   4/30/07 11:31:04AM   

Krupp

Learning to Sprawl

Krupp Avatar

Career:125-79
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Everyone does it differently, but most people eat protein heavy foods as much as possible, until about four hours before they fight.

If you pop in a UFC dvd and watch the behind the scenes stuff, you can get a good idea about who does what after weigh-ins and before the fights.

See, i disagree with that. Protein heavy foods will not give you as much energy as carbohydrates will before serious competition.

At the same time, I'm not advising you to load up on a rediculous amount of carbohydrates. For me, its about balancing it all out.

It is going to be different for every human beings. Some prefer to eat lightly and hydrate themselves a lot, if posssible (myself included). Others, like my twin brother, prefer to eat a lot about two hours before their fight/match, and feel fine.

I would recommend something like a turkey sandwich, or perhaps oatmeal with lots of water, or a peanut butter sandwich, an hour or two before a fight.

Post #4   4/30/07 8:41:13PM   

JWall023

MMA Regular

JWall023 Avatar

Career:105-54
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
yeah well in school they say you should eat a big meal the night before so you have energy the day cuz if you eat the day of the fight you body wont have enough time to digest it so it dosent really matter

Post #5   4/30/07 10:20:38PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:

Posted by Krupp

See, i disagree with that. Protein heavy foods will not give you as much energy as carbohydrates will before serious competition.

At the same time, I'm not advising you to load up on a rediculous amount of carbohydrates. For me, its about balancing it all out.

It is going to be different for every human beings. Some prefer to eat lightly and hydrate themselves a lot, if posssible (myself included). Others, like my twin brother, prefer to eat a lot about two hours before their fight/match, and feel fine.

I would recommend something like a turkey sandwich, or perhaps oatmeal with lots of water, or a peanut butter sandwich, an hour or two before a fight.

Thats chill dude. Its just what works for me. I fight in the tournament setting, so I eat a ton of meat, eggs and bread the night before, and then some fruit, non-greasy meats and eggs about two or three hours before the first fight. The food going in on fight day isn't going to do too much except keep you from feeling hungry, so thats why I like heavy foods, as they sit in the stomach during the pre-fight and are a bit easier to digest for myself. Tim Sylvia does something similar for what thats worth to you.

Like I said, its good to pop in a UFC and see how the pros do it. Rich Franklin for instance eats a pile of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, guzzles gatorade and pedialite, and eats a banana right before his fight.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #6   4/30/07 11:50:43PM   

ordean

Learning to Sprawl

ordean Avatar

Career:341-247
Chips:
low fiber, high protein. Don't wanna have the farts in the ring / cage.

It all depends. I wouldn't try and eat a special meal because you are not sure how your body will react. East what you like and you know won't mess with the tummy.

Post #7   5/16/07 6:50:18PM   

Signal2112

Standup Guy

Signal2112 Avatar

Career:52-22
Chips:
I would go for the balanced option, but as has been said, it's best to find out what works for you. A banana, a couple of tangerines and water would probably do me. Certainly, no reheated chicken curries or anything dodgy like that!

Post #8   6/3/07 1:02:02PM