Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jon Fitch Out of UFC 132 Rematch With BJ Penn

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Fitch is afraid...

Did you see the first fight?

Post #16   3/30/11 11:58:28PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Ebersole vs Penn

.....make it happen

Perfect- I like this way more than any of the other suggestions. I would props you, but I have to spread my love all over the faces of some other users first.

Post #17   3/31/11 12:10:30AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I really had lil interest in this rematch

I say serra or condit.
Or take penn of the card

Post #18   3/31/11 12:24:34AM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by chickmagnet

Fitch is afraid...

Yeah, what fight were uuuuuu watching? Penn took him down in rounds one and two and almost subbed him. Then fitched layed on Penn throwing punches my sister could take.

I believe ur thinking fof the Rivera/Bisping fight..get ur names right.

Post #19   3/31/11 1:05:47AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Did u see BJs face when it was over and his speech he thought he lost...Could your sister really take those punches? Lets get her in MMA...The rematch I see way different and I think Fitch prolly was embarrassed and would own the second fight...

Post #20   3/31/11 1:44:52AM   

Scamrock

Learning to Sprawl

Scamrock Avatar

Career:17-11
Chips:
I looked at every fighter in the WW division under UFC contract. I narrowed it down to fighters in the top 15 (according to FightMatrix). I took out anyone currently in a scheduled fight. I took out anyone coming off a loss except 2 fighters who I think still make some sense.

Under the assumption that they would like to keep BJ on the card for July 2, that gives all relevant fighters 13 weeks before the fight. I didn't look up any injuriy updates so some of these fighters may not be cleared to be able to take this fight. If anyone has more information on them, feel free to comment.

Fighter Name - UFC Specific FightMatrix Rank - Streak - Additional notes

Josh Koscheck - #5 - 1L - Though he is coming off a loss, he is still at the top of the division. If he were to win, he probably wouldn't get another title shot from it (unless Shileds beats GSP). But if GSP moves to WW, Koscheck/Penn would make a good title fight. Not sure how his injury recovery is coming along. Any update would be appreciated.

Carlos Condit - #6 - 3W - Deserves a shot at the title about as much as anyone. Anyone know if he is fully recovered from his injury?

Diego Sanchez - #7 - 2W - I know he was on indefinite medical suspension. Anybody have any updates on his condition or when he expects to be back?

Mike Pyle - #8 - 3W - At first glance, it seems like a stretch, but if injuries from other top fighters prevented them from taking the fight, there could be a chance Pyle could get the fight.

Martin Kampmann - #9 - 2L - Even though he is coming off 2 losses, they were both contested by many, and he is still a top 10 fighter in the division. Anybody have any updates on his hand?

Dong Hyun Kim - #12 - 3W - Needs to move up, but Penn would be quite a jump in competition. But like with Matt Hamill at LHW, if the conditions are right, it could happen.

Jake Ellenberger - #13 - 3W - Was originally going to face Fitch before they gave the fight to BJ. So the idea of him getting to fight BJ isn't that far fetched. But he might be out until August with 2 injured hands. So if he did get to fight Penn, it would probably be later on down the line.

Brian Ebersole - #14 - 8W (1W in UFC) - Somebody already mentioned him. Sounds like a long shot. But if it were Lytle who won that fight, I'm sure there would be plenty of people okay with a Penn/Lytle fight. So if they did give it to Ebersole, I'd be fine with it.

Anthony Johnson - #15 - 1W - Normally, i would be against giving a #15 a fight against a #4, but other than an undeserved title shot, I'd be okay with AJ fighting anyone. I think he has the potential to be a threat to anyone, especially if he takes the fight and the training seriously. Besides, AJ getting to fight Penn wouldn't be any more out of place than Jon Olav Einemo fighting Shane Carwin.

Any thoughts, notes, feedback, etc, or any updates on the fighters with injuries?

Post #21   3/31/11 2:08:20AM   

Scamrock

Learning to Sprawl

Scamrock Avatar

Career:17-11
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Then fitched layed on Penn throwing punches my sister could take.

I didn't know Cris Cyborg was your sister.

Post #22   3/31/11 2:13:36AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,140-679
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by lohmann

Posted by chickmagnet

Fitch is afraid...

Yeah, what fight were uuuuuu watching? Penn took him down in rounds one and two and almost subbed him. Then fitched layed on Penn throwing punches my sister could take.

I believe ur thinking fof the Rivera/Bisping fight..get ur names right.

