Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jorge Rivera Says 'Classless' Bisping Hit Him with Intentional Illegal Knee

Print  
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
When the knee happened i thought it may have been unintentional but after seeing the replay Jorge didnt even look like he was about to stand up. I think it was intentional and Bispings reaction of walking around the cage swearing at Jorge's corner and playing to the crowd backs that up in my mind.

also all the statements of "the knee didnt matter, he was going to lose anyway" are just plain ignorant.

Last edited 2/28/11 4:09PM server time by rearnakedjoke
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #31   2/28/11 4:08:10PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
Also i'd like to see Bisping put his money where his mouth is when he said "i'd have taken this fight for free". Why didnt he donate his paycheck to New Zealand Earthquake recovery like Te Huna did?

Post #32   2/28/11 4:14:28PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by emfleek

Posted by snakes80

And i do think the knee was intentional. Bisping said he was trying to time the knee to when Rivera got up, yet the video shows anything but. He was throwing to land it at that time, and at that time Rivera was down. There. Intentional knee to the head of a downed opponent.

Are we watching the same video? Rivera was absolutely on his way up. The motion of him rolling over to his knees, IMO (and I don't understand why others don't seem to think the same) led Bisping to believe he was in the process of standing up. Bisping anticipated the stand up and tried to time the knee accordingly. Obviously Jorge didn't continue and the knee landed prematurely.

Are you guys that blinded by your hatred towards Bisping that you're failing to realize this? Fighters (attempt to) anticipate the moves of their opponents 100% of the time. This was no different.

Jorge was on both Knee's, and your not allowed to land that blow with one knee on the ground. You can say he was anticipating Jorge standing up, but Jorge hadnt yet done anything that would have made the knee legal.
Bisping was so far off with his anticipation that it looked clearly flagrant. I think all the flack he is getting is deserved. This was clearly more malicious than even the Daley/Koscheck Knee.

I tried giving u props but I need to spread the love, good post

Post #33   2/28/11 4:32:44PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

I'm no bisping fan at all and I would never ever condone spitting at someone else. That being said he didn't spit on him he spit in front of him, and I can't even blame him for getting in riveras face after the bout. Riveras videos were in poor taste and a cheap attempt to promote the fight. I remember agreeing with bisping when he stated all if jorges comments were racist and if he wasnt british or a heel people would notice it. That's part of the trash talk game if you talked alot of it then after the fight there is no rule the person being insulted has to be cordial to you. I can't blame micheal for speaking his mind to jorge after the bout

As for the knee I'm going to assume (and hope) it wasnt intentional and just pulled the trigger early. Micheal doesn't have a history with dirty tactics if I remember correctly.

If a knee to a downed opponent is unintentional, then you DONT grab him in a muay thai clinch before you throw it...........

Am I the only person who saw that?

Last edited 2/28/11 5:14PM server time by beer

Post #34   2/28/11 5:12:52PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
GSPcanada is right on about this stuff. Everyone wants to act like Jorge is the first and ONLY fighter to talk sh*t leading up to a fight and that Bisping is justified in his actions. He is not justified. Nor will he ever be justified.

Countless fighters have endured tons of trash talk toward them before a fight and have not conducted themselves in the manner that Bisping conducted himself. GSP comes to mind. People seem to forget that these are professional fighters. The operative word there is professional. Under no circumstances would this be acceptable at any other place of employment. In the NFL, he would have been fined and suspended, same with the NBA, NHL, or MLB. Precedent has been set in all of these sports.

As a professional, you're to conduct yourself with, at least, a modicum of dignity and respect. Bisping has failed to do this throughout his career. He's truly the definition of a classless act and I've never seen anyone fail to, AT MINIMUM, try to improve themselves as a human being throughout their career. For god's sake, even Gilbert Yvel has turned himself around. Brock Lesnar started showing humility as well.

Bisping, on the other hand, seems to be devolving as a human being in terms of respect and class. It's not a shocker that people cannot stand him and look forward to seeing him getting knocked out. For anyone who's wondered why I hate Bisping, read above. That will give you some insight.

