Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cruz vs. Faber 2 Booked for UFC 132 in July

Print  
Posted By Message

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,955-1,146
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
The UFC announced on Saturday that the bantamweight title fight between Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber will go down at UFC 132, July 2nd at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Since taping for TUF 14 is expected to take place sometime this summer, it seems unlikely that Cruz and Faber will be tapped as coaches for The Ultimate Fighter‘s first bantamweight/featherweight season.

The two former WEC stars have shared some bad blood since the lead-up to their first fight at WEC 26 in March 2007. Upset that he wasn’t featured on the event poster, Cruz signed his name over Faber’s face — which the California Kid perceived as a sign of disrespect. Faber went on to score a guillotine choke victory in just 98 seconds, retaining his featherweight title.

Cruz dropped to 135 pounds the following year and has since racked up a 7-0 record in that division, winning the bantamweight belt from Brian Bowles and defending it twice against Joseph Benavidez and Scott Jorgensen. Faber made the drop to bantamweight last year after an ugly loss to current 145-pound champ Jose Aldo, and his since scored dominant victories over Takeya Mizugaki and Eddie Wineland.

The current lineup of UFC 132 is…

Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber (for bantamweight title)

B.J. Penn vs. Jon Fitch (WW)

Melvin Guillard vs. Shane Roller (LW)

George Sotiropoulos vs. Evan Dunham (LW)

Dennis Siver vs. Matt Wiman (LW)

Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader (LHW)

Link

Post #1   3/28/11 2:17:59PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,865-1,032
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

The UFC announced on Saturday that the bantamweight title fight between Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber will go down at UFC 132, July 2nd at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. Since taping for TUF 14 is expected to take place sometime this summer, it seems unlikely that Cruz and Faber will be tapped as coaches for The Ultimate Fighter‘s first bantamweight/featherweight season.

The two former WEC stars have shared some bad blood since the lead-up to their first fight at WEC 26 in March 2007. Upset that he wasn’t featured on the event poster, Cruz signed his name over Faber’s face — which the California Kid perceived as a sign of disrespect. Faber went on to score a guillotine choke victory in just 98 seconds, retaining his featherweight title.

Cruz dropped to 135 pounds the following year and has since racked up a 7-0 record in that division, winning the bantamweight belt from Brian Bowles and defending it twice against Joseph Benavidez and Scott Jorgensen. Faber made the drop to bantamweight last year after an ugly loss to current 145-pound champ Jose Aldo, and his since scored dominant victories over Takeya Mizugaki and Eddie Wineland.

Link

For some reason I'm not too excited for Cruz/Faber 2, especially after watching Faber struggle with Wineland. Maybe that will change closer to fight time. I can't wait for the rest of the card, though!

Post #2   3/28/11 3:08:53PM   

jimmyinfamous

Learning to Sprawl

jimmyinfamous Avatar

Career:238-175
Camp: Ruke Dufous Pillagers
Chips:
That looks like a pretty good card thus far, minus seeing Tito on there... I'm kinda disappointed that Dennis Siver doesn't get a higher-ranked opponent after almost knocking out Soto several times. Maybe he just wants to fight sooner rather than later...

Same with Melvin...he should be one fight away from a title shot and they're giving him a guy that almost got KO'd in the first round against Tavares. Melvin will finish where Tavares left off though...

As far as Cruz vs. Faber, I would certainly take Cruz. Faber is a tough dude, but Cruz has improved greatly. His human-pinball-like style will make it tough for Faber to land. Faber has a better chance at taking it to the ground than Scottie Jorgenson, but I'd still see Cruz winning by unanimous decision.

Last edited 3/28/11 3:13PM server time by jimmyinfamous
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   3/28/11 3:10:07PM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:

Posted by Rabi

Pretty decent card. I would agree and say not too excited to see Tito on there, other than the fact that this fight will earn him his pink slip.
I say:
BJ wins this time split dec
Guillard wins 1st rd KO of the night
Storiopoulos will bounce back for 3rd sub of the night
Siver wins TKO and moves up the ladder more
Bader grinds out Tito for GNP TKO rd 2

Post #4   3/28/11 3:22:00PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,860-1,161
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i enjoy cruz fight dude has made people look foolish as of late I'm a fan and faber is in for it.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #5   3/28/11 3:44:46PM   

SpicyMeatball

Learning to Sprawl

SpicyMeatball Avatar

Career:60-36
Chips:

Same here Spider. I think Cruz has the ability to become the GSP or Anderson Silva of the bantamweight division, meaning he could hold on to the belt for quite a while.

Post #6   3/28/11 4:14:15PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Rabi

Link

For some reason I'm not too excited for Cruz/Faber 2, especially after watching Faber struggle with Wineland. Maybe that will change closer to fight time. I can't wait for the rest of the card, though!

He struggled with Wineland? The second two rounds were shut outs in my opinion.

Post #7   3/28/11 7:15:15PM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
WAR FABER!

Time to get the straps back!

Post #8   3/28/11 8:15:00PM