Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Thiago Silva admits use of "urine adulterant"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC light heavyweight contender Thiago Silva (15-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) was wrong, and he admits it.

In an era in which professional athletes have gone so far as to lie under oath in regard to their use of performance-enhancing substances, Silva is taking the exact opposite approach.

In a statement delivered to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Silva admits he cheated for his UFC 125 matchup with Brandon Vera, and he'll accept whatever punishment the Nevada State Athletic Commission recommends. After that, the Brazilian said he'll come back a changed man.

"We make decisions every day of our lives," Silva stated. "Some are good, and some are bad. When you make a bad decision, you can either make the situation worse by trying to cover it up or lie about it, or just stick your head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge it even happened. Or you can own up to it with an honest explanation, accept the consequences of your actions, apologize to the people affected by it, learn from it and move on. I'm choosing the second option.

"I used a urine adulterant when giving a sample following my fight with Brandon Vera. I did so in an attempt to alter the results of the test and knowingly broke the rules of the Nevada (State) Athletic Commission. This was a terrible decision on my part for which I will be punished. I am prepared to accept this punishment, learn from it and move on. I apologize to the commission, the UFC, Brandon Vera and the MMA fans."

link to full article

Post #1   3/30/11 12:11:21PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
Bout time he came forward. I think it's garbage when people cheat the sport. He should have an extreme punishment and he should have to start at the bottom of the totem pole when he comes back.

Post #2   3/30/11 12:28:32PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I kinda feel bad for the guy but at the same time he defiantly deserves to be punished.
After a year off I could see why he was reluctant to pull out of the fight, especially when you factor in financial issues, but he still cheated and deserves punishment.
Imagine if he'd have seriously injured Vera like Bones did. (I'm not saying Bones is juicing before people jump on this)

But imagine if Silva had shattered Vera's eye and then tested positive, he could have lost everything! He'd have been banned from the UFC, Vera could have rinsed him in the courts and he's still have had to face a ban from the athletic commission.

I've got a feeling this statement and the fact that he tried to lie to the commission will only make his ban longer.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #3   3/30/11 12:35:00PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
interesting, average people typically think "if I just admit my wrong doing, I'll have a lesser sentence/punishment". In this case though, you could be correct. These bans tend to be based on testing results that can have false positives and etc. To openly admit wrong doing (cheating) may in fact allow that he be penelized with the maximum ban time. hmm

Post #4   3/30/11 12:42:17PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

interesting, average people typically think "if I just admit my wrong doing, I'll have a lesser sentence/punishment". In this case though, you could be correct. These bans tend to be based on testing results that can have false positives and etc. To openly admit wrong doing (cheating) may in fact allow that he be penelized with the maximum ban time. hmm

I think he is attempting to garner empathy. Everyone that cheats has a purpose in mind when they do it. It's much more forgiving when you do it to put food on your family's table. I'm sure this won't plague my feelings until the end of time, but if you want empathy, come clean as soon as your busted. Don't claim you did nothing wrong and then tell a story after all of the evidence is laid out for everyone to see. If you come clean before you know exactly what was found, then and only then can I attempt to believe that you want to be honest.

Post #5   3/30/11 12:48:54PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,058-1,153
Chips:
I mean good for him for not even attempting to pull off a roger clemens... but doesnt change the fact that he did cheat. I do appreciate him coming clean right off the bat, takes some balls, he's still a cheater to my eyes. If he comes back a changed man (after whatever suspension he gets) is yet to be seen, we've heard em' all before so it'll be time to put up or shut up whenever the time comes. Good luck with your upcoming downtime mr. silva

Post #6   3/30/11 12:51:55PM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
So because he was caught, He is sorry.... He wasn't too sorry when he was bashing Vera....

Post #7   3/30/11 12:53:48PM   

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:1,056-647
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Without a doubt he deserves to be punished and there is no justification for his actions but with that being said i wouldn't want to be in the situation he was leading up to that fight.
As SmileR has already said finances are a big issue, if your not fighting your not paid. What i will find interesting about this is how the NSAC and the UFC handle this.
Will he be punished to the maximum for admitting his mistake or will he gain compassion?
Will the UFC release him or will they keep hold of him for being a draw and not wanting to seem hypocritical?
I don't think they will release him because he's still a draw and a good fighter plus they still have a few fighters on the books who have tested positive before.

Post #8   3/30/11 12:54:11PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by MiniMan

So because he was caught, He is sorry.... He wasn't too sorry when he was bashing Vera....

Damn right. If he wouldn't have gotten caught he wouldn't be sorry. But because he got busted, he feels so bad. What a jag!

Post #9   3/30/11 12:57:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
I still don't know why people try to to do it
They know there gonna be tested

Post #10   3/30/11 1:01:13PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
This isn't good for ATT, as this is the third top guy in their team to test positive for something. Hermes Franca and Thiago Alves have been popped before as well. Franca admitted guilt with the same exact story as Silva and received the maximum sentence. Thiago Alves denied everything and was busted for a masking agent.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   3/30/11 1:16:08PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
He's not comming clean right off the bat, if he'd admitted it a month ago instead of waiting till now when all the facts are on the table I'd be inclined to believe him. But this is a case of him realizing that there is just too much evidence against him. He's not sorry he cheated, he's sorry he got caught.

Post #12   3/30/11 1:18:00PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Its never a good idea to "come clean".

The easier you make it for the Athletic Commissions, the harder they can and will punish you. Simply denying it over and over again, you get your suspension reduced in half and your fine gets lessened.

Post #13   3/30/11 1:35:24PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well we won't be seeing him for a while...

Post #14   3/30/11 3:38:16PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Chips:
The other problem with 'coming clean' is that now everyone knows he cheated. The athletic commission can take it easy on someone when the public believes that there is some doubt in their case (see Sean Sherk). If the person is a known cheater, they need to use them as an example to other fighters.

They can't send the message that "steroids are illegal. But if you tell us you're using them all you'll get is a slap on the wrist." That would just encourage more cheating.

On a more cynical note: How does everyone feel about the fact that we're all condemning a man for confessing and telling the truth?

Post #15   3/30/11 8:17:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2