Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Hughes and Dana White Believe BJ Penn Beat Jon Fitch

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Atleast the president and the Hall of famer agree with me.

Fitch did't do enough in the second to reverse BJ making Fitch bleed and being in a position of dominance back mount, to end a fight,

whereas Fitch was never in a position to win the fight in his 3 rd rally, No way he deserves a 10-8 round who ever gets a 10-8 rd for that kind of gnp, I don't think Fitch was trying to finish,

but I do admit, Bj was too gassed to push Fitch off, in the 3rd

afterall Fitch couldn't take BJ down, and only did from the flying knee attempt,
in the 3rd when bj was gassed is how he got taken down and couldnt get up, although bj didnt do anything to not deserve a 10-8 round, neither did Fitch deserve anything more than a 10-9 round.

I think If it was any other fight a one sided gnp performance like Fitch's 3 rd, wouldnt get scored a 10-8 , mostly because the fight was gonna be stood up for lack of action, but Fitch kept throwing those weak punches to the body, most refs would have stood them up.
the judges always score bj fights badly
I never like 10-8 scoring, ever !
10-8 rounds are saved for knockdowns, like in boxing...either way I would love to see judging get it's act together.

BJ rules, he brings it and tries to finish always, hes the most aggressive fighter these days, and I want him to have his own division
Light welterweight
162 lbs

not to mention a Franklin division 195
and a
Fedor/Couture 225-235 division
would be awesome, and 125 lbs too

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 2

Last edited 3/2/11 2:13PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #16   3/2/11 12:06:46PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,336-1,398
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
who cares bout Fitch..he's not gettin a title shot ne time soon..Dana already said fighters who finish fights, are gettin titles shot before those who win by decision..watch as Dana puts Fitch vs Kos together by the end of the yr..

Post #17   3/2/11 12:43:30PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
He definitely won the first...Second was a tossup for me...Fitch raped in the third.

They agree because they both went out and did a **** load of drugs before the main event.

Post #18   3/2/11 3:24:50PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It was a close fight. Arguments can be made either way. I think it was too close to say that either one of them should've won the decision definitively.

Post #19   3/2/11 3:34:35PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
The ironic part here is that Dana's beliefs hold more weight than the judges. The judges can give you the W or D, but Dana will cut your ass or demote you if he disagrees.

Post #20   3/2/11 4:25:16PM   

DuncanFan819

MMA Regular

Career:1,201-703
Chips:
Dana doesn't want to give Fitch credit because this knocks him down a notch at getting a title shot.

Post #21   3/2/11 4:50:59PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

The ironic part here is that Dana's beliefs hold more weight than the judges. The judges can give you the W or D, but Dana will cut your ass or demote you if he disagrees.

And hilariously enough, i think its fairer.

Post #22   3/2/11 5:34:13PM   

TeamDEY

Belt Contender

TeamDEY Avatar

Career:152-124
Chips:
I agree with most of it, I had Penn winning the fight as well. I don't disagree with a draw either.

Post #23   3/2/11 6:23:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by TimW001

Posted by bjj1605

I couldn't agree more with both of them. There is no way that was a 10-8 round. Had he been postured up and really pounding on BJ I would have scored it 10-8. His posture was down and his shots were just arm punches. And at no point did he ever attempt to pass. If you spend the whole round in guard (a neutral position) you don't get 10-8 rounds unless you really pound the hell out of the guy. No dominant positions. No effective ground and pound (effective means with an end toward finishing the fight.) No 10-8 round.

But what did BJ do? Held a man in guard the whole round? Fitch didn't try to pass, and BJ didn't know how to counter.

You're right. BJ did nothing. Luckily I'm not saying he should have won the round. I'm saying that Fitch should have won 10-9.

To pull a quote from the unified rules of MMA: 3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round. Nowhere in the rules does it state that a fighter must be nearly finished for a round to be scored 10-8. The fact of the matter is BJ offered absolutely ZERO offence in round 3 as opposed to Fitch who overwhelmingly dominated both striking and grappling. I'm not sure how much clearer you can make a 10-8 round.

