Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

I don't think the UFC could do a tournament anymore

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SpicyMeatball

Learning to Sprawl

SpicyMeatball Avatar

Career:60-36
Chips:

I would love for the UFC to do some kind of a tournament, but it would be really tough for them. The only reason Strikeforce was able to do a Heavyweight tournament was because a lot of the heavyweights were inactive for a long period of time, mainly due to Strikeforce not actively scheduling fights. The UFC however, schedules fights months in advance. I'm not really sure the UFC is built for tournaments. They have the talent of course, but they might be too organized.

Take any division, and most of the guys either just came off of a fight, or already have a fight scheduled. In the Heavyweight Division, Cain is hurt, Brock is set to face JDS, Nog is injured, Frank Mir is set to fight Roy Nelson, Shane Carwin is booked, Struve is booked, Kongo is booked. In the light heavyweight division, Jones is set to fight Rashad, Rampage is set to fight Hamill, Ortiz is fighting Bader, Thiago might be suspended, Shogun is on medical suspension. Lyoto is fighting Randy.

I could easily do this for all seven divisions. My point is that the UFC is actively going, unlike the Strikeforce Heavyweight division. The UFC can't just put a standstill on a division, and I think that's what would have to happen in order for the UFC to do a tournament

What do you guys think? Am I the only one who thinks this? Am I insane? Maybe I'm missing something, who knows. What do you make of this?

Post #1   3/31/11 6:50:54PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Career:7-4
Chips:
i think its very possible to schedule a HW tournament. but they'd have to hold off on doing some fights. PRIDE was able to do it yearly so i dont see why the UFC wouldnt be able to do it. would probably take a lot of rescheduling but im sure its possible. on the other hand, i dont see it happening. the UFC is making too much money right now to postpone/reschedule any fights.

Post #2   3/31/11 6:55:00PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:494-331
Chips:
Yeah they should do a grand prix tourney for each division like Pride did back in the day.

Post #3   3/31/11 7:49:43PM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
Pride did it yearly, but they only did a single weight division per year...which makes sense. TUF is their tournament, and I don't see it ever changing, save for the very rare 4 man tournaments like when Brock and Randy fought and they declared ahead of time to merge the interim title after the Nog/ Mir fight. Thats probably the extent to which they would do a tourney...Though I personally would absolutely love it if they put together an 8 or 16 man tourney in a weight class per year...light and welterweights could definitely benefit from such a tournament as it would really make a true #1 contender and also drive some unknowns to the front of the class in an organized manner. I guess middleweight could also handle one too to bring some new contenders into the spotlight. It would be fun to see who would rise to the top.

Of course my train of thought here assumes the Champion is not a part of the tourney and probably not another top guy who would fight the champ while the tourney was taking place to determine the next challenger.

Post #4   3/31/11 8:06:11PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Titles in PRIDE weren't as meaningful as they are in the UFC. PRIDE was always about the show and pizazz, so they could afford to put the title situation on hold to have the best fighters in a tournament. You can't do that in the UFC or else fighters and fans both get antsy. People want to see challenges, and thus, progress in the divisions. A Tournament would hold up any given title for at least a year, probably longer, especially if it's more than 4 competitors.

Last edited 3/31/11 8:47PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   3/31/11 8:47:28PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Titles in PRIDE weren't as meaningful as they are in the UFC. PRIDE was always about the show and pizazz, so they could afford to put the title situation on hold to have the best fighters in a tournament. You can't do that in the UFC or else fighters and fans both get antsy. People want to see challenges, and thus, progress in the divisions. A Tournament would hold up any given title for at least a year, probably longer, especially if it's more than 4 competitors.

tournaments wouldnt necessarily take longer than a year. PRIDE was able to do 16-man tournaments in less than a year...in fact they started the '06 open weight tourny in May '06 and it was finished by Sep '06. so its possible to still do it in a short amount of time. they could also stretch it over a year to give fighters more time to heal if hurt and to build up the hype for the tourny.

and what greater challenge than to see, say what you'd call a #16 seed fighter, make it past the 1st round and all the way to the finals? a tourny IMO would present a greater challenge cuz you'd face all top opponents on your way to the championship.

Post #6   4/1/11 6:52:36AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm a huge fan of the tournement format and wish badly the UFC would impliment one into their gameplan. Their are some obvious setbacks (like injuries) but if each fighter has enough time to heal between each bout I think it may work.

Post #7   4/1/11 7:45:14AM   

Kevro

MMA Regular

Kevro Avatar

Career:658-497
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
the only tourny i see the UFC being able to do is maybe a MW tourny when silva wins another fight. hes dominated that weight class forever and nobody in the weight class would argue with a tourney for the belt when silva decides to go up, down, or retire.. thats just my opinion though.

