Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Paul Daley Looking to Strikeforce Title for Leverage in UFC Negotiations

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,948-1,142
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
One of the fighters put in the most awkward position by the recent Zuffa acquisition of Strikeforce is clearly Paul Daley. The brash Brit had started a UFC career at UFC 103 with a tremendous stoppage of Martin Kampmann and followed that up with a KO of Dustin Hazelett. Fans were calling for Daley to get a shot at the welterweight title and a win over Josh Koscheck would have gotten him the shot. Unfortunately for Paul, Koscheck was able to take him down over and over for three rounds leading to Daley throwing a punch after the final bell at his trash talking foe. The act led to his immediate release from the UFC and claims by Dana White that Daley would never fight in the UFC again.

Since the release, Daley has gone 4-0 including crushing KO's in his last two bouts against Scott Smith and Yuya Shirai. Now set to face Strikeforce welterweight champ Nick Diaz at Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Daley, Daley realizes that he's in a position of power. From MMA Fighting:

But the truth be told, when I am the Strikeforce champion, I'll have even more bargaining power, and it will be even more of a kick to the teeth of the guys that don't like me in the organization. To negotiate before the fight would show a lack of confidence in myself, and I'm very confident I'm going to beat Nick Diaz. Once a champion, I have more power to negotiate.

It's a reasonable position to take but one that may not matter if the negotiations don't extend past White saying "we don't want you." For his part, Daley is still trying to figure out exactly why the UFC boss has such a problem with him:

If Dana gives me an honest opinion -- aside from hitting Koscheck after the bell -- as to why he genuinely dislikes me, then at least I'd get some explanation. But there's too many incidents in the history of the UFC that prove it's more personal. Many of the UFC fighters have done a lot worse things to bring the company into disrepute, and they're still there.

The UFC has retained or signed fighters involved in high speed drunken chases with police, fighters involved in huge post-fight brawls and fighters with long histories of in-ring poor behavior including attacking referees. So it isn't hard to see why Daley feels that this is somehow a personal issue.

The only way to know if Daley will ever get another shot in the UFC is for him to defeat Diaz on April 9 and remove any chance for White to dismiss his credentials. This is a truth Daley seems to be fully aware of and one that he appears to have plenty of confidence will become a reality.

Link

Post #1   3/31/11 4:18:03PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
ufc doesnt need paul daley
even if he does get the title

Post #2   3/31/11 5:59:39PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Just because other fighters have done terrible things and been retained, doesn't mean Daley should have been.

In my opinion, one's conduct both inside and outside the Octagon are critical. Daley got kicked out immediately because what he did was the height of unprofessional, a cheap shot after the bell. Which some say could even be a criminal act.

This was on a PPV, will all the fans watching. And all the analysts would be talking about it the next day. Action had to be taking swiftly.

I don't know why other fighters have been tolerated. Look at Quinton Jackson's "Rampage" after he lost to Forrest. I don't know if he was retained simply because he is a draw, or because those actions took place outside of the Octagon, potentially making it easier to sweep under the rug. But he probably should have been let go for that.

Post #3   3/31/11 6:18:23PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Career:7-4
Chips:
if i was daley, i wouldn't bother with dana for now. he should focus on beating diaz and if he does win, defend his belt successfully. everyone kinda knows that SF will probably merge with the UFC either way in a couple of years similar to WEC. and once that merge happens, im sure if daley is still champ, he'll be back in the UFC.

Post #4   3/31/11 6:32:21PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
this story shows just why Daley is in the position he is in. He just doesnt get it.

He didnt seem to care that he hit Kos after the fight and he still seems to think he didnt do anything wrong. Instead of being apologetic and doing the right things he has consistently had an F Dana attitude about it and he continues to say ignorant things.

He just needs to shut his mouth and be happy knowing he has a paycheck that will clear after the fight.

Post #5   3/31/11 6:35:51PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:575-373
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Paul is grasping at straws he won't beat Nick Diaz and even if he does the ufc doesn't want a fighter like him anyway.

Post #6   3/31/11 8:00:30PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
What Daley did was terrible and stupid, but Kos's actions throughout that fight were almost just as bad. I for one, think Daley is an entertaining fighter and an absolute juggernaut in the cage. I understand if they don't take him back, but I would really like to see him return.

Last edited 3/31/11 9:31PM server time by DeadHead988
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/31/11 9:30:56PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

What Daley did was terrible and stupid, but Kos's actions throughout that fight were almost just as bad.

I'd really like you to expand on that, if you don't mind.

Post #8   3/31/11 10:24:29PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,007-1,070
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Feel like what Paul did was obviously wrong and in no way should be condoned, he deserved to be kicked out of the UFC. That being said way to many fans go to hard on Daley, he is immature but I still think there has been worse. For example Diaz brothers (Who I am a fan of) JUMPED a fighter along with Melendez and no one seems to bad mouth Diaz after every story like with Semtex.

Post #9   3/31/11 10:40:48PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DeadHead988

What Daley did was terrible and stupid, but Kos's actions throughout that fight were almost just as bad.

Faking the illegal knees, whispering taunts in his ear (reportedly racial slurs but not confirmed), and generally being a prick. For me, faking the illegal knee was just low, I hold that in the same regarded as greasing your body or plastering your hand wraps.

Post #10   3/31/11 11:06:56PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DeadHead988

Faking the illegal knees, whispering taunts in his ear (reportedly racial slurs but not confirmed), and generally being a prick. For me, faking the illegal knee was just low, I hold that in the same regarded as greasing your body or plastering your hand wraps.

I don't believe it was ever established as fact that he faked the knee. There just wasn't the perfect camera angle to tell for certain. We know he at least grazed him, but beyond that it's hard to say. I've never heard anything about any racial slurs TBH, but I'm not sure what kind of slurs a black man would say to another black man though. I think there's a big difference between being a d*ck and assaulting somebody. If being a d*ck and taunting opponents with words was criminal, Nick Diaz would have already been sentenced to life without parole.

Post #11   3/31/11 11:16:20PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

ufc doesnt need paul daley
even if he does get the title

This

Post #12   3/31/11 11:31:00PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DeadHead988

I don't believe it was ever established as fact that he faked the knee. There just wasn't the perfect camera angle to tell for certain. We know he at least grazed him, but beyond that it's hard to say. I've never heard anything about any racial slurs TBH, but I'm not sure what kind of slurs a black man would say to another black man though. I think there's a big difference between being a d*ck and assaulting somebody. If being a d*ck and taunting opponents with words was criminal, Nick Diaz would have already been sentenced to life without parole.

Again, I don't mean to justify Daley's actions: they were terrible. But Kos's knee bs was clear as daylights on the replays and Joe Rogan even pointed out on the live broadcast that he was holding the wrong eye when acting like he was hurt lol. Also, it is actually an established rule in the unified mma rules that fighters cannot use abusive language in the octagon. As for the alleged racial slurs, Kos is of mixed race and both being black didn't stop Anthony Johnson from referring to John Howard as a "cotton picker". I'm not trying to get into an argument or anything, I'm just trying to explain why I would like to see Daley fight again.

Post #13   3/31/11 11:31:35PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

Paul is grasping at straws he won't beat Nick Diaz and even if he does the ufc doesn't want a fighter like him anyway.

This guy! Did you just create an account to say everything I wanted to hear? If so you are doing a great job

Post #14   4/1/11 12:03:59AM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by DeadHead988

Racial slurs??? Ur well aware Koscheck is mulatto right??

Post #15   4/1/11 12:38:40AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2