Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Best Chance at Beating Jon Jones

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,433-855
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

Posted by State_Champ

I absolutely disagree that Machida would beat Jones.

We are saying who would have the best chance. Machida could POSSIBLY evade Jones' powerful strikes and Machida has better takedown defense than Shogun. Machida's wrestling is excellent and his standup is elusive.

Fair enough.

EDIT: Still, I absolutely disagree that Machida has the best chance.

Last edited 3/21/11 9:37PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   3/21/11 9:36:45PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
Well being the better wrestler decides where the fight takes place I would have to say Evans if he fights the fight he should...

Definitely not Rampage...If you are giving him a punchers chance might as well give that to the whole division..

Evans has the most experience with Jon Jones and his speed..hes prolly the next best wrestler..but I have Evans wrestling even with Phil Davis And Bader..I still have Jon Jones cardio suspect and I am sure Evans knows what might be the wekness of Jon Jones if there is one...

I give machida no chance and his style of running and eluding might find him on more losing ends in the future...Espeecially if dana White has a say in it...

When Jon Jones moves up I still see him losing to Carwin, Cain and Brock.....

Post #17   3/30/11 4:19:59PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I disagree with machidas wrestling being excellent...He took down tito with a trip and got Rua down but they both go back up and remember Tito almost caught machida in the triangle...he needs to work on controlling his opponent on teh ground...

Post #18   3/30/11 4:21:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I am a huge Machida fan, but I think he would have a horrible night against Jones. He simply isn't big enough to contend with Jon's reach.

Post #19   3/30/11 10:37:25PM   

KTFOd

Learning to Sprawl

Career:54-24
Chips:
Rampage: Relies too much on his power and he is too 1 dimensional. Also I'm not sure how good his submission defense is.

Evans: Has a weak chin. That is a HUGE disadvantage for him.

Lyoto: He has a good chance because he is so elusive, however Jones' reach does pose a problem.

Shogun: I think has the best chance. Although he did get dominated, that was not the same Shogun prior to the surgery.

Phil Davis: Sloppy striking. Although he could eventually become the man if he keeps on improving.

Lil Nog: He will be a punching bag for 5 rounds.

Karlos Vemola: I have high expectations, maybe a little too high.

Post #20   3/31/11 10:41:21AM   

roofer1967

MMA Regular

roofer1967 Avatar

Career:857-527
Camp: Frontline
Chips:
I really think Rashad has the best chance to beat him. Not only has he trained with him he uses alot of head movement and might be able to slip a couple strikes and catch Jones with a bomb. As far as Machida goes he's a very fast striker but i think Jones reach would kill him if they fought.

Post #21   3/31/11 4:44:27PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Career:7-4
Chips:
i think lyoto and rashad have good chances of giving jones problems. im not saying they'd win but they'd give him a lot more trouble than what he has faced so far.

rashad does a great job of mixing his takedowns with his striking and i think will be able to avoid being taken down by jones. i dont think that rashad will be able to outstrike jones though. when they fight, i think we'll see a very conservative gameplan by rashad.

lyoto is very elusive and is hard to hit, even tho he did get KO'd by shogun. i dont think jones will have such an easy time putting his hands on lyoto....not to mention, lyoto has great counters.

Post #22   3/31/11 7:12:08PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
I just hope shogun comes back through the ranks and gets to challenge jones.. I don't know if it'll be a different outcome, but it will be a better performance in my opinion.
Shogun didn't look himself at all...

To answer the question, I think its going to take someone like hendo, with a WORLD CLASS wrestling background to change the pace of these fights. IDK if he'd win, but it def wouldnt be as easy for jones.

and when I say world class I mean olympic level, not NCAA champ.

even if hendo or someone like him (wrestling) fought jones, idk what they'd do about the reach.boxing would have to be superb as well. maybe a huge sean sherk type. If that kinda guy exists.. I haven't seen him yet. I guess rashad is the best bet imo.

