Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Melvin Guillard vs. Shane Roller set for UFC 132 in Las Vegas

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Melvin Guillard has another hurdle to clear before he breaks into the role of lightweight title challenger.

"The Young Assassin" meets recent knockout artist Shane Roller at UFC 132, which is expected to take place July 2 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The UFC today announced the bout. It's unknown if Guillard vs. Roller will air on the pay-per-view event's main card.

LINK

Post #1   3/14/11 8:48:08PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Melvin Guillard has another hurdle to clear before he breaks into the role of lightweight title challenger.

"The Young Assassin" meets recent knockout artist Shane Roller at UFC 132, which is expected to take place July 2 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The UFC today announced the bout. It's unknown if Guillard vs. Roller will air on the pay-per-view event's main card.

LINK

Oh wow! Busy day for Joe Silva, eh. This is a tough fight to call, it could go a number of ways. If Shane is smart (which I think he is) he'll be shooting for that takedown until he can get it and lock on one of those chokes he's so good at.

Post #2   3/14/11 8:51:52PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:
Tough fight to call. Tavares was lighting Roller up in their fight until the comeback knockout. If Roller eats those kind of punches from Guillard, he will go down after just one or two. Smart move would be to shoot for a takedown straight from the start. But, I just don't think Roller will have enough strength against Guillard to do so.

Post #3   3/14/11 9:03:28PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I like Roller and don't mean to disrespect him, he is a cool guy I follow him on twitter, but with the way Guillard has been rolling lately and calling for a title shot and to draw Roller seems a bit odd.

I guess I can see looking at Roller's previous fights in the WEC beating some big guys and losing to the top. Two straight wins right now with finishes over Varner and Tavares. Had a loss to Pettis and Henderson. Then wins over Castillo, Njokauni, and Marcus Hicks.

Guillard has that strength and improved takedown defense and hard to keep down, so he will be hard to take down and then has that power and speed. Then Roller's stand up is very odd.

I see Guillard landing a quick power shot and then flurries and finishes the first, possibly late first or early second.

Post #4   3/14/11 9:17:46PM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
I'll take Guillard by Unanimous. Glad to see him in the Octagon again.

Post #5   3/14/11 9:35:21PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I like Roller and don't mean to disrespect him, he is a cool guy I follow him on twitter, but with the way Guillard has been rolling lately and calling for a title shot and to draw Roller seems a bit odd.

I guess I can see looking at Roller's previous fights in the WEC beating some big guys and losing to the top. Two straight wins right now with finishes over Varner and Tavares. Had a loss to Pettis and Henderson. Then wins over Castillo, Njokauni, and Marcus Hicks.

Guillard has that strength and improved takedown defense and hard to keep down, so he will be hard to take down and then has that power and speed. Then Roller's stand up is very odd.

I see Guillard landing a quick power shot and then flurries and finishes the first, possibly late first or early second.

I know what you mean, Roller's a great fighter but this seems like a big step down from Dunham. Guillard absolutely annihilated Dunham in a huge upset, I think that he's earned a better opponent. Oh well, show's what one cool-looking straight right can do.

Post #6   3/14/11 10:25:09PM   

Budgellism

Raptors Fan

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,716-1,550
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

I know what you mean, Roller's a great fighter but this seems like a big step down from Dunham. Guillard absolutely annihilated Dunham in a huge upset, I think that he's earned a better opponent. Oh well, show's what one cool-looking straight right can do.

Well when you think about it there aren't a lot of top guys free right now. Edgar, Maynard, Miller, Bendo, Pettis, Guida, all have fights booked and BJ, Florian and Sanchez have left the division. I could see him fighting Sherk. That's the fight that makes the absolute most sense but maybe he's hurt or something. Roller is coming off of two impressive wins over two decent guys. The ufc made the call and Roller came running at the opportunity. It's gonna be a close fight, I'm almost sure of it. But then again I've been wrong a lot before as my 318 career losses on this site show

Post #7   3/14/11 11:10:57PM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DeadHead988

Well when you think about it there aren't a lot of top guys free right now. Edgar, Maynard, Miller, Bendo, Pettis, Guida, all have fights booked and BJ, Florian and Sanchez have left the division. I could see him fighting Sherk. That's the fight that makes the absolute most sense but maybe he's hurt or something. Roller is coming off of two impressive wins over two decent guys. The ufc made the call and Roller came running at the opportunity. It's gonna be a close fight, I'm almost sure of it. But then again I've been wrong a lot before as my 318 career losses on this site show

I was thinking the same thing but the only reason I can see the UFC giving Melvin this fight is if you notice when a contender is streaking they tend to give them a fight they should win to see if their head is in the right place. Melvin has proven to be immature and could very well overlook Roller and get upset, he Needs to prove he can win when everyone expects him to win. I think he is in the right place and will win but I kind of get the match making.

Post #8   3/14/11 11:34:35PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Almost got too many top contenders at LW. Just had George/Siver, then you've got Guida/Pettis and Jim Miller fighting and then Guillard who has 4 straight wins.

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds and who gets the next shot and who has to wait or who has to take another fight.

Post #9   3/15/11 12:34:55AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I was really hoping he would get Jim miller if he won his fight this saturday

this does seem like a step down in competition, while guillard is on a roll, it is because he has been avoiding the ground game entirely with improved takedown d. he has fought good ground guys but none of those guys, dunham, tibau, etc. are known for having good takedowns. I'd like to see what guillards take down d looks like against an actual wrestler

Post #10   3/15/11 1:32:45AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think Roller proved he's worthy with his comeback, but I see Melvin picking him apart with that fencing jab and leg kicks

Last edited 3/15/11 12:55PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   3/15/11 10:22:54AM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,904-1,018
Chips:
I think this is a keep melvin busy fight I wouldn't be surprised if the ufc matches him up with the loser of maynard and edgar, from there he earns his title shot

Post #12   3/15/11 10:52:28AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I think Guillard wins this one very quickly.

Post #13   3/15/11 12:24:02PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I think this is a keep melvin busy fight I wouldn't be surprised if the ufc matches him up with the loser of maynard and edgar, from there he earns his title shot

Nice idea mate

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #14   3/15/11 12:30:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Shane got lucky against thiago
He won't against melvin

Post #15   3/15/11 1:03:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2