Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chris Weidman in for Court McGee, meets Jesse Bongfeldt at UFC 131

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:3,026-1,730
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Undefeated middleweight prospect Chris Weidman (5-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has agreed to step in for an injured Court McGee (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) to face Jesse Bongfeldt (21-7-1 MMA, 0-0-1 UFC) at UFC 131.

LINK

Post #1   4/5/11 5:12:08PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
Absolutely no disrespect to my fellow Canadian, and great fighter Jesse Bongfeldt but this seems like a pretty big step down for Weidman. I'll go with Weidman by decision.

Last edited 4/5/11 5:36PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: fighter*

Post #2   4/5/11 5:15:48PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I wasn't a big fan of Weidman in his last fight. I think maybe they hyped us up too much for his showing. I am upset that Court is out of this fight. I agree tho, he will win UD.

Post #3   4/5/11 5:28:39PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
Although he took the fight on very short notice last time, he didn't really live up to the hype but beating Sakara is definitely a step in the right direction. I want to see what the kid can do with a full training camp.

Last edited 4/5/11 5:43PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: added comma

Post #4   4/5/11 5:43:05PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Even though the fight went to a draw
Jesse looked good. But weidman will take him out

Post #5   4/5/11 5:48:14PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,983-1,102
Chips:
I was really excited to see McGee fight.

Post #6   4/5/11 5:51:01PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I thought Weidman did exceptional in his UFC debut. He wasn't really hyped at all, that I remember.

He was brought in on very short notice, and it was said that he was a great wrestler, who trains with Matt Serra and the like, and that he was an up and coming prospect.

He got a tough opponent for his debut, and just happened to have a style suited to hang with Sakara. I felt it ended up being an entertaining and bloody fight.

Definitely bummed on Mcgee being out, that MCL tear is no joke

Post #7   4/5/11 8:53:24PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I thought Weidman did exceptional in his UFC debut. He wasn't really hyped at all, that I remember.

He was brought in on very short notice, and it was said that he was a great wrestler, who trains with Matt Serra and the like, and that he was an up and coming prospect.

He got a tough opponent for his debut, and just happened to have a style suited to hang with Sakara. I felt it ended up being an entertaining and bloody fight.

Definitely bummed on Mcgee being out, that MCL tear is no joke

Bloodyelbow had him as #2 on their MW prospects list, Rogan wouldn't stop talking about how good this kid is, He trains at Serra-Longo Fight Team and is considered their biggest prospect, he's a 2 time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler and the list goes on. Here's the perfect article to show how hyped this kid is/was.

LINK

It's an excellent read, as are all of Leland Rolling's prospect breakdowns. He's done a top 10 list for every division and I recommend to anyone that hasn't read them to read them. I learned a lot from them. And every article has numerous fight videos.

Post #8   4/5/11 9:39:38PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
I agree that Sakara was a very tough opponent for him, especially with just 4 professional fights under his belt but many people thought he was going to run through him. It ended up being a great fight though and I don't blame the kid at all. Coming in on such short notice and defeating a guy like Sakara in your 5th pro bout is absolutely no joke and I would be an idiot if I took anything away from his victory.

He just didn't live up to the extreme hype he was getting. He's still one of the most touted MW prospects out there and this fight should really prove to us if he's the real deal or not. The guy has all the tools to be something great, let's see what a full training camp (or close to it) will do for him.

Post #9   4/5/11 9:45:26PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,622-990
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I definitely agree that the kid is a strong prospect. And if I am not mistaken, he had said he was injured going in to the Sakara fight. He's got talent, and grapefruit sized balls, no doubt.

I don't like BE. Their scouting reports are good, but I have have made multiple picks based on other articles on the site and they have always steered me wrong.

Last time I listened to BE, I changed 3 picks on the M-1 card, I went 1-2 where I would've been 2-1. I swore that was the last time I would listen to any site to make my picks. Gotta get the news though, which I will occasionally go to BE for. But mostly I go to Junkie, Mania, Fighting and Weekly.

Post #10   4/5/11 10:05:27PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by pmoney

I definitely agree that the kid is a strong prospect. And if I am not mistaken, he had said he was injured going in to the Sakara fight. He's got talent, and grapefruit sized balls, no doubt.

I don't like BE. Their scouting reports are good, but I have have made multiple picks based on other articles on the site and they have always steered me wrong.

Last time I listened to BE, I changed 3 picks on the M-1 card, I went 1-2 where I would've been 2-1. I swore that was the last time I would listen to any site to make my picks. Gotta get the news though, which I will occasionally go to BE for. But mostly I go to Junkie, Mania, Fighting and Weekly.

Oh, I hate bloodyelbow. Only mma site I've ever been banned on, most of the posters are just assholes and a few of their writers, "cough snowden cough" are terrible. I refuse to read any opinionated articles but stuff like news reports and these scouting reports are done exceptionally well. They're one of the best sites to go to as far as news because they're usually one of the first to post information but other than that I agree about BE.

Post #11   4/5/11 10:09:19PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Get well soon Court....yup, going with Weidman by UD

Post #12   4/6/11 12:54:44AM