Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shane Carwin Set to Fight Jon Olav Einemo, Possibly at UFC 131

Print  
Who wins at UFC 131?
Shane Carwin 14 88%
Jon Olav Einemo 2 13%
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"As for Shane Carwin: Jon Olav Einemo. That's his next opponent. He's from Norway. He's 6 foot 6, and he's the Abu Dabi [sic] submission champion"

LINK

What do you think Playground? I personally think this is a very strange match but it should be an interesting fight. If Einemo can survive an early onslaught he should take this.

Post #1   3/23/11 4:27:30PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Chips:
That's the point. The UFC probably doesn't think Einemo will survive the early onslaught, and boom, Carwin is back in the title picture. The Heavyweight division is starting to slow back down again and they probably want to build Carwin up.

I don't like this, at all. The guy hasn't fought since 2006, and he's suddenly in the UFC and has a chance to face on of the top fighters? It's bullshit for guys like Mitrione who are working their way up and have earned a chance at a solid opponent.

Post #2   3/23/11 5:17:26PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,754-1,581
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

That's the point. The UFC probably doesn't think Einemo will survive the early onslaught, and boom, Carwin is back in the title picture. The Heavyweight division is starting to slow back down again and they probably want to build Carwin up.

I don't like this, at all. The guy hasn't fought since 2006, and he's suddenly in the UFC and has a chance to face on of the top fighters? It's bullshit for guys like Mitrione who are working their way up and have earned a chance at a solid opponent.

Yes, what the ufc wants and what will actually happen are two very different things. Yes, Carwin could easily just run in there and destroy this guy or this guy could prove how awesome he is. I've seen him fight, he's good and I feel like almost everyone is going to be writing him off. I like to think very outside the box (Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't), and I'm thinking this time it will work out.

Post #3   3/23/11 5:52:26PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
This is possible one of the dumbest match ups the UFC has ever had. But they don't want to put Mitrione against Carwin yet because they are trying to build Matt M up as well. Business wise it is smart, as far as the fight goes it is just dumb.

Post #4   3/23/11 6:14:14PM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
I like Carwin. One of my favorite heavyweights. I want to see him derail Cain someday.

Post #5   3/23/11 6:19:50PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,380-1,274
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Why not against meathead I have no idea
At least give him pee wee herman
This will be a massacre. I am calling it now

Fastest ko in ufc history

Post #6   3/23/11 11:37:01PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:
I think they are trying to give Shane Carwin someone who has as the ability to submit him. Jon Olav being the Abu Dabi submission champion is kind of a big deal. If he can take carwin down it might be pretty interesting. Either, they think Jon Olav has a good chance of being the next Demian Maia or they are hoping Shane Carwin knocks him out in spectacular fashion so his star can start rushing upwards again.

Post #7   3/24/11 1:14:22AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Its a warm up fight for Carwin IMO. Not hating on Einemo just think Carwin will most likley knock his block off

Post #8   3/24/11 6:12:51PM   

KTFOd

Learning to Sprawl

Career:54-24
Chips:
I'm confused on how a guy who hasn't competed in MMA for 5 years not only gets into the UFC, but fights a legit top 10 heavyweight.

Post #9   3/28/11 2:40:19PM   

Scamrock

Learning to Sprawl

Scamrock Avatar

Career:17-11
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

"As for Shane Carwin: Jon Olav Einemo. That's his next opponent. He's from Norway. He's 6 foot 6, and he's the Abu Dabi [sic] submission champion"

LINK

What do you think Playground? I personally think this is a very strange match but it should be an interesting fight. If Einemo can survive an early onslaught he should take this.

I agree with this for the most part. I think they want to get Carwin a win to keep him at the top, but i don't think they want to do it at the expense of any of their "up and comers". I don't think they would throw Schaub (if they would even fight each other), Mitrione, Russow, Browne, etc to the wolves just yet.

Also, for some reason, they seemed to be set on UFC 131 for his return. If they pushed it back, or changed up the already scheduled fights a little, they could have given Carwin a better fight. But due to scheduling, there weren't many options available. Really, the only guys available were Rothwell, Beltran, Hunt, Tuchscherer, and Mitrione if his hand has healed.

Rothwell was saying he wouldn't be back until August. If Mitrione's hand wasn't healed, you're pretty much stuck with Beltran, Hunt, or Tuchscherer (assuming they are all medically cleared. Not sure on them). Einemo isn't that much worse.

Post #10   3/30/11 1:06:28AM