Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frank Shamrock: I Did Not Offer to Take a Dive Against Kimbo Slice

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Frank Shamrock says former EliteXC matchmaker Jared Shaw's recent claim of Shamrock offering to take a dive against Kimbo Slice in the main event of EliteXC-CBS on Oct. 4, 2008 was fabricated.

"No, absolutely not," Shamrock said Monday on The MMA Hour, when asked by host Ariel Helwani about Shaw's claim. "That's some movie b.s. right there."

LINK

Post #1   3/22/11 10:05:37AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think Shaw did want someone to take a dive against Kimbo, whether he said it or not.

Post #2   3/22/11 11:50:00AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,115-670
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Did they not pay or ask Seth to stand with Kimbo anyway? I read that somewhere, he said he wouldn't but yet he did anyway

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #3   3/22/11 12:34:33PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I heard he was gonna replace his brother since Ken got a cut,

I doubt Shammy would throw a fight,

he is way to concerned with his nickname "legend" to throw it all away and lose to a hw, especially since he would make the same money beating someone smaller and easier to fight.

Post #4   3/22/11 12:54:46PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

especially since he would make the same money beating someone smaller and easier to fight.

This was so last minute that it could be a "name your price" situation though.

Post #5   3/22/11 1:16:42PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,528-1,568
Camp: country KO
Chips:
The shaws are full of s**t, I don't beleive anything they say. The only guy who took a dive aginst Kimbo was Bo Cantrel (in my opinion). Then of course there's the TKO of James Thompson for a Cauliflower ear popping, and the alledged no ground stipulation with Ken, Man! Elitexc was corrupt. I bet Frank was offerd cash to take a dive and said no and this is just sour grapes from scumbag Shaw Jr.

Post #6   3/22/11 2:05:31PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
I dont doubt that Frank offered to throw the fight. He sounded desperate to take Kens spot and steal his thunder. There is not a doubt in my mind that he said it just to get the fight and would have taken kimbo down and subbed him.

Post #7   3/22/11 2:49:55PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
This whole story originated with this interview. Believe it or not, Shaw comes off as far less of a tool than you'd expect. As for the meat of the story, I don't see how either $kala or Franky Shams have enough credibility banked up for either's word to be trusted. But this certainly is a fun glimpse into the debacle that was the Shaw era in MMA.

Post #8   3/22/11 3:16:14PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't like Kimbo anywhere near MMA. Never did, never will, and I wouldn't put it past Frank to offer to throw the fight.

Post #9   3/22/11 3:32:12PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
It's hard to believe Shamrock when he blatantly lied in the interview about having never done worked fights. A lot of Pancrase bouts were works, and I've seen him in more than one from that promotion.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #10   3/22/11 5:43:55PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I take franks side on the situation.
He's so ashamed of what Ken has done I don't think he would have thrown the Kimbo fight.

Post #11   3/22/11 7:37:47PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
A few highlights I got today from Sherdog radio for those who have no listened yet.

1. Frank fought in Pancress and as stated before worked fights happened all the time there.

2. Frank was and still is a share holder of Pro Elite he had a huge Financial intrest in Elite XC. This was the CBS card Kimbo had to fight.

3. Shamrock claims he offred to fight him but Shaw said no. He said he would make Kimbo look like a million bucks. When asked if that ment he would carry him Shamrock said no I would have kicked the crap out of him with style.

4. Shaw claims he felt Frank and Cung Le Fixed thier fight. Sighting why would Frank not take him to the floor?

5. Lastly one of them claimed that Ken may have cut himself to get out of the Kimbo fight.

Its all really intresting. I didn't get to listen to the sunday sit down yet but the Savage dog show and Beatdown covered this very well. In the end its the word of one snake agianst the other.

Post #12   3/22/11 8:56:43PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
One Interview I saw with Frank said he would make the fight entertaining. But being entertaining and throwing a fight can be two completely different things all together.

Yeah,i'm sure pancrase had some worked bouts,though how many i'm not sure of,and everyone one of Pancrase top elite have different stories to tell about the situation. I know Ken had at least one fixed fight for sure but i really don't know about the other fighters and the situations they delt with.
Like Bas said, "the fights where only fixed when the champions had to lose a fight but never when they won a title." That I believe carries merit with it.

But while we are on the topic of fixed fights in Japan i feel it very important that we remove our western perception of the idea and look at it from the view of the Japanese for a moment (something most never attempt to do) and keep from demonizing it so much. MMA in Japan did not really originally come from the UFC but devolped through their own pro-wrestling and the need to watch bouts that where not all "fixed",or not completely fake. Watch the first few original RINGS events and you will see the evolution from complete pro-wrestling,to stiff wrestling,to full on MMA. It had a different system of development in Japan and would be influenced by what is now known as MMA but was not created by it.
In short,fights that where somewhat worked or planned out was not so big a deal in Japan,or at least not to the Japanese.

Post #13   3/22/11 10:49:39PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,528-1,568
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

One Interview I saw with Frank said he would make the fight entertaining. But being entertaining and throwing a fight can be two completely different things all together.

Yeah,i'm sure pancrase had some worked bouts,though how many i'm not sure of,and everyone one of Pancrase top elite have different stories to tell about the situation. I know Ken had at least one fixed fight for sure but i really don't know about the other fighters and the situations they delt with.
Like Bas said, "the fights where only fixed when the champions had to lose a fight but never when they won a title." That I believe carries merit with it.

But while we are on the topic of fixed fights in Japan i feel it very important that we remove our western perception of the idea and look at it from the view of the Japanese for a moment (something most never attempt to do) and keep from demonizing it so much. MMA in Japan did not really originally come from the UFC but devolped through their own pro-wrestling and the need to watch bouts that where not all "fixed",or not completely fake. Watch the first few original RINGS events and you will see the evolution from complete pro-wrestling,to stiff wrestling,to full on MMA. It had a different system of development in Japan and would be influenced by what is now known as MMA but was not created by it.
In short,fights that where somewhat worked or planned out was not so big a deal in Japan,or at least not to the Japanese.

It's hard to ignore the horrible decisions though, Ninja vs Rampage always comes to mind for me. organized crime has a big hand in JMMA. There are countless instances of refs enforcing rules very differently for non- Japanese fighters.

Post #14   3/23/11 1:41:43AM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

Did they not pay or ask Seth to stand with Kimbo anyway? I read that somewhere, he said he wouldn't but yet he did anyway

Thats what Seth Petruzelli was claiming but Elite XC denied it. Who knows if this is true either since obviously Frank is denying it as well. It does make ya think though.

Posted by Svartorm

It's hard to believe Shamrock when he blatantly lied in the interview about having never done worked fights. A lot of Pancrase bouts were works, and I've seen him in more than one from that promotion.

no ****? when did that come to light? I never heard anything about it.

Post #15   3/23/11 5:02:47AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2