Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Should He Stay Or Should He Go Now? Does Dan Hardy Deserve Another Shot in the UFC?

Print  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,902-1,122
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy at UFC Fight Night 24 on Saturday night lost his third consecutive fight, to super-sized welterweight contender Anthony “Rumble” Johnson. At this level of competition consistency is key and back to back losses is a quick way to set your career back to the minor leagues. MMA, however, is an individual sport. Every fighter is different and needs to be treated differently.

It took four straight losses before Keith Jardine got the boot. While Todd Duffee, a promising up-and-comer, who holds the record for the fastest knockout in the UFC (7 seconds), was handed his walking papers after his first loss in a fight that he was winning until he got caught with his hands down. Duffee’s release was later attributed to more of an attitude issue than a performance problem, but the loss was all the excuse needed to send him packing.

Dan Hardy is not Keith Jardine nor is he Todd Duffee. Hardy’s case should and will be handled differently than anyone else. His situation is as unique as his mohawk is red. To determine “The Outlaw’s” future with the UFC, we have to evaluate what he’s selling and if he can still close the deal.

Hardy’s product is brash, fun and entertaining. He burst into the MMA mainstream and quickly became a love him or hate him character. In the past, his ability to start and sell a fight has been nothing short of impressive.

He fast tracked himself to the Top 10 by starting a fight with then contender Marcus Davis. He sealed his number one contender status with a good performance against Mike Swick. At the pre-fight press conference of the Swick fight, Hardy gave Swick a Runners Up trophy. It was one of the funniest moves in pre-fight banter in the history of the sport. There was no doubt about Hardy’s ability to entertain. In the past, Hardy walked the talk, backing up his words with his in-Octagon actions.

Hardy has not been the same “Outlaw” since his loss to UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, the fight that started his recent skid. Hardy was the first Englishman to get a title shot in the UFC. Going into that bout, he was certainly himself. He had plenty to say about what he was going to do to GSP. He was also very much himself when he was unable to compete with GSP when it became a grappling match. While a very competent striker, Hardy has never been known for wrestling or jiu-jitsu. The GSP fight was one that most never really expected him to win. The loss is respectable considering that GSP is in the top two on most pound-for-pound lists. Despite the loss, Hardy showed a lot of heart and resiliency against the future hall of famer and I don’t think anyone weighs the loss too heavily against him.

Hardy’s next fight was against Carlos Condit. Condit had a couple tough wins in less-than-dominant performances as well as a close decision loss in his first few UFC fights. Coming in, Hardy was the favorite, being a man who just had a title shot. Hardy seemed especially motivated for this fight because Condit asked for him specifically. That seemed to bother Hardy and really fire him up. While respect was given from both sides, Hardy, as usual, had plenty to say about his opponent. Despite his talk, this time he was unable to back it up and found himself on the wrong end of the Knockout of the Night.

Anthony Johnson putting the beatdown on Dan HardyIn his most recent outing against Anthony Johnson, there was very little talk. The usual amount of respect was given and a little fun was poked at Johnson’s weight issues, but other than that, Hardy was not very outspoken. Hardy lost this fight from bell to bell. After a feeling out process in the beginning of the first round, Johnson threw a high kick that Hardy blocked most of with his arm, but was knocked to the canvas regardless. The rest of the fight was spent with Hardy fighting off of his back, mostly playing defense and trying to get to his feet. It was not the stand-up war that everyone expected and it certainly was not a Fight of the Night candidate. Hardy failed to deliver on all of the things that fans have come to expect of him. He did not hype the fight with his usual trash talk, and, keeping in mind that it takes two people to make a fight, Hardy failed to deliver an exciting bout.

In his last few fights, Hardy hasn’t been the guy that made him popular. Can Dan still close the deal? Can he still get the fans to buy his product? Maybe you can attribute this recent lack of success to bad match-ups.

The fact is GSP has made a career out of being a bad match-up for anyone. Johnson was not a great match-up for Hardy either. Johnson is a much bigger guy who neutralized Hardy’s strength in striking with his own. He is also a much more skilled wrestler, which is what won him the fight. What about Condit? Hardy has always been known for his striking. He and Condit threw the same punch at the same time and Condit’s was faster and cleaner. Maybe Hardy’s frustration with Condit caused him to be reckless and he paid for it.

Despite his recent troubles, Hardy has done a very good job of selling fights and, typically, performing. Just barely one year ago, Hardy fought for the welterweight championship.

But, we’re not here to make excuses.

