Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Babin looks at MMA, CFL during break from Titans

Print  
Do you think the NFL lockout will boost MMA veiwership?
yes 8 50%
no 8 50%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
The NFL lockout has given players a chance to put their feet up and take it easy if they want.

Titans defensive end Jason Babin apparently is viewing it as an opportunity to cross things off his bucket list — or maybe even add to it.

He plans to begin mixed martial arts training in California, and if things go well he said he could enter MMA competitions. He's also scheduled a bear-hunting trip to Alaska next month.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110317/SPORTS01/103170321/-1/RSS0201/Babin-looks-MMA-CFL-during-break-from-Titans

Post #1   3/18/11 3:30:43PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Your going to take a mma fight thats going to pay at the very most $5000 I doubt it

Post #2   3/18/11 4:38:15PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
If you answered yes please explain why.

Post #3   3/18/11 5:06:34PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by postman

Did you read the poll?

I don't see how it couldn't...even if it's by a small margin.

Last edited 3/18/11 5:18PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   3/18/11 5:17:22PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,719-1,676
Camp: country KO
Chips:
I say no it wouldn't because there isn't a lot of MMA on Sundays and Mondays and I don't think the demographics cross over much, I happen to like both sports but I will watch the same amount both regardless of what the other is doing.

Post #5   3/18/11 5:28:37PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The Ravens player Tom Z, I think I can't fully remember his name but I think he's the linebacker.

He did his I think 3rd pro boxing bout like this past weekend and made 50k for a quick KO win.

Post #6   3/18/11 5:28:39PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Did you read the poll?

Do you think it will also boost the NBA and NHL?

Post #7   3/18/11 5:39:06PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Did you read the poll?

If they play during the same season, absolutely. Why would it not?

Post #8   3/19/11 3:52:58AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Did you read the poll?

If they play during the same season, absolutely. Why would it not?

Because they play a huge portion of their seasons when the football season is over. If they are not watching it now I don't think there to being football is going to get them to watch. As far as MMA goes agian How many NFL games happen at 10:00 on a saturday night? How many foot ball games cost nearly $60.00? If they were going to watch MMA they already would be.

Post #9   3/19/11 11:02:40AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Because they play a huge portion of their seasons when the football season is over.

That's the exact reason why I stated if they play during the same season. I'm not claiming anything other than what happens during their crossover seasons...of coarse there would be some small carryover following the regular season as well, which is a statistical fact when it comes to watching MMA (the UFC at least). This obviously has no impact on MMA though, as MMA is an all season sport.

As far as MMA goes agian How many NFL games happen at 10:00 on a saturday night? How many foot ball games cost nearly $60.00?

This is a bit short sighted IMO. Sometimes sports fans just need to fill the gap. Sometimes they try something new. Sometimes they need their fix of exciting sports to watch that many other sports just won't be able to take care of. The cost of a PPV really doesn't mean a whole lot when you consider options like free fight cards, pitching in at a buddies house, or going to the bar. Those people all add up. Not to mention the non-direct impact, such as MMA increasing their market share from the sports reporting media.

If they were going to watch MMA they already would be.

With that logic, MMA has all the fans it will ever receive. Dark times moving forward, if that's the case.

Post #10   3/19/11 11:55:36AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by machodog76

I say no it wouldn't because there isn't a lot of MMA on Sundays and Mondays and I don't think the demographics cross over much, I happen to like both sports but I will watch the same amount both regardless of what the other is doing.

I don't see how it will increase viewership, unless Dana is able to somehow get a mainstream network deal and have fights shown in the afternoon during the lockout. Casual fans will watch if it's on, but not actively search around for fights like more die hards might.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #11   3/19/11 2:43:48PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by postman

Because they play a huge portion of their seasons when the football season is over.

That's the exact reason why I stated if they play during the same season. I'm not claiming anything other than what happens during their crossover seasons...of coarse there would be some small carryover following the regular season as well, which is a statistical fact when it comes to watching MMA (the UFC at least). This obviously has no impact on MMA though, as MMA is an all season sport.

As far as MMA goes agian How many NFL games happen at 10:00 on a saturday night? How many foot ball games cost nearly $60.00?

