Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Mike Winkeljohn Says He Will Coach Jon Jones

Print  
Posted By Message

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
The saga surrounding Rashad Evans’ exit from Team Jackson following Jon Jones’ victory at UFC 128 continues to unfold. Like an onion, there are many layers to this story.

Link

Post #1   3/24/11 9:50:56AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Jackson's Team coaches lied to Rashad.

Jackson picked Jon Jones.

I feel bad for Rashad.

Eventhough Jones is so versatile,

i feel like his size, reach and body type is the key to his success.
I think his reach helps his wrestling, striking and submissions. its not like hes a black belt.
his skinny legs help him make weight prolly
because his upper body is huge as he explained on Leno last night...

As the sport grows and the ammount and quality of these great MMA fighters and Atheletes surge

day of weigh ins may help keep weight classes more fair. in every division people are cutting 20 pounds or more, and it's not fair or healthy.

Last edited 3/25/11 2:26PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   3/24/11 12:27:28PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I think Jackson's Team coaches lied to Rashad. Jones didnt do anything wrong by pretending he would never fight Rashad,

it was Jackson, who knew 1 man would get the titlte, and Jackson picked Jon Jones.

I wonder if that is why GSP lost trust for those around him after losing to Serra?

and as a result went to Tri-Star, but kept a business relationship with Greg and team.

I feel bad for Rashad. Being loyal gets you no where anymore, and I think he was manipulated and decieved by promises that were nevr meant to be kept, I cant wait until the next big thing comes around and Jackson dumps Jones also.

Eventhough Jones is so versatile, i feel like his size, reach and body type is the key to his success. I hope natural athleticsm doesnt replace martial arts, Martial arts cant compete with athleticsm) eventhough Jones is a Martial artist, I think his reach helps his wrestling and his striking and submissions. without the reach and size, he may not be champ imo.

Maybe they need a rule that anyone over 6 foot 2 with a reach over 79 inches should fight at heavyweight, because it is gonna continue to look bad for the sport if the big guy keeps winning against a small guy, most people who are new to the sport would think Rashad vs Jones is a completely unfair mismatch in size.

I agree with you, I hope that athleticism doesn't replace martial arts. However, Jones shouldn't have to go to heavyweight just because he's tall and has a long reach. I guarantee you that Rashad packs a hell of a lot more muscle mass into his figure than Jones. In fact, because of his body type Jones is probably physically weaker than a large majority of LHWs. Either way, he's an extremely skilled competitior in addition to his physical attributes (as seen in his use of high-level techniques such as spinning back elbows, suplexes, eiffel towers, etc.).

Post #3   3/24/11 12:36:00PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

I think Jackson's Team coaches lied to Rashad. Jones didnt do anything wrong by pretending he would never fight Rashad,

it was Jackson, who knew 1 man would get the titlte, and Jackson picked Jon Jones.

I wonder if that is why GSP lost trust for those around him after losing to Serra?

and as a result went to Tri-Star, but kept a business relationship with Greg and team.

I feel bad for Rashad. Being loyal gets you no where anymore, and I think he was manipulated and decieved by promises that were nevr meant to be kept, I cant wait until the next big thing comes around and Jackson dumps Jones also.

Eventhough Jones is so versatile, i feel like his size, reach and body type is the key to his success. I hope natural athleticsm doesnt replace martial arts, Martial arts cant compete with athleticsm) eventhough Jones is a Martial artist, I think his reach helps his wrestling and his striking and submissions. without the reach and size, he may not be champ imo.

Maybe they need a rule that anyone over 6 foot 2 with a reach over 79 inches should fight at heavyweight, because it is gonna continue to look bad for the sport if the big guy keeps winning against a small guy, most people who are new to the sport would think Rashad vs Jones is a completely unfair mismatch in size.

I agree with you, I hope that athleticism doesn't replace martial arts. However, Jones shouldn't have to go to heavyweight just because he's tall and has a long reach. I guarantee you that Rashad packs a hell of a lot more muscle mass into his figure than Jones. In fact, because of his body type Jones is probably physically weaker than a large majority of LHWs. Either way, he's an extremely skilled competitior in addition to his physical attributes (as seen in his use of high-level techniques such as spinning back elbows, suplexes, eiffel towers, etc.).

exactly, I think whatever weight class your in, your in, if any thing it looks good for the sport that a skinny guy like jones taps out a big guy like bader or even nate diaz taps out a jacked guy like guillard. it should influence those kids at home who aren't big enough to be football players that there is still a sport for skinny guys

Post #4   3/24/11 12:57:44PM   

xburbx

MMA Regular

xburbx Avatar

Career:645-394
Camp: rafrojas
Chips:
everyone loses as some point.

