Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Strikeforce has appoached Fedor about fight at 205 against Henderson

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Fedor Emelianenko may drop to 205 pounds and challenge for the light heavyweight title in 2011, according to Fighters Only Magazine.

The Russian legend had been approached by Strikeforce officials prior to this past weekends Rafael Cavalcante vs. Dan Henderson bout about fighting for the title at 205 pounds. Emelianenko is reportedly interested.

LINK

Post #1   3/9/11 3:20:39AM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,069-1,288
Chips:
WOW now that would be awesome!

Post #2   3/9/11 8:04:32AM   

quezocrema0032

In Full Mount

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,889-1,010
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I'm surprised fedor is willing to cut the weight, doesn't seem like the type to do so. Guess a fight with big foot will do that for you, I like this fight. Either legend will add an incredible win to their resumes. Fedor winning a belt at 205 would add so much to his claim of being the best fighter ever. I never thought he was but if he wins that belt it would be hard to argue

Post #3   3/9/11 9:10:29AM   

Bythar

MMA Regular

Bythar Avatar

Career:1,706-901
Chips:
I'd love to see Henderson take this one - hopefully it happens.

Post #4   3/9/11 9:12:08AM   

Xephos

Learning to Sprawl

Career:4-3
Chips:
I cant see any lhw beats fedor.. Fedor has aggresiveness of a Mauricio, black belt judo he tapped so many big names, great takedowns and takedown defenses, and has a great resilience. Fedor win this fight for sure, but the question is : will randy couture vs fedor emelianenko happen?

Post #5   3/9/11 9:21:20AM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,771-1,019
Chips:

Posted by Xephos

I cant see any lhw beats fedor.. Fedor has aggresiveness of a Mauricio, black belt judo he tapped so many big names, great takedowns and takedown defenses, and has a great resilience. Fedor win this fight for sure, but the question is : will randy couture vs fedor emelianenko happen?

I think you're being a little unrealistic if you think Fedor can drop ~30lbs and not have it drastically affect his physical capabilities.

First and foremost Fedor is not accustomed to cutting weight so for at least the first couple of times he does it will definitely hamper his conditioning. Secondly, if you haven't noticed, Fedor's striking is very flawed from a technical standpoint and he generates power by lunging into his opponent rather than by sound technique. Kiss a good chunk of that goodbye if he drops to LHW. Thirdly the general skill level is much higher at LHW where you have far more fighters who are very well rounded and can do it all. And finally one of Fedor's biggest assets against HWs is his speed and that is something he simply won't have against most top tier LHWs.

I'm not saying Fedor can't be successful at LHW but there is no doubt the move will create more obstacles than it will remove.

Post #6   3/9/11 10:34:06AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Good move for Fedor, the hw division has become a big mans division at 245 + , and Fedor has plenty of weight to cut, I figure 30 lbs, but can he do it? From what I see , once one hits 32, cutting weight is much harder and gaining lbs comes easy.

Also, it seems to me Fedor went undefeated by having
a great chin
aggression,
speed,
Intimidation,
a good gg
and a very hard punch with a lot of accuracy,

but in Fedors last fights, he didnt land those punches hard or accurate, his timing and balance was off and he gassed vs Silva (silva has a good chin, but so do alot of other big men at 265 lbs)

At 205 will Fedor have a speed advantage? If Fedor couldnt sub Nog, could he sub Roger Gracie or Hendo? will cutting weight gas Fedor more than fighting at hw or less? Fedor used to have a great cardio game and could survive every storm

timing a lhw is harder than a hw with a big head, will those punches land on Hendo?

Fedor should become a cruiserweight like Randy and some others, but theres no such thing yet, and catchweights in SF are soooo played out, more than rematches at SF!!!

It seems like Fedor let's his talent go to waste by not training with pro mma fighters. I have seen Fedor work out with russian kids, and it is obvious that unless the mma community relocates to russia, there is no good fighters in rural small town russia at the moment
I pick Hendo by UD, Fedor will look past Hendo, and Hendo will work his ass off to win i think.

Last edited 3/9/11 11:30AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   3/9/11 11:25:16AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Chips:
The only way they could make this fight happen is on PPV

Henderson and Fedor both get paid more than everyone else on the card combined when they fight for Strikeforce. Either they'd have to have a challengers undercard or make it a PPV.

It would probably work though, its the only fight I can think of in Strikeforce I'd pay to see.

Post #8   3/9/11 11:43:06AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Chips:
Man what a great fight that would be. Got goosebumps!

I would root for Fedor but Hendo is a tough fight for anyone.

Post #9   3/9/11 12:13:32PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Chips:
Crazy fight

Hendo could ko him. Grapple and wrestle him down

Fedor could sub him. And probably ko him.

I think maybe candidate for fight of the year

Post #10   3/9/11 12:41:55PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Standup Guy

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:1,796-1,089
Chips:
If Fedor does this, then he should hire some experts to help him.

His coaches don't seem to know much about weight cutting.

Post #11   3/9/11 12:53:56PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,528-1,568
Camp: country KO
Chips:
If he loses the weight rather than cutting from 230 (which given his pudgy physique I'd say is impossible) I think he'd be a force I say he knocks Hendo out. If he tries to cut from 230 he doesn't make it out of the first.

Post #12   3/9/11 1:58:40PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
IMO Fedor would be Unstoppable at LHW. I would love to see this fight but Fedor and Henderson are some of my favorite fighters. Still be a sick fight though.

Post #13   3/9/11 2:56:07PM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
I like how a man can loose 2 fights in a row and get a title fight in another division. If he looses a 3rd, are they just going to give him the belt in both divisions???

Not hateing on him or anything. The man has fought wars. But what happened to winning for title fights. I don't like how Strikeforce keep trying to put all the eggs in one basket.

Post #14   3/9/11 4:41:00PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by DJBlankenship

I like how a man can loose 2 fights in a row and get a title fight in another division. If he looses a 3rd, are they just going to give him the belt in both divisions???

Not hateing on him or anything. The man has fought wars. But what happened to winning for title fights. I don't like how Strikeforce keep trying to put all the eggs in one basket.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I can't believe how many people think this is awesome. Would it be a good fight? Probably, but Strikeforce would be shooting themselves in the foot and ruin any semblance of credibility they had maintained/garnered up until this point.

If Dan wins, he beat a washed up Fedor, and if Fedor wins, he is a guy 0-2 who beat a world champion. This is a lose-lose situation for Strikeforce.

Post #15   3/9/11 4:47:51PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2