This is a bit short sighted IMO. Sometimes sports fans just need to fill the gap. Sometimes they try something new. Sometimes they need their fix of exciting sports to watch that many other sports just won't be able to take care of. The cost of a PPV really doesn't mean a whole lot when you consider options like free fight cards, pitching in at a buddies house, or going to the bar. Those people all add up. Not to mention the non-direct impact, such as MMA increasing their market share from the sports reporting media.

If they were going to watch MMA they already would be.

With that logic, MMA has all the fans it will ever receive. Dark times moving forward, if that's the case.

I highly doubt ESPN is going to jump on reporting MMA since football isn't there. They are going to report on the lock out and they will do more NBA coverage. I really only see people maybe watching College football more. As far as MMA not getting bigger reports are that it has begun to plateau. The boom from the Ultimate fighter has passed. We will have to agree to dissagree. I wish some more people would post on this. I watch football every sunday and when the saeson is over I just do something else. I don't worry about being infront of the TV at 1:00 every sunday. I don't make a effort to be sure I have something to do at that time for the rest of the year either.

Post #12   3/19/11 4:16:38PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
I highly doubt ESPN is going to jump on reporting MMA since football isn't there. They are going to report on the lock out and they will do more NBA coverage. I really only see people maybe watching College football more. As far as MMA not getting bigger reports are that it has begun to plateau. The boom from the Ultimate fighter has passed. We will have to agree to dissagree. I wish some more people would post on this. I watch football every sunday and when the saeson is over I just do something else. I don't worry about being infront of the TV at 1:00 every sunday. I don't make a effort to be sure I have something to do at that time for the rest of the year either.

I never said MMA would get all of the coverage that would have gone to football, but they will get a portion. What reports say that it has begun to plateau? Each year, the numbers are still getting larger, so I'd like to see the angle on that. There wasn't a boom that passed. The sport is still growing.

What "you" do in regards to watching football or sports in general doesn't necessarily apply to the other hundreds of millions of people watching television. When there are fewer options, all remaining options will reap the rewards. I haven't heard any logic that would say otherwise. Statistics and logic purely say that the numbers will go up for all sports. If that's not the case, there has to be a specific reason why. There are new people giving MMA a chance every day and all this would do is expedite that process. And it's not even new fans either...casual fans, who are also football fans, will have more time to dedicate to watching MMA. It's simple logic, really.

Post #13   3/20/11 10:53:31AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

I never said MMA would get all of the coverage that would have gone to football, but they will get a portion. What reports say that it has begun to plateau? Each year, the numbers are still getting larger, so I'd like to see the angle on that. There wasn't a boom that passed. The sport is still growing.

What "you" do in regards to watching football or sports in general doesn't necessarily apply to the other hundreds of millions of people watching television. When there are fewer options, all remaining options will reap the rewards. I haven't heard any logic that would say otherwise. Statistics and logic purely say that the numbers will go up for all sports. If that's not the case, there has to be a specific reason why. There are new people giving MMA a chance every day and all this would do is expedite that process. And it's not even new fans either...casual fans, who are also football fans, will have more time to dedicate to watching MMA. It's simple logic, really.

Fair enough but considering I am the demographic they are going after its a good place to start. I sparked a conversation up last night with my buddies at the bar and asked if there is no NFL next year will you start watching NBA and everyone of them (8 guys between 21 and 27) laughed and said no they don't like basketball. So I said how about hockey (knowing Pittsburgh isn't a huge basketball market but the Pens do well) and they all agreed that if a game is on then and they catch it then they will watch. Last I asked about MMA and everyone of them said if they are at the bar they watch the fights but they are not going to start keeping track of it and buy Pay Per Views with or with out football. If your not attracted to a sport the lack of another sport isn't going to draw you in.

As far as MMA growing it exploded after the ultimate fighter but the grow rate is slowing down. It is still growing but its not growing at the rate it was a few years ago. I have no doubt it will continue to grow but we are not going to see the huge rate that we did after the first few seasons. I was listening to the savage dog show just the other day and they even said that Sherdog had a huge boom for a few years and while it is still growing its rate has slowed.

Post #14   3/20/11 5:00:38PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:
Yes, the growth rate has slowed, but it is still steady. It has certainly not "plateaued", which was actually your original claim. Lastly, I was not aware that you had polled 8 sports fans. My apologizes...case closed.

Post #15   3/21/11 11:42:45AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2