Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gilbert Melendez: "I Guarantee..."

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"(With UFC buying Strikeforce) now it seems like I might be fighting for a UFC title sooner than I thought. I'm in it to win it. I want to be the number one fighter in the world and I'm trying to prove that. So whoever has the strap is who I'd like to fight and I want to earn that. So I just want to keep on winning. I see that title possibly changing a couple times. Gray (Maynard) could be the champ in the next 2 months. After that Gray might lose to someone else like Clay Guida or Anthony Pettis. I see that title changing a lot. So whoever has the belt is basically who I want and whoever is going to prove I'm number one. And now I think it's going to happen."

LINK

Well Playground, do you believe him?

Last edited 4/2/11 2:54PM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #1   4/2/11 2:42:49PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I doubt Guida will hold the title in the UFC and I doubt Melendez would beat Guida again so I don't see him holding the title. I honestly don't see Melendez beating Maynard, Guida, Miller, or Edgar and I'd say he'd have a hell of a tough time beating the likes of Kenny, Sherk or BJ if he dropped back down.
He's been a big fish in a small pond for a while now and I think if the UFC and Strikeforce do end up unifying the belts Melendez will shown up.

Last edited 4/2/11 3:22PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   4/2/11 3:19:15PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I doubt Maynard or Melendez will beat Edgar.

Post #3   4/2/11 6:05:03PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,370-793
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Melendez is capable of winning on any given night but he's not going to consistently grind out the best of the UFC like he did in Strikeforce. Very tough guy and a very good fighter but it's not going to be that easy.

Post #4   4/2/11 7:20:40PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
I reckon they should do a Strikeforce lightweight champion v WEC lightweight champion matchup. Melendez v Pettis make it happen UFC.

Post #5   4/2/11 9:10:48PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i dont see it happeneing. hes good but not ufc champion quality.

Post #6   4/4/11 12:10:31AM   

mmaisthehit

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Only time will tell. But he has to fight UFC guys to come close to his goal.

Post #7   4/15/11 11:35:41AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I doubt Guida will hold the title in the UFC and I doubt Melendez would beat Guida again so I don't see him holding the title. I honestly don't see Melendez beating Maynard, Guida, Miller, or Edgar and I'd say he'd have a hell of a tough time beating the likes of Kenny, Sherk or BJ if he dropped back down.
He's been a big fish in a small pond for a while now and I think if the UFC and Strikeforce do end up unifying the belts Melendez will shown up.

Did you not see what El Nino did to Kawajiri? Im sick of this "if youre not in the UFC youre not a credible fighter" bs. Melendez has shown without a doubt he is top 3 and if you cannot accept that I cant say that you are unbiased or actually care about anything outside zuffa.

Post #8   4/17/11 3:35:13AM   

GraMMA

MMA Regular

GraMMA Avatar

Career:890-539
Chips:
Dana has said we may see UFC fighters going to SF but not the other way unless their contract with SF expires or when they fold SF.
If Edgar wins I think we might see Jim Miller go to SF to challenge Gil since Jim and Frankie are teammates.If Maynard and Guida win their next bouts then Guida would be the most likely to face Gil in a hyped rematch while Miller faces Maynard.
But I do feel Gil can hang and probably beat UFCs top lws.

Post #9   4/17/11 9:36:24AM   

CoachRDS

Learning to Sprawl

CoachRDS Avatar

Career:20-9
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I believe him. The performance against Aoki last year and the Kawajiri performance convinced me that Melendez is the real deal and he is in the elite of the 155 pound division. IMO he has a close fight with Edgar, but he beats Maynard, Guida, or anyone else in the world.

Post #10   4/23/11 6:12:52PM