Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC champs VS Strikeforce champs

Print  
Posted By Message

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,809-1,609
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
With the recent purchase of Strikeforce I've been meaning to post something like this. I want to know who everyone thinks would win in these 5 matches. Champ VS Champ baby, who takes it?

LW

Frankie Edgar VS Gilbert Melendez

WW

Georges St. Pierre VS Nick Diaz

MW

Anderson Silva VS Ronaldo Souza

LHW

Jon Jones VS Dan Henderson

HW

Cain Velasquez VS Alistair Overeem

Post #1   3/22/11 9:38:48AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I think every Strikeforce champion would have to earn a title shot in the UFC, and only 1 or 2 of them actually would. Of the matchups you've posted, I would pick the UFC champ to win all of them.

Post #2   3/22/11 9:52:30AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

I think every Strikeforce champion would have to earn a title shot in the UFC, and only 1 or 2 of them actually would. Of the matchups you've posted, I would pick the UFC champ to win all of them.

Agreed.

Post #3   3/22/11 9:55:40AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:
LW

Frankie Edgar VS Gilbert Melendez - This one has fight of the year written all over it. I've gotta go with Edgar by a close decision. Both fighters can no doubt push the pace better than most but I think Edgar's ability to land the takedowns will be enough to give him the edge.

WW

Georges St. Pierre VS Nick Diaz - I don't like Nick Diaz one bit but damn can he fight. He's got a vast supply of experience and his chin is arguably one of the best ever. The problem with this fight is that GSP is the best, no ifs ands or buts. GSP by decision.

MW

Anderson Silva VS Ronaldo Souza - Souza could potentially be one of Silva's tougher challenges. Unfortunately for him, I don't see Silva ending up on the ground. Silva by 1st round ko.

LHW

Jon Jones VS Dan Henderson - This fight is something I'm dying to see at this point. I don't think it'll happen but if it did, damn this could sell out an arena pretty damn quick. Hendo is nearing the end of career, despite what he may tell you. That H-Bomb isn't going to win him fights forever and this fight would definitely not go in Hendo's favor. Hendo has been taken down before by fighters less skilled than Jones. I've gotta go with the hype and say Jones by tko in the 2nd.

HW

Cain Velasquez VS Alistair Overeem - This is a great fight and I've broken it down several times before. I'll give the short version here. Cain by takedowns at will and a deadly GNP assault.

Last edited 3/22/11 10:04AM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: Added Heavyweight prediction.

Post #4   3/22/11 10:00:52AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

This is very hypothetical. I don't want or expect any of them to actually fight for the title. Just a fun little break down. I chose all the ufc champs to win as well but I still like to go through the matches in my head and analysis what might happen.

Last edited 3/22/11 10:06AM server time by budgellism
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   3/22/11 10:06:16AM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
I'd take Edgar by UD, GSP by UD, The Spider by 2nd round TKO, Bones Jones by 1st round submission, and Velasquez by 3rd round TKO.

Velasquez vs. Overeem, in my opinion, would generate the most hype out of that group.

Post #6   3/22/11 11:58:43AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by AchillesHeel

Agreed.

double agreed

Post #7   3/22/11 4:29:33PM   

MMAOvertime

Learning to Sprawl

MMAOvertime Avatar

Career:-2
Chips:
This was an easy question. My vote would be for every UFC fighter listed, to win, no doubt about it.

Post #8   3/22/11 5:09:35PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
I'd agree with the UFC guys taking the welter, middle and light heavy fights. but gilbert/frankie would be close and alistair is well versed in submissions if cain takes him down and I highly doubt cain can stand and trade with alistair.

Post #9   3/22/11 7:45:44PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,888-1,075
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Frankie/Melendez and Cain/Overeem are the ones that appeal to me, but I think the UFC would sweep.

Post #10   3/23/11 6:18:29AM