Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

I don't think the UFC could do a tournament anymore

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Career:7-4
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

Titles in PRIDE weren't as meaningful as they are in the UFC. PRIDE was always about the show and pizazz, so they could afford to put the title situation on hold to have the best fighters in a tournament. You can't do that in the UFC or else fighters and fans both get antsy. People want to see challenges, and thus, progress in the divisions. A Tournament would hold up any given title for at least a year, probably longer, especially if it's more than 4 competitors.

tournaments wouldnt necessarily take longer than a year. PRIDE was able to do 16-man tournaments in less than a year...in fact they started the '06 open weight tourny in May '06 and it was finished by Sep '06. so its possible to still do it in a short amount of time. they could also stretch it over a year to give fighters more time to heal if hurt and to build up the hype for the tourny.

and what greater challenge than to see, say what you'd call a #16 seed fighter, make it past the 1st round and all the way to the finals? a tourny IMO would present a greater challenge cuz you'd face all top opponents on your way to the championship.

Pride also didn't hesitate to have fighters fight more than once on the same night. The days of the UFC doing that are long gone now. With the current frequency of events, it would just be way too difficult to bring the top 16 fighters in any weight class together at once and put them on a 4-fight-per-year type schedule. Few few fighters in the UFC fight 4 times a year, especially at the top. Sure, the UFC could give it a whirl if they wanted to, but the risk far outweighs the reward...so I don't see it happening.

it would be possible to do an 8-man tournament. it would take 3 fights to win the tournament, which is about how many times fighters fight each year.

in regards to the risks....they run the same risks they do without a tournament format. everyone assumes when the word tournament is mentioned, it means fighting more than once on one night when thats an easy problem to fix. PRIDE only made fighters fight more than once on one night for the semi's and the final. the UFC would only have to schedule the final for a future date and problem solved.

I didn't assume the "tournament" meant fighting more than once in a night. I was responding to a statement that you made, which implied exactly that. If you think there isn't any additional risk in a tournament format versus scheduling fights one by one, your crazy.

what statement that i made implied it? and how is it that scheduling a tournament foumat increases an sort of injury risk?

Post #16   4/21/11 2:11:55AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2