Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Has Gilbert Melendez accomplished more than Frankie Edgar?

Print  
Posted By Message

mmaisthehit

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Some Melendez article

So, in short, they say that he is the best 155lb fighter. And they may be right.

But, if the hype train is to start, he must fight one of the big three dogs in the UFC: Maynard, B.J. and Edgar. Before that, it will remain a futile argument like the Fedor being the best HW was and it may end in a similarly anticlimactic way... With him losing to someone outside the UFC without ever meeting those guys.

What do you think?

Post #1   4/15/11 11:34:06AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Not even close let him fight BJ penn twice...I bet he loses both...Being honest I have said already I am more impressed with the last two victories of Clay Guida than I am Melendez as far as opponents..

Post #2   4/15/11 11:39:54AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by mmaisthehit

Some Melendez article

So, in short, they say that he is the best 155lb fighter. And they may be right.

But, if the hype train is to start, he must fight one of the big three dogs in the UFC: Maynard, B.J. and Edgar. Before that, it will remain a futile argument like the Fedor being the best HW was and it may end in a similarly anticlimactic way... With him losing to someone outside the UFC without ever meeting those guys.

What do you think?

I think for someone to compare beating Kawajiri and Aoki to beating Penn, not once but twice, is legitimately insane. Gil isn't even close to accomplishing what Edgar has. Not yet at least.

Post #3   4/15/11 11:44:38AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by mmaisthehit

Some Melendez article

What do you think?

I think for someone to compare beating Kawajiri and Aoki to beating Penn, not once but twice, is legitimately insane. Gil isn't even close to accomplishing what Edgar has. Not yet at least.

Yeah and what about teh last two people Guida finished I think would beat the last two Melendez finished...Hands down...

Post #4   4/15/11 12:05:25PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Take penn out of the equation and edgar would have been just another fighter

Gilbert fought in pride as well, has more fights
But then again edgar has fought in ufc for years now
Top dog!!! I honestly think this could be a tie
But if edgar beats maynard. He is the best hands down

Post #5   4/15/11 4:46:04PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
**** no

Last edited 4/15/11 5:18PM server time by DeadHead988
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   4/15/11 5:17:59PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,803-1,002
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
There is no way you can take Penn out of the equation. Penn was known as the kingpin of the Lightweight division for years, and no one could touch him. Not only did Edgar beat the world's best Lightweight, but his first title defense was against the world's best Lightweight. Let's pretend this was the Middleweight division for a second. Edgar is like Okami, and beating Penn is like beating Silva. Imagine if Okami beat Silva, and had to turn around and fight him again to defend his belt. Just seems crazy, right? Because no one at Middleweight can touch Silva. That's how it was when Edgar beat Penn. No one gave him a chance, how could this natural Featherweight beat the world's greatest Lightweight? and even when he did the impossible, no one believed it, it had to be a fluke. So, what did he do? He did it again.

Edagr's Last Five Opponents:

Maynard
Penn
Penn
Veach
Sherk

Melendez's Last Five Opponents:

Kawajiri
Aoki
Thomson
Ishida
Damm

I just don't how a comparison can be made.

Post #7   4/15/11 6:58:12PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Melendez could very well turn out to be the better fighter, but pure accomplishments, you have to give it up to Edgar for currently holding and defending the UFC strap, against the best lw in the world at the time. Huge accomplishment that very few fighters get to experience in their careers, even the good ones.

Post #8   4/16/11 9:37:47AM   

WashULawyer

Learning to Sprawl

WashULawyer Avatar

Career:231-175
Chips:
Of Course Gilbert isnt even close to touching Edgar. Wins over Japanese mma guys in a cage or more or less worthless in my eyes in this modern era of MMA cage fighting. Thomson is vastly overrated, and at best can be compared to beating Veach...

But regardless of how you want to compare their accomplishments (which is impossible when one fights in the UFC and one fights in the minors), Gil wouldn't be able to touch Edgar in the cage. And I think Maynard would outwrestle Gil and win, and that Jim Miller would give him a hell of a fight and probably beat him. Then you have compelling fights against Guida and maybe Pettis (we'll see how Pettis fares in the UFC before stamping that)

Last edited 4/16/11 5:22PM server time by WashULawyer
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   4/16/11 3:26:01PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by WashULawyer
Thomson is vastly overrated, and at best can be compared to beating Veach...

Post #10   4/16/11 7:07:29PM   

WashULawyer

Learning to Sprawl

WashULawyer Avatar

Career:231-175
Chips:
what exactly has Thomson done to make him so impressive? Beat a young Gilbert? Lose to Guida after Guida had a point deducted? Lose to Kawajiri? Beat Nam Phan in a three round decision? Just because he was Strikeforce champ once upon a time doesnt show anything. He's beaten a laundry list of more or less no namers. Thomson would have a hard time competing against the mid tier LW competition in the UFC.

Post #11   4/16/11 8:05:50PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:531-352
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He's definitely up there but Frankie is the UFC lightweight champ that says it all. Melendez has ran through alot of guys but he hasn't faced the best of the best in the world and for him to be proclaimed number 1 in the world let him first fight Pettis, Guida, Maynard, Miller and Edgar then we should call him number 1 but until then at best he's number 3 IMO.

Post #12   4/17/11 2:01:46AM