I guess you and I must be reading the term "overwhelmingly dominates" in an entirely different way. To me that has to do with Fitch doing a lot, not BJ doing little.

Think about it. Anderson Silva dances around Thales Leites and throws five strikes the whole round. Thales does nothing. Does that mean that Anderson should win the round 10-8? I don't think so.

Fitch didn't overwhelmingly dominate. He hardly did anything at all.

Post #24   3/2/11 9:00:48PM   

quicksand381

Learning to Sprawl

Career:144-103
Chips:
look regardless of how the fight went neither one of them are ready for gsp. fitch has not finished a fight in his last 13 wins and bj is just not conditioned enough. fitch right now has hit a wall, he needs to be showing a little more than what hes had over the years. fitch is ggod enough to win decisions but not good enough to call himself champion. as far as bj goes he accomplished more than enough in his career to walk away with his head up high.

Post #25   3/3/11 2:04:40AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by TimW001

Posted by bjj1605

I couldn't agree more with both of them. There is no way that was a 10-8 round. Had he been postured up and really pounding on BJ I would have scored it 10-8. His posture was down and his shots were just arm punches. And at no point did he ever attempt to pass. If you spend the whole round in guard (a neutral position) you don't get 10-8 rounds unless you really pound the hell out of the guy. No dominant positions. No effective ground and pound (effective means with an end toward finishing the fight.) No 10-8 round.

But what did BJ do? Held a man in guard the whole round? Fitch didn't try to pass, and BJ didn't know how to counter.

You're right. BJ did nothing. Luckily I'm not saying he should have won the round. I'm saying that Fitch should have won 10-9.

To pull a quote from the unified rules of MMA: 3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round. Nowhere in the rules does it state that a fighter must be nearly finished for a round to be scored 10-8. The fact of the matter is BJ offered absolutely ZERO offence in round 3 as opposed to Fitch who overwhelmingly dominated both striking and grappling. I'm not sure how much clearer you can make a 10-8 round.

I guess you and I must be reading the term "overwhelmingly dominates" in an entirely different way. To me that has to do with Fitch doing a lot, not BJ doing little.

Think about it. Anderson Silva dances around Thales Leites and throws five strikes the whole round. Thales does nothing. Does that mean that Anderson should win the round 10-8? I don't think so.

Fitch didn't overwhelmingly dominate. He hardly did anything at all.

Dude he had over 100 strikes landed in the third round or some **** i heard. Or he threw that many. BJ had none. He got rocked, put on his back and elbowed and punched without any sign of offense whatsoever. It looked like Fitch was beating the **** out of a 10 year old kid. I'd say that's as close to a 10-8 round as you'll see in the UFC. What else did you want him to do? If he spent the whole round trying to pass guard he wouldn't have hit him nearly as much...I'd say ground and pound is more dominant than just passing and not throwing.

Post #26   3/3/11 8:16:13AM   

finalwar

Learning to Sprawl

finalwar Avatar

Career:40-40
Camp: SFT Ladykillers
Chips:
To me, first round 10-9, last round 8-10. Second round is close, but I'd give it 10-9 to BJ, so imho that draw is fair. Anyway, a fight than anyone can live without ever have been watching...

The judge scoring for Fitch 29-28 seems to be the only judge NOT scoring the last round 8-10, right?! Kind of irony... hehe

Post #27   3/3/11 10:00:04AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Post #28   3/3/11 3:59:27PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

It was a close fight. Arguments can be made either way. I think it was too close to say that either one of them should've won the decision definitively.

So...then it's a draw if you can see it going either way. If you can't pick a winner it's a draw.

Posted by RyanC

Come on you guys, this is like 4 days old.

Post #29   3/3/11 4:02:59PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by TimW001

Come on you guys, this is like 4 days old.

4 days, seriously? I could understand if this were a month old, but we haven't even had a full business week.

We're trying to encourage people to post more frequently on the forum threads, not discourage them because we (and by we, I mean YOU) are tired of reading about certain topics. If you're over the topic, don't open the replies or read the latest.

Other people might still have stuff to say.

Last edited 3/3/11 5:13PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #30   3/3/11 5:13:00PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3