Post #5   3/24/11 1:39:07PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,134-678
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by xburbx

everyone loses as some point.

Yes and that's what's scary... He's already lost at some point....

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #6   3/24/11 1:45:05PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,713-961
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Jackson is known for picking favorites, and his favorites seem to depend on popularity.

When Sanchez won TUF, Jackson took him under his wing and made him the poster boy for the gym. That changed when GSP came along, and Jackson pushed Sanchez to the side. Same is happening with Jones/Evans. When Evans was champion, Jackson was fully committed to Evans, and now that Jones is in the spotlight, Jackson pushes Evans away.

Post #7   3/24/11 1:57:07PM   

chokehead

Learning to Sprawl

chokehead Avatar

Career:130-89
Camp: Penny-Arcade
Chips:
Sorry, jjeans, but no one's counting the Hamil fight as an actual loss. Not even Matt Hamil.

Also, this thread brings up a good point about Jackson. For a team that's based around teammates not fighting one another, they do have alot of conflict anyway.

Last edited 3/24/11 1:59PM server time by chokehead
3 total post edits

Post #8   3/24/11 1:57:21PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Its never alright to come into someone elses camp and claim your boys then turn your back on the guy.

Everyone knew Jones would make a run at the title and Jackson ask Rashad if it was ok for Jon to join the camp.

I might be off on this but I'm pretty sure that George train at Tri Star first. I think that was his home gym then later went to Jacksons

I feel bad for Rashad. Being loyal gets you no where anymore, and I think he was manipulated and decieved by promises that were never meant to be kept, I cant wait until the next big thing comes around and Jackson dumps Jones also.

Jackson didn't dump Rashad for Jones they both trained at Jacksons Rashad got hurt the UFC offered Jon the title shot Jon decided to take it.

Eventhough Jones is so versatile, i feel like his size, reach and body type is the key to his success. I hope natural athleticsm doesnt replace martial arts, , I think his reach helps his wrestling, striking and submissions.
I wonder what weight JJ walks around at?

It looks bad for the sport if the big guy keeps winning against a small guy, most people who are new to the sport would think Rashad vs Jones is completely unfair size mismatch

They said he walks around at 225. Same as Randy who fights both weights. There is no reason for Jon to move until he wants to. If his lenght is everything then why isn't Stefan Struve the champ? What ever happened to Corey Hill? This Idea is nonsense.

Post #9   3/24/11 2:05:14PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,903-1,298
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I think Evans had to leave because Team Jackson goes where the money is and being with Jones the Champion is where the money is. If Rashad was champ Jones would be packing it up and moving elsewhere. Its a business first just like every other sport. For the record I hope Jones destroys Evans!

Post #10   3/24/11 2:52:55PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I appreciate your keen insight,
Jon Jones shouldnt have fought his boy Rashad
And Greg Jackson asked Rashad if JJ could train with the team, and Rashad claims he said NO
... and Jackson said he would not allow a fight between the two, but now its happening, i guess Rashad wanted Jon to turn down the fight, but he cant expect Jon to vacate the belt because he wont fight a team mate, which makes Rashad look like the bad guy when he gets boo'd in his anouncement about getting the next title shot

As far as my thought that Jon Jones reach and size are a huge advantage, that is fact,
but he also has more athleticism than guy like Struve, who prolly couldnt make 205, but that is a great point. also I think someone complained about Kendall Groves reach, but that hasnt gotten him anywhere.if reach and athletics are good keys to sucess, NBA rejects should start MMA

Lesnar lost to a smaller guy, so maybe size isnt everything

Last edited 3/25/11 2:15PM server time by icantthinkofanything

Post #11   3/25/11 2:13:38PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:
Jon Jones isnt just size he has been training in martial arts for a long time he is a BB in taekwando and i believe he did some others as well as wrestled before he started doing MMA........If u dnt like ur size fight at a smaller class.

Post #12   3/25/11 8:51:11PM