Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jake Shields expects to be taken down by GSP

Print  
Posted By Message

mmaisthehit

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:

“I think it’s gonna be a great fight. I’m excited. GSP is a phenomenal fighter. I have a ton of respect for him. It’s gonna be an all out war, but I see myself winning. It’s a fight I’m going out there to win. I’m not going out there to get beat in the fight. I’m going out there to be the new UFC champ.”...

Jake Shields expects to be taken down by GSP

So is that true and can he stop GSP's takedowns? I'm not so sure about that, he has great wrestling but GSP is a freak of nature athlete and trains more than anyone. What do you think?

Post #1   4/19/11 12:28:44PM   

KTFOd

Learning to Sprawl

Career:54-24
Chips:
I'm sure Shields' will be able to stuff a takedown here and there, but for the most part I am certain that Shields will fight on his back a few times in this fight. When GSP say's he is going to play it safe, that does not mean he will avoid the ground all together. He will look to score takedowns and do as much damage as he can from the top. If he feels threatened he will get back up. I expect this to go all 5 rounds and Shields has 25 min to make something happen. People should never doubt Shields, you never know what may happen.

Post #2   4/19/11 1:01:16PM   

roofer1967

MMA Regular

roofer1967 Avatar

Career:850-518
Camp: Frontline
Chips:
I'm really looking forward to this fight. I really think this should be the best test gsp has had since he first one the title. Not to take anything away from Serra. But Shields has a real shot at winning not just a punchers chance.

Both fighters have been way to strong for their competition in the past on the ground. I'm just looking foward to seeing who will get top position first and to see if they can keep it or will it just go back and forth for 5 rnds.

Post #3   4/19/11 2:25:00PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
I don't know why GSP would even want to go to the mat with Shields. IMO, Shields has almost no chance to win a stand up fight. The only reason I see GSP going for takedowns is to keep Shields off balance to set up more strikes.

GSP 4th Round TKO.

Post #4   4/19/11 4:20:10PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by JWils

I don't know why GSP would even want to go to the mat with Shields. IMO, Shields has almost no chance to win a stand up fight. The only reason I see GSP going for takedowns is to keep Shields off balance to set up more strikes.

This is my take on it, also. A late-round takedown could win a round with the takedown-happy judges and keep Shields on his proverbial toes without giving him time to get a submission. But if GSP plans to roll with Shields for more than 30 seconds or a minute, I'd like to know it in advance so I can pick Shields...

Post #5   4/19/11 5:46:52PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He will
But shields is a wiz off his back.
He could catch george with something

Post #6   4/20/11 7:20:54PM   

Michael_Corleone

Belt Contender

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:997-529
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
GSP ALL-DAY.

Takedowns, pressure, control, and ground & pound.

Post #7   4/20/11 11:08:34PM