Last edited 2/28/11 7:00PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn

Post #35   2/28/11 6:57:55PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

I'm not sure what video you call racism, the video i saw rivera said 99.9% of british people can take a joke (the .1 being bisping). a lot of fights have trash talk, bisping being one of them, does any one remember bisping interrupting wanderlei while he was talking, how bout the stare down with dan miller? how bout all the trash talk with dan henderson, squirting demarques johnson in the face? there is a reason he is so unliked especially in north america, because he is a trash talker, rivera just simply did to him what bisping has done to so many others, talk. so to condone spitting on or in front of someone is absurd. your so mad just don't shake his hand, looked like a 185lb version of brock out there

the knee? looked kinda intentional to me, It would be stupid of me to say 100% but I don't think you can sit there and say there is no chance, to me it looked like he said "i don't care", it probably did have an effect on the outcome of the fight, ofcourse it did, that was the hardest shot he landed in the whole fight, if they fought again would i pick rivera? no i'd pick bisping because i feel he is the better fighter

1. "The tale of Count Bisping" had some racially insensitive remarks about the British population imo.

2. Bisping interupting a speech or saying something during a staredown is pumping up a fight. Yes, he likes to talk. But to me there is a huge difference between pumping up a fight like that, spraying someone in the face as a prank, and what Jorge did. He systematically attacked Bisping over a several week period in videos, insulting his fighting style, his family's heritage, basically everything about him. Ive seen students at my work expelled for much less, people fired for much less, and people legally charged for such slander.

3. I never said I condoned the spitting, I even said right in my post it was classless. But hell, you insult my family, my history, and who I am as a person, I dont know how I would react. Given the situation, I would probably have spit on those dirt bags. Guess I am also "classless".

4. I never said there was no chance that the knee was intentional, I said no one knows for sure. NO ONE. And its silly people keep pretending like they do.

Post #36   3/1/11 12:08:45AM   

BigCountryFedor

Banned for Cheating

BigCountryFedor Avatar

Career:653-352
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

1. "The tale of Count Bisping" had some racially insensitive remarks about the British population imo.

I wouldnt say the British people are a "race" per say. It's hard to understand them most of the time but its no reason to call them a separate race

Post #37   3/1/11 12:13:30AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

...and people legally charged for such slander.

It wasn't slander. It was parody. There's a world of difference.

Post #38   3/1/11 12:30:44AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by GSPCanada

I'm not sure what video you call racism, the video i saw rivera said 99.9% of british people can take a joke (the .1 being bisping). a lot of fights have trash talk, bisping being one of them, does any one remember bisping interrupting wanderlei while he was talking, how bout the stare down with dan miller? how bout all the trash talk with dan henderson, squirting demarques johnson in the face? there is a reason he is so unliked especially in north america, because he is a trash talker, rivera just simply did to him what bisping has done to so many others, talk. so to condone spitting on or in front of someone is absurd. your so mad just don't shake his hand, looked like a 185lb version of brock out there

the knee? looked kinda intentional to me, It would be stupid of me to say 100% but I don't think you can sit there and say there is no chance, to me it looked like he said "i don't care", it probably did have an effect on the outcome of the fight, ofcourse it did, that was the hardest shot he landed in the whole fight, if they fought again would i pick rivera? no i'd pick bisping because i feel he is the better fighter

2. Bisping interupting a speech or saying something during a staredown is pumping up a fight. Yes, he likes to talk. But to me there is a huge difference between pumping up a fight like that, spraying someone in the face as a prank, and what Jorge did. He systematically attacked Bisping over a several week period in videos, insulting his fighting style, his family's heritage, basically everything about him. Ive seen students at my work expelled for much less, people fired for much less, and people legally charged for such slander.

3. I never said I condoned the spitting, I even said right in my post it was classless. But hell, you insult my family, my history, and who I am as a person, I dont know how I would react. Given the situation, I would probably have spit on those dirt bags. Guess I am also "classless".

4. I never said there was no chance that the knee was intentional, I said no one knows for sure. NO ONE. And its silly people keep pretending like they do.

