Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 129: Georges St-Pierre Believes Jake Shields Would Beat Every Contender He’s Ever Faced

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,713-961
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Some fans might be counting Jake Shields out in his fight against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 129. Some fighters might be counting Jake Shields out in his fight against Georges St-Pierre at UFC 129. Oddsmakers have Shields as a four-to-one underdog going into UFC 129.

But there’s one key person who knows exactly how dangerous Jake Shields is. That person is Georges St-Pierre.

St-Pierre has had past opponents come at him with trash talk trying to get into his head, but with Shields he believes he’s legitimately facing the best fighter he’s ever fought at 170 pounds.

The Canadian champion has had his eye on Shields even before he came to the UFC, and mentioned fighting him a few years ago. Now that they are on a collision course in Toronto, St-Pierre will never look at Shields as an underdog. Shields is a champion, capable of beating the best in the world and that includes Georges St-Pierre.

LINK

Post #1   4/21/11 5:43:45PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Shields has a better chance of beating GSP than Fitch ever will.

Post #2   4/21/11 8:08:39PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,384-1,280
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think fitch would beat him

Post #3   4/21/11 8:35:13PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I think GSP is right to a point in his statements. I think Shields beats everyone in the WW division 9 times out of 10, with the exception of probably BJ whose TDD and BJJ would be enough to nullify any form of offense Shields would try to put together. Fitch would probably get beat by Shields. His style of takedowns and lay and pray decisions would play too much into Shields' favor and he'd probably end up getting swept time and time again, or submitted. Shields ground game and BJJ aren't to be messed with. It would be safest to avoid it like the plague. Of course, I may be biased as I am a huge Shields fan.

Post #4   4/21/11 9:08:31PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
I don't know if Sheilds would beat Fitch or Hughes in his prime but I think GSP is just trying to hype the fight up everytime he faces a new contender he says Oh he's the most dangerous guy i've ever fought trying to sell the fight i guess it's his job but i've heard this story before. Sheilds is definitely dangerous in many areas but GSP is to good for him and another boring decision victory will happen for GSP.

Post #5   4/21/11 9:53:34PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Maybe if he tried to sprawl and brawl, I'm still not sure he could stop Shield's take downs.

If the fight hit the mat though, Shields would win. He tooled fitch in submission grappling.

I think GSP is right. Shields is his toughest challenger yet. Alves, BJ, and Hughes were probably the next toughest.

Post #6   4/21/11 10:27:50PM   

mojo

Learning to Sprawl

mojo Avatar

Career:278-163
Camp: WEYBURN TOP TEAM
Chips:
I know it's said a lot but submisson grappling is a lot different when you throw in striking. I'm not saying that Fitch would beat Jake on the ground, but in would be a lot more even of a contest when you throw in strikes. On another note, I rewatched the GSP/Kos fight the other day and GSP's jab reminded me of the Lewis/ Tyson fight. GSP was throwing the same jab as Lennox did the whole fight. It's a kind of stutter fake double jab that has the guy blocking the first jab that doesnt come and getting hit by the second or third one. Great technique and a very high level tool that is very effective in the somewhat limited boxing realm of MMA.

Post #7   4/21/11 11:23:45PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
if koscheck went for takedowns on shields and put him on his back koscheck would beat shields. and if alves could land enough leg kicks early on shields hed beat him too. other than that, gsps statement is true

Post #8   4/22/11 4:00:40AM   

DANZANRYUGUY

MMA Regular

DANZANRYUGUY Avatar

Career:1,490-1,138
Camp: Mountain Storm Combat Club
Chips:
id like to see Shields and Kos fight. i thought Alves was GSP's toughest opponent so far. Shields vs. Condit would be a good fight to.

Post #9   4/22/11 9:19:52AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by prozacnation1978

Maybe if he tried to sprawl and brawl, I'm still not sure he could stop Shield's take downs.

If the fight hit the mat though, Shields would win. He tooled fitch in submission grappling.

I think GSP is right. Shields is his toughest challenger yet. Alves, BJ, and Hughes were probably the next toughest.

they are 1-1 in submission grappling

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #10   4/22/11 3:29:48PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
Fitch could beat Shields via better striking, but this fight imo is a coin flip. Koscheck also has a shot, but only if he keeps the fight standing with his great TDD. i dont see any other WW beating Shields

- Alves would get put on his ass and submitted.
- BJ would get taken down and possibly submitted. Shields top game >>> Penns bottom game.
- Condit got tooled for 2 rounds by Rory Macdonald, and Shields already beat him a few years ago (mmath ftw).
- Diego is nearly unsubmittable but his wreckless style will put him in bad positions.
- Rumble got planted many times by Koscheck and also got submitted...Shields will to the same
- Hardy will get GSP'd again, but this time will get subbed
- DHK will lose anywhere the fight goes

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #11   4/22/11 3:41:02PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Jake is getting overlooked because of his last performance where he cut from Middle weight to WW.

I dont think the weight cut will be an issue this time

Sheilds doesnt have the best takedowns in the sport, but he runs after you until getting a hold no matter what you throw at him,plus he beat Hendo!!!

We will never know who he can beat until he fights them, but I think he beats most people at ww and mw in the UFC.

Jake could beat Fitch but not Kos imo because Jake has more bjj tools than Fitch and equal wrestling
kos would be able to ko him and stuff any clinch
I think GSP will ko Shields in the 5th round
and Anderson would ko Shields in the 1st or second round

Last edited 4/22/11 5:10PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #12   4/22/11 5:05:51PM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,466-906
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Jake is getting overlooked because of his last performance where he cut from Middle weight to WW.

I dont think the weight cut will be an issue this time

Sheilds doesnt have the best takedowns in the sport, but he runs after you until getting a hold no matter what you throw at him,plus he beat Hendo!!!

We will never know who he can beat until he fights them, but I think he beats most people at ww and mw in the UFC.

Jake could beat Fitch but not Kos imo because Jake has more bjj tools than Fitch and equal wrestling
kos would be able to ko him and stuff any clinch
I think GSP will ko Shields in the 5th round
and Anderson would ko Shields in the 1st or second round

Honestly, I think that Shields would have a much better chance at beating God incarnate, AKA Anderson Silva, than GSP would. Shields BJJ is 10x better than GSPs is, and Shields top game is probably at least 2x better than GSPs is and he is better at passing guards than GSP. His wrestling probably isn't as good as GSP's, but it's still formidable. These are all things that Shields has that are pretty much a necessity to beat Silva, and a lot of these tools are those that GSP doesn't have. Shields could actually submit Silva if he got him down, which is something we can't say about GSP. I'm not saying Shields would beat Silva, I'm just saying he has a much better chance and would put up a better fight against Silva than GSP would IMO.

Post #13   4/22/11 7:22:58PM