Last edited 4/1/11 8:21PM server time by jgtribbett

Post #23   4/1/11 8:20:51PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

If you could combine all three of those guys then they could beat him. Need someone with good size like Rampage and power. Then the wrestling of Rashad. The quickness of Machida and countering and possibly submission game.

Hmmm...that means only these guys could beat him...

You forgot Rocky

Post #24   4/1/11 8:23:25PM   

kylev16

Learning to Sprawl

Career:6-5
Chips:
i actually think Forrest would stand the best chance stylistically, because like Jones, he is a rather large LHW. Not saying he would win, but i think it would be interesting.

Post #25   4/4/11 3:39:33AM   

bhardy22132

Learning to Sprawl

Career:131-122
Chips:
If forest doesn't fall to the ground from the punches he would eat like he did against Anderson. He could stand a chance. Rashad has a shot at beating Jones as well. Like I was saying before Jones looked like he was getting tired in his fight with shogun. If forest can take a little abuse and get it to the later rounds he would be more than capable of beating Jones. And Rashad has the speed that could give Jones fits and tire him out.

Post #26   4/4/11 10:01:13AM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Im still not completely sold on Jones stand up game. He beat shogun because he destroyed him on the ground. Jones would have problems with Machida, simply because it would be the oddest style hes faced. Jones would have problems with Rampage as well.

Whenever a dominant champ comes around, everyone thinks theyre unstoppable. Like Rampage, or Lesnar, until someone comes around and stops the hype. Jones is still young and still has to improve..

Post #27   4/4/11 11:26:59AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,456-896
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

To answer the question, I think its going to take someone like hendo, with a WORLD CLASS wrestling background to change the pace of these fights. IDK if he'd win, but it def wouldnt be as easy for jones.

I agree. Hendo is an olympic caliber wrestler, and correct me if I'm wrong, he represented the US as a greco-roman wrestler in the olympics. That just screams trouble for Jones. Hendo's cardio isn't always the best, but from the looks of Jones toward the end of the fight with Rua, he doesn't have the cardio to go for five rounds, and we know he has never experienced the championship rounds before whereas Hendo did with Rampage, not to mention hendo has experience with the excruciatingly painful 10 minute round in Pride. Someone who Jones couldn't ragdoll would give him fits, and Hendo is that guy because Hendo knows all the throws that Jones knows, and he probably knows how to defend against them to. Need I mention hendo's chin of granite? Until I started watching a lot of Hendo's old fights I never thought there would be someone who used the strategy of blocking punches with their face as effectively as Leben does, though it's starting to lose its effectiveness for Leben.

Last edited 4/5/11 7:06PM server time by ufc_Fanatic

Post #28   4/5/11 7:04:21PM   

Darce

Learning to Sprawl

Darce Avatar

Career:104-88
Camp: Toe_Smashers
Chips:
Good question first of all. I like Evans chances based on his speed alone, he is very small compared to Jones, but if he can move around that could create some openings for him.

I also like Forrest, like a few of you have posted already he is a big LHW so Jones could have some trouble throwing him around, he is also good at pretty much everything. Forrest does a good job of staying on his opponents and making them work as well which could be a bit different for Jones.

Post #29   4/5/11 8:43:19PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,500-882
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Machida and Shogun are the only fighters with credible chances.

Rampage has that one shot power, but its basically a gamble on the 'punchers chance.'

Rashad has good wrestling but not as good as Jones and he's totally out matched physically and in striking.

Forrest has no chin.. He's not nearly good enough wrestling. He's physically out matched. He doesn't have one shot power.

Machida, has outstanding grappling, takedowns, and takedown defense. He's one of the premier strikers in the division and has knockout power. He's elusive and likes to kick.

Shogun has a great ground game and brutal stand up. He looked bad in the first fight with jones because of the long lay off and surgery.

Post #30   4/5/11 8:47:39PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3