Can he get back to what made him such a huge success in the first place?

After three straight losses in the UFC, does Hardy deserve one last chance?

Link

Post #1   3/31/11 4:04:28PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
He deserves more of a chance than Ortiz or Vera or both of them combined.

Post #2   3/31/11 4:08:09PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

He deserves more of a chance than Ortiz or Vera or both of them combined.

For sure.....win or lose, he's very entertaining....styles make fights, and I would like to see him matched up against a striker in his next fight.

Post #3   3/31/11 4:45:24PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'd like to see him come back. I will doubt his performance, though. He won't have much chance against someone looking to wrestle, and we're still not sure if his chin will hold up after the Condit fight. His next match will decide his fate in the UFC.

Post #4   3/31/11 4:55:33PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Career:7-4
Chips:
he deserves at least one more fight...he called out lytle and if joe silva makes that match happen, it would be an awesome slugfest. plus i dont see dana cutting him just yet for some of the reasons the OP mentioned, primarily him being entertaining and he's something of a draw in the UK...

i say match him up against Lytle and have them fight in the UK...if he loses against Lytle, then its time to go to SF.

Post #5   3/31/11 6:40:08PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Simiroll

he deserves at least one more fight...he called out lytle and if joe silva makes that match happen, it would be an awesome slugfest. plus i dont see dana cutting him just yet for some of the reasons the OP mentioned, primarily him being entertaining and he's something of a draw in the UK...

i say match him up against Lytle and have them fight in the UK...if he loses against Lytle, then its time to go to SF.

Or.... lytle will take him down and sub him in about a minute. Its really up to Lytle. Does he want to be stand-and-bang-exciting-fights-Chris or wins-however-he-can-title-shot-Chris.

Anyway, I like how this is just a big article about making excuses for Dan Hardy. If you think he's entertaining and skilled so should stick around, I respect your opinion. What I don't respect is a laundry list of reasons why his 3-loss streak 'doesn't really count.'

Post #6   3/31/11 8:13:34PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
If there was more consistancy in how the UFC releases fighters then "Yes" Hardy should be gone for the simple fact of losing 3 straight; However, the UFC is all over the place with how they release fighters. The majority of fighters released because of consecutive losses though is 2, imo the UFC already gave Hardy an extra shot and he couldnt capatalize on it and with the loss to Johnson, Hardy should be given his walking papers. Here lies the problem though, with the purchase of strikeforce it would seem pointless to release Hardy from one of their orgs to just sign him to their other org (which i believe they will dismantle SF the first chance they get) and if they plan on closing SF in the near future it wouldn't make much sense to sign new contracts. I believe Hardy is good enough NOT to be sent to an org like belletar or KOC, but in the UFC i find it tough for Hardy to string any wins together with his current take down defence, everyone will use the same gameplan against him and could we really blame them? I like Hardys tanacidy when it comes to the stand up war, but being a business and fighters looking to advance their careers and put food on the table i don't see many fighters beyond Lytle and maybe Alves trading with Hardy.

Post #7   3/31/11 9:10:22PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Simiroll

Or.... lytle will take him down and sub him in about a minute. Its really up to Lytle. Does he want to be stand-and-bang-exciting-fights-Chris or wins-however-he-can-title-shot-Chris.

Anyway, I like how this is just a big article about making excuses for Dan Hardy. If you think he's entertaining and skilled so should stick around, I respect your opinion. What I don't respect is a laundry list of reasons why his 3-loss streak 'doesn't really count.'

While I'm a huge outlaw fan, I have to agree with you for the most part about this article. Also the "stand and bang lytle" and the "title shot lytle" are the same thing.

Post #8   3/31/11 9:46:39PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
He should stay. but he should basically be what marcus davis was. a main card guy in europe who takes on new comers, or a new comer in his second or 3rd fight. he is not a top 10 guy and I don't think he ever was. he beat gono, where is he now? he beat rory markham? who is that? he took marcus davis in a close decision (which i thought he lost, remember davis knocked him down at the beginning of the 3rd) and he had a GOOD, not great performance against swick. bottom line he isn't a contender and he's not a top 10 guy so don't put him in against a top 10 guy, don't make him a main event guy, and don't put him on main cards in the u.s.

hardy has a dilemma, the thing that is keeping him in the ufc is that he is a huge draw in the uk, the only way he will get better is if he starts training in the u.s. with better wrestlers n bjj guys, but if he does that i think he loses some (not all) of his popularity in the uk

Post #9   4/1/11 2:59:29PM