Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Andrei Arlovski's Long-Time Coach Thinks He Should Retire

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlvoski has had a rough 2 1/2 years since beating Roy Nelson by TKO at EliteXC:Heat in October 2008. He's been KO'd by Fedor Emelianenko, Brett Rogers and Sergei Kharitonov and lost via decision to Antonio Silva.

With the growth of his losing streak, many fans have called for Arlovski's retirement, but now his long-time striking coach Mike Garcia has joined the chorus, via Pro MMA Now:

"I didn't mean it like he doesn't have the skills. There's just... I just don't want to see him get hurt. There's something not clicking, and you can see in his last couple fights he's not the same Andrei. He says he wants to fight, I hope he does. But if he doesn't , I just don't want to see him get hurt."

LINK

Post #1   4/5/11 5:48:32PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlvoski has had a rough 2 1/2 years since beating Roy Nelson by TKO at EliteXC:Heat in October 2008. He's been KO'd by Fedor Emelianenko, Brett Rogers and Sergei Kharitonov and lost via decision to Antonio Silva.

With the growth of his losing streak, many fans have called for Arlovski's retirement, but now his long-time striking coach Mike Garcia has joined the chorus, via Pro MMA Now:

"I didn't mean it like he doesn't have the skills. There's just... I just don't want to see him get hurt. There's something not clicking, and you can see in his last couple fights he's not the same Andrei. He says he wants to fight, I hope he does. But if he doesn't , I just don't want to see him get hurt."

LINK

Well that makes everyone but Arlovski.

Post #2   4/5/11 5:56:22PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I can see where he's coming from with the confusion being a key factor in Arlovski's downward turn. In his last fight he looked sharp and was winning until his back hit the cage then everything went wrong and he ended up face down again.
I'm honestly a huge fan of Arlovski but Garcia is right, Unless Andrei sticks with one training camp and one POA he's going to get confused and KO'd. I don't really get why fighters switch camps in the middle of their training. It honestly can't be worth the problems it causes.

I say give him one more shot, with a camp spend in one place and see how he does!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   4/5/11 6:22:01PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I can see where he's coming from with the confusion being a key factor in Arlovski's downward turn. In his last fight he looked sharp and was winning until his back hit the cage then everything went wrong and he ended up face down again.
I'm honestly a huge fan of Arlovski but Garcia is right, Unless Andrei sticks with one training camp and one POA he's going to get confused and KO'd. I don't really get why fighters switch camps in the middle of their training. It honestly can't be worth the problems it causes.

I say give him one more shot, with a camp spend in one place and see how he does!

That's an intriguing statement that Arlovski was winning that fight until he got backed up. I will have to watch that one again. I remember Arlovski getting tagged multiple times in that fight, and being shocked none of them knocked him out. But that's about all I remember, besides AA falling to the mat....

Post #4   4/5/11 7:37:33PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

Posted by SmileR

That's an intriguing statement that Arlovski was winning that fight until he got backed up. I will have to watch that one again. I remember Arlovski getting tagged multiple times in that fight, and being shocked none of them knocked him out. But that's about all I remember, besides AA falling to the mat....

Take it with a pinch of salt though, man. I'm a huge Arlovski fan, but he did look sharp and his movement was good until his back hits the fence. I just want the guy to get a string of wins together and make a run at the title. It wasn't that long ago Arlovski was ranked in the top 5! I miss those days!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   4/5/11 8:01:56PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I remember those days! AA was beastly! Hell, even in the Fedor fight, he was picking Fedor apart until he rushed in for the flying knee/ jump punch/ whatever the hell he was going for.

I actually switched my pick to AA to beat Kharitonov, mostly cause of goddamn Bloody Elbow. I thought Jackson's camp would do him some good, but his jaw is essentially done. You can't train to get that back....

Having said that, I definitely like Arlovski. It's a similar situation to what Liddell was in. After that Wanderlei fight, every fight he had he looked at least competitive and perhaps like he was even winning (Liddell-Franklin), and then he would just take that one shot and get killed.

And you keep wanting to see those guys get back in there, get the W and make another title run. Or at least go out with a W. But there comes a time when you have to throw in the towel (LOOKING AT YOU, MATT LEE'S CORNER).

Post #6   4/5/11 10:17:52PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

The downward spiral started when he began training exclusively at Flo MMA. I've trained there and it's a great facility with horiible instruction. From what I've heard, Andrei recently purchased Flo; maybe he's spending more time running it than training. I know what you mean though, Arlovski used to be a tank.

Post #7   4/5/11 10:27:03PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Chips:

Posted by pmoney

And you keep wanting to see those guys get back in there, get the W and make another title run. Or at least go out with a W. But there comes a time when you have to throw in the towel (LOOKING AT YOU, MATT LEE'S CORNER).

Lol, yeah I finally saw the event. Great card top to bottom. Lee's face was mangled by the end of that fight. Saunders has a great thai clinch and size advantage. He could be really good in a few years.

Post #8   4/6/11 1:26:07AM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:611-404
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Andrei still has it in him to be a force in the HW division but his coach Garcia said it best something just isn't clicking with him. Plus getting KO'd continuously is bad for Andrerei's mental capacity throughout the rest of his life. He's gotta decide if he's willing to risk his health and reputation.

Post #9   4/6/11 6:17:36AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Smart move. He should retire, rather than get his face broken in everytime he goes out.

Post #10   4/6/11 8:57:39AM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
Arlovski is one of my favorite HW's of all time. I would like to see him make a comeback, but I dont know. All he needs is one good run. Maybe a run in Bellator?

If he went to Bellator, he would have to get used to getting paid a lot less. I think for the Fedor fight, he got paid 750,000 dollars, and he lost. But Affliction was ridiculous.

CRO COP AND ARLOVSKI FOR BELLATOR!

Post #11   4/6/11 10:26:52PM