Post #8   4/1/11 8:48:30AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

tournaments wouldnt necessarily take longer than a year. PRIDE was able to do 16-man tournaments in less than a year...in fact they started the '06 open weight tourny in May '06 and it was finished by Sep '06. so its possible to still do it in a short amount of time. they could also stretch it over a year to give fighters more time to heal if hurt and to build up the hype for the tourny.

and what greater challenge than to see, say what you'd call a #16 seed fighter, make it past the 1st round and all the way to the finals? a tourny IMO would present a greater challenge cuz you'd face all top opponents on your way to the championship.

Pride also didn't hesitate to have fighters fight more than once on the same night. The days of the UFC doing that are long gone now. With the current frequency of events, it would just be way too difficult to bring the top 16 fighters in any weight class together at once and put them on a 4-fight-per-year type schedule. Few few fighters in the UFC fight 4 times a year, especially at the top. Sure, the UFC could give it a whirl if they wanted to, but the risk far outweighs the reward...so I don't see it happening.

Post #9   4/1/11 10:33:17AM   

Scamrock

Learning to Sprawl

Scamrock Avatar

Career:17-11
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Pride also didn't hesitate to have fighters fight more than once on the same night. The days of the UFC doing that are long gone now. With the current frequency of events, it would just be way too difficult to bring the top 16 fighters in any weight class together at once and put them on a 4-fight-per-year type schedule. Few few fighters in the UFC fight 4 times a year, especially at the top. Sure, the UFC could give it a whirl if they wanted to, but the risk far outweighs the reward...so I don't see it happening.

I completely agree with this. I think the most we can ask for is a 4 man "tournament" to crown a champion where the title was vacated or where the title needs unified. Lesnar/Couture/Nog/Mir, Edgar/Maynard/Henderson/Pettis, etc.

Even if they decided to do an 8 man tourney, the fights wouldn't all be on the same night. They would be spread apart on different events. The fights would just be noted as tournament fights.

Post #10   4/1/11 3:45:51PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

No, because PRIDE had multiple fights in one fight, which is illegal under unified rules.

Post #11   4/1/11 5:12:19PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

No, because PRIDE had multiple fights in one fight, which is illegal under unified rules.

they only had more than one fight on one night once during tourny's...and that was at the very end. which has a simply solution of course, don't hold the semi-s and the final on the same night. i dont know why people assume that they have told them on the same night when they dont...

and a side question...where did SF hold their women's tourny? cuz they had their female fighters fight twice in one night?

Post #12   4/2/11 5:47:35AM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

it would be possible to do an 8-man tournament. it would take 3 fights to win the tournament, which is about how many times fighters fight each year.

in regards to the risks....they run the same risks they do without a tournament format. everyone assumes when the word tournament is mentioned, it means fighting more than once on one night when thats an easy problem to fix. PRIDE only made fighters fight more than once on one night for the semi's and the final. the UFC would only have to schedule the final for a future date and problem solved.

Post #13   4/2/11 5:52:46AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

they only had more than one fight on one night once during tourny's...and that was at the very end. which has a simply solution of course, don't hold the semi-s and the final on the same night. i dont know why people assume that they have told them on the same night when they dont...

and a side question...where did SF hold their women's tourny? cuz they had their female fighters fight twice in one night?

A while back their was an interview with Big John and I can't remember what he said exactly but it was to the degree that Zuffa could hold one night tournements at 2 fights a piece if they really wanted to in certain states but I really can't remember all the details. I'll try to find the interview.

Ok,this isn't the interview but an article about the SF tournements. Each state has different rules regarding one night tournements. In texas you can't but apparently in Phoenix and San Jose you can.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/11/strikeforce-will-hold-middleweight-tournament-after-all/

Last edited 4/2/11 10:32AM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #14   4/2/11 10:27:41AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by warglory

it would be possible to do an 8-man tournament. it would take 3 fights to win the tournament, which is about how many times fighters fight each year.

in regards to the risks....they run the same risks they do without a tournament format. everyone assumes when the word tournament is mentioned, it means fighting more than once on one night when thats an easy problem to fix. PRIDE only made fighters fight more than once on one night for the semi's and the final. the UFC would only have to schedule the final for a future date and problem solved.

I didn't assume the "tournament" meant fighting more than once in a night. I was responding to a statement that you made, which implied exactly that. If you think there isn't any additional risk in a tournament format versus scheduling fights one by one, your crazy.

Post #15   4/2/11 8:01:58PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2