Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

opinions on 10th planet?

Print  
opinions on 10th planet?
Positive view of the 10th planet system 13 100%
negative view of the 10th planet system 0 0%
not really a grappler... 0 0%
Posted By Message

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Personally, I'm a big subscriber to the 10th planet systems and theories. However, I know that a lot of people (many of my instructors and training partners included) either disapprove or look down upon it. Just wondering everyone else's opinions on it. Whether you are a supporter or a detractor, please explain your reasoning or personal experiences.

Post #1   4/14/11 10:53:30PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I believe in the techniques that are focal points but when they fail, they tend to lead to guys taking big hits from vulnerable positions, and you can't really win a decision from your back in modern MMA. It's just a continual evolution, ten years ago most of us didn't know half of these techniques that are too common now.

Post #2   4/14/11 11:35:28PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Positive view of the 10th planet system

Post #3   4/15/11 12:22:16AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
positive. a huge mart of our sport is using what works for you. they are just like any school/instructor/system, take the good and leave the bad.

Post #4   4/15/11 2:36:59AM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

positive. a huge mart of our sport is using what works for you. they are just like any school/instructor/system, take the good and leave the bad.

so true. I've been doing BJJ for about 6 months now and I've train with several people that go to different schools. All do the sweeps, Subs ect.. with modified moves on how to do it. I've tried to learn everyones way, try them in sparring and see which one works for me,

I'm still a white belt, but I can beat several blue belts. I'm also getting good positions and sweeps on purple belts also. Came close to a couple of subs, but those guys are f****ing good.

Post #5   4/15/11 2:13:54PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I'm happy to see all the support, on some other forums it's not so popular...

Post #6   4/15/11 5:04:23PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I trained in the gi for almost 2 years, and switched to the 10th Planet school in Saint Paul about a month ago, and I love it. I went to a Bravo seminar in August, and that was what really got me thinking about moving to 10th Planet and taking off the gi. I think Eddie's ideas, philosophies, and creativity are awesome. His system/style work very well for me because I'm a smaller guy (5'10" 155) so I'm almost always working from my back, and Eddie's system provides a lot of options from places that I find myself in regularly.

I totally know what you mean about the dislike for 10th Planet. I was met with a lot of negativity when I mentioned anything about Eddie at my previous school which is a Rickson affiliate and run by a Rickson black belt. The traditional guys don't really want to give Eddie any credit for what he's doing.

Post #7   4/17/11 12:28:07PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid
you can't really win a decision from your back in modern MMA

To be clear though, the tenth planet system is not just rubber guard and does not just teach you to fight off your back.

It is a complete jiu jitsu system. Gangsta Lean (mount), Twister Side Contol, Dog Fight, and Over Under Control are all prominent features of the system.

Post #8   6/20/11 1:52:21PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,960-1,164
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I trained in the gi for almost 2 years, and switched to the 10th Planet school in Saint Paul about a month ago, and I love it. I went to a Bravo seminar in August, and that was what really got me thinking about moving to 10th Planet and taking off the gi. I think Eddie's ideas, philosophies, and creativity are awesome. His system/style work very well for me because I'm a smaller guy (5'10" 155) so I'm almost always working from my back, and Eddie's system provides a lot of options from places that I find myself in regularly.

I totally know what you mean about the dislike for 10th Planet. I was met with a lot of negativity when I mentioned anything about Eddie at my previous school which is a Rickson affiliate and run by a Rickson black belt. The traditional guys don't really want to give Eddie any credit for what he's doing.

you think they would considering he was the first to tap Royler. I've got Bravo's 10th planet book that my brother and I dabbled with along with a no rules bjj book, and bravo's style is pretty revolutionary. It's a branch off traditional bjj, just like Helio's was a branch off Japanese jiu-jitsu.

Post #9   7/28/11 7:23:49PM