We musta watched different Fitch Vs Penn fights as far as i saw BJ Penn during the decision looked like he had gone through hell and back, it looked like he had been beaten the hell outta him, whereas fitch simply looked dissappointed. It's weird you say he's afraid, that's the last emotion I saw on him.

Posted by Bloodhound

blessing in disguise, the 1st fight between these two were so boring. Maybe somebody exciting like Condit can replace Fitch.

1st fight boring??? Did you actually watch the first fight? Or did you just record it thinking it was a Fitch fight and watch it in fast forward, The first openning seconds BJ tried taking Fitch down and he was successfull.... Did you guess that, BJ took Fitch's back and tried to finish him, but Fitch survived and when a tired and worn out BJ came out in the third he dominated with over 90 strikes in 5 minutes.... Don't stereotype a Fitch fight as boring, go watch Lentz Vs Winner before you call fights boring

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #23   3/31/11 3:19:43AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
I don't want to wait to see BJ fight and Condit is a game opponent. Lets see them go at it!

Post #24   3/31/11 3:20:11AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Fitch is afraid...

Please.

Last edited 3/31/11 10:44AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #25   3/31/11 9:06:45AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Penn had the element of surprise with his takedowns in the first match. Sure, they were effective, but there wasn't a point in the fight I thought, "oh ****, Fitch is in trouble now." I don't see BJ bringing anything in the second match that Fitch would not have planned for or had an answer for. He would've worked on his takedown defense more, which combined with his size and cardio would've been enough for clear positional dominance throughout the match. And as for striking, I think Fitch is too tough and too smart to get punched in the face over and over in a rematch.

Also, Penn's like Silva - great chins and resilient skin. They rarely get marked up from strikes. Fitch ran Penn through the grinder in round 3. I thought the decision was questionable based on the 10 point must system but no more so than the concept of the fight itself. The worst part about it was that it justified a rematch.

If Penn had won, we still know he'd get dominated by GSP. MAYBE we see some interesting fights against some of the smaller welterweights, but we know he's not getting the belt while GSP's around. And a win for Fitch would not have proven anything we didn't know about him before.

I like the Kampmann fight for BJ. Whoever threw that out knows what he's talking about. Beyond that? BJ had nothing for Fitch in the rematch. I love both of these guys as fighters, but this injury may have been the best thing for everyone in the long run.

Last edited 3/31/11 9:26AM server time by isk
2 total post edits

Post #26   3/31/11 9:24:14AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
I would like to see Condit vs. Penn
or
Sanchez vs. Penn
or
Penn should just be taken off the card till a different fight is available.
I hate to say it but I'm glad this fight is off. I'm not a big Fitch fan, I kind of thought the first fight was a bore. Hopefully this opens the door for someone who can finish a fight (Condit, Sanchez)

Post #27   3/31/11 9:41:21AM   

underclasshero4

Learning to Sprawl

Career:51-36
Chips:

Posted by TS92turbo

Posted by quezocrema0032

Condit or Koscheck lead the way as replacements. Unless the UFC throws a curveball and Set up Penn vs Jim Miller at 155.

First time I wont be cheering for BJ if they bring in Miller. BJ vs Kos would be ok, but I think he is still under medical suspension and needs clearance. At the time of 127 he still had nerve damage from the orbital break.

But a BJ vs Miller at 155? WAR MILLER!~!

I believe Kos is out until mid summer. Plus he needs training time after the recovery. Milller would be an amazing fight though!

Post #28   3/31/11 10:42:54AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I like the idea of BJ going back to lightweight, Styles make fights and if Edgar loses, Bj could possibly be champ again, if not, there are lots of lw's that are bj's size who woud make some great fights.

Last edited 3/31/11 2:38PM server time by icantthinkofanything

Post #29   3/31/11 11:51:58AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:

Posted by TS92turbo

Posted by quezocrema0032

Condit or Koscheck lead the way as replacements. Unless the UFC throws a curveball and Set up Penn vs Jim Miller at 155.

First time I wont be cheering for BJ if they bring in Miller. BJ vs Kos would be ok, but I think he is still under medical suspension and needs clearance. At the time of 127 he still had nerve damage from the orbital break.

But a BJ vs Miller at 155? WAR MILLER!~!

I like this idea, if BJ can make 155 still
Jim Miller vs BJ = a war

Last edited 3/31/11 2:34PM server time by icantthinkofanything
6 total post edits

Post #30   3/31/11 12:11:26PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3