Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How much would you spend on vet bills for your animal?

Print  
What's the max amount you would spend in vet bills?
Less than $100 4 9%
$100-$500 8 18%
$500-$1000 6 13%
Over $1000 3 7%
Any amount 21 47%
Nothing. Die kitty die!! 3 7%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,279-1,225
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
My 2 year old cat got her tail got slammed in the door today. She had a nice gash near the tip of it. I brought her to the emergency vet thinking maybe a few stitches and a couple hundred dollars later things would be dandy. Well, stupid me. They said if they can stitch it back, it would run around $500 including all the meds. If they have to amputate it, I'm looking at a cool $1000. Now, if my wife wasn't balling her eyes out, the kitty would probably be in animal heaven now.

So the question is, how much would you drop on a pet in vet bills?

I posted a pic of her just a few days ago in the pets thread. She's the white one.
Link

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #1   4/1/11 9:39:11PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I feel your pain, man! A few years back my Dad's dog took a chunk out of its leg after it was caught in garden gate, we took it the vets right away and they quoted £1100 which covered the meds, stitches, a stay in the vet over night and the preparation for the surgery.

It worked out at £1250 in the end because "the dog was bigger than he anticipated and needed more sedative that originally priced for"!

In the end it took 11stitches and a week of tablets to keep infection away! I think the vets pray on the fact that people will do anything for their pets and charge more because of it! Thats why I bought fish!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   4/1/11 10:00:30PM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
I would pay anything for my pets. In a way its cruel to put a price on a dependent animal, You pets have nobody else to look after them. So if you buy a pet and something bad goes wrong, You just gotta pay!

The only line I draw in the sand is that if the animal is better off being put down. When I was younger my dog was hit by a car, Crushed pelvis, back and legs. The vet was trying to talk us into an operation where my dog would of been in like a wheel chair, It wouldnt be able to walk and couldnt go to the toilet itself, Even if that was a free operation we would of still put it down..

Post #3   4/1/11 10:06:29PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I voted any amount. Because my parents have spent thousands of dollars on the pets. 4k for my brothers dog, a couple grand for one cat and then hundreds of more dollars on other visits and meds. So prolly over 10k I would said or around there.

I like dogs, but there is just too much responsibility. Makes me not want to have kids.

Post #4   4/1/11 10:26:00PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Chips:
I hear ya guys. I talk tough like I would put her down, but it would be a very hard decision. Especially since she is so young and it's just a tail. I'm more in shock that cutting half a tail off a cat costs over $1000. Still haven't heard back from the vet, so hopefully they were able to stitch it up and save me $500.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #5   4/1/11 10:40:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by MiniMan

I would pay anything for my pets. In a way its cruel to put a price on a dependent animal, You pets have nobody else to look after them. So if you buy a pet and something bad goes wrong, You just gotta pay!

The only line I draw in the sand is that if the animal is better off being put down. When I was younger my dog was hit by a car, Crushed pelvis, back and legs. The vet was trying to talk us into an operation where my dog would of been in like a wheel chair, It wouldnt be able to walk and couldnt go to the toilet itself, Even if that was a free operation we would of still put it down..

You're dog was able to go to the toilet itself prior to the accident?

Post #6   4/1/11 10:58:34PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I think personally it all depends on the quality of life after whatever procedure needs to be done. My cat I had to put down a couple of years ago had cancer, and the vet had discussed treatments for the cat that would have cost a ton of money. This just didn't make sense as the cat was in a ton of pain when not on meds and properly hydrated. It was sad, but at the end of the day, these animals are not humans. If it were my child laying on a gurney with cancer, I'd give my life to save theirs, but the feeling just isn't the same for an animal, no matter how much I care for it.

Post #7   4/1/11 11:01:57PM   

bichez

Learning to Sprawl

bichez Avatar

Career:610-416
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:
I have a 6 year old Boston terrier, when he was a little over a year old his back right leg started bothering him. I took him to the vet and they said it was some problem with his tendon not lining up with his knee cap and it would cost 700 $. Of course I pretty much told the vet to kiss off and I would get an other opinion. Well the next day he was jumping around (these little dogs never sit still) and his back leg locked completely up and he started whimpering in pain. Of course I took him immediately to the vet and paid for the operation. Well same thing started happening to his back left leg. Since I knew a bit more I found a vet who would do the operation for 400$ where my parents live, about 2 hour drive. Well moral of the story is this guy is 6 years old now, never had any problems with his leg. Probably one of the best trained dogs you have ever met. Not only will he push the door open to let himself in, can't latch it of course, but he will run and jump and close the door behind himself. I have a 2 y/o girl and they are best friends. I can't say I would do the same for a cat, hell I am partial, but for my little dude I can say that was money well spent.

Post #8   4/2/11 3:08:32AM   

SpicyMeatball

Learning to Sprawl

SpicyMeatball Avatar

Career:60-36
Chips:

I'm not sure, but I think some places offer animal insurance, meaning that you pay a monthly fee and then the insurance company pays a majority of the vet bills . It might be worth it after hearing about some of the crazy prices on here. A lot of people can't just drop a thousand on vet bills, but vet places don't care. They care more about money than saving animals.

Post #9   4/2/11 8:26:38AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by MiniMan

You're dog was able to go to the toilet itself prior to the accident?

My question if you or your wife (if you have one) or kid were confined to a bed and needed total care you would opt for being put down? Its crazy what people will pay to keep their animals alive. I know there is emotional attachment but there is no reason to spend thousands of dollars on an animal. But people pay it and just like anything the more you pay the more it will cost.

Post #10   4/2/11 6:33:59PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:531-352
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I would treat my animal the same as if i had kids (which i don't) but still you know you can't put a price on something like helping your pet recover from whatever.

Post #11   4/3/11 3:11:38AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Chips:
Luckily my cat just needed stitches. That saved me about $500. However, she needs to have a cone on her head for a week and a half so she doesn't rip out the stitches. It's kind of funny because her orientation is so off that she runs into walls constantly.

Post #12   4/3/11 9:33:51AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Your lucky man, my pit-mix got out and tried to tackle a pick up truck.....needless to say he only has 3 legs now.....$4000!

Post #13   4/3/11 2:45:38PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
in my opinion pets are just like family, they grow up with you and they grow old with you through thick and thin. if you wont pay for their health and well being then what was the point of getting a pet? its just part of the responsibility of having kids or pets, if their own family wont take care of them who will? the solution cant be to kill off other species of animals. you have to take care of them through thick and thin, theyre part of your family (or if you dont feel that way, your wife feels like he's family) i hope you do the right by your wife kopower

Last edited 4/4/11 3:43PM server time by cooler
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   4/4/11 3:38:34PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I'd spend any amount, absolutely anything... I'd sell vechicles, i'd work countless overtime hours to save a pet. It's only money, you make it again...

My golden retriever lost her life a few years ago due to cancer in her system, the vet continuously told us it was a virus, but it kept getting worse and worse to the point where we unfortunately had to put her down, and it was one of the hardest things i've ever had to do.

Post #15   4/5/11 3:19:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2