1. some racial incentive, that's not racism. racism is a strong word you can't just throw that around at will.

2. that is the only time I have seen someone interrupt someone at pre-fight press conference, it is disrespectful and unprecedented. He didn't say something he actually physically put his face into millers and started pushing into him, when was the last time u saw 2 guys get physical 30 seconds before a fight. hughes vs trigg? franca vs marcus? the thing about bisping is he doesn't just trash talk he does things that break a sort of unwritten moral code

3 & 4. I never quoted you at any point, you aren't the only one on here, there are plenty of people saying it wasn't intentional and i'll agree only bisping knows if it was intentional or unintentional, hell I wonder if Bisping even knew. and your not the only one saying spitting is cool, i'm addressing my perspective to everyone and not denoting your opinion, . personally i'd rather be verbally attacked than spit on or spit at but that is an argument not mma related.

Post #39   3/1/11 1:52:30AM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,683-1,107
Chips:
Watching the fight IMO Bisping's knee was Intentional. I am among the haters of Bisping and think he was in the wrong and should be punished however the rules state. That being said this example is why I think knees do someone downed should be legal. If fighters are aware enough to protect themselfs they won't let them happen or would at least attempt to brace the impact if they can. I understand the protection of the fighters arguement but it is a risk they already take stepping in the ring and I think if they are aware that it is legaly possible they will attempt to at least prevent the knee from coming opposed to taking the full force actually hurting them even more... And in no way am I saying that Jorge was baiting because I don't think he thought for a moment that Bisping would actually do that. Me on the other hand I'm not to surprised because I don't think too highly of Mickey anyway.

Post #40   3/1/11 2:53:28AM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,682-1,471
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by GSPCanada

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by GSPCanada

1. some racial incentive, that's not racism. racism is a strong word you can't just throw that around at will.

2. that is the only time I have seen someone interrupt someone at pre-fight press conference, it is disrespectful and unprecedented. He didn't say something he actually physically put his face into millers and started pushing into him, when was the last time u saw 2 guys get physical 30 seconds before a fight. hughes vs trigg? franca vs marcus? the thing about bisping is he doesn't just trash talk he does things that break a sort of unwritten moral code

3 & 4. I never quoted you at any point, you aren't the only one on here, there are plenty of people saying it wasn't intentional and i'll agree only bisping knows if it was intentional or unintentional, hell I wonder if Bisping even knew. and your not the only one saying spitting is cool, i'm addressing my perspective to everyone and not denoting your opinion, . personally i'd rather be verbally attacked than spit on or spit at but that is an argument not mma related.

Ok, well I thought you were addressing me because you specifically mentioned the racism bit. In regards to the racism part itself, I guess that's up for debate. Here's a definition of racism I pulled out of oxford:

Racism: a belief that the genetic factors which constitute race, ethnicity, or nationality are a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that ethnic differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

Now to me, portraying a person as stupid because of their accent or dialect (which I think they clearly do in several videos in regards to Bisping's) is racism. Just like if I were to portray an Irish fighter as a drunk simply because they are Irish, thats racism. It contributes to an ideology which holds connotations of one nationality's superiority over another. Say what you will about Bisping, he never attacked Jorge's ethnic background, and we all know there are many jokes there.

Now, you say that being verbally abused isnt as bad as being spit on. Though really think about this for a second. Bisping's wife, kids, team-mates, and friends all probably either saw those videos or heard about them. Bisping has a whole gym and nation of mma fans who look up to him. Can you imagine how humiliating that must of been for Mike? Imagine having to explain to your son some of that stuff? Yes, being spit on is gross, degrading, etc. But you wipe it off and move on. Those videos Jorge posted will be on the internet forever.

Im tired of . The point I was trying to make is that is pisses me off that Jorge gets hit with an illegal knee, and suddenly he's a saint. Spitting on Jorge's trainers was wrong, but I think those videos were equally, if not more, wrong.

Post #41   3/1/11 10:31:25AM   

Hideous

Learning to Sprawl

Career:229-178
Chips:
I guess the adage is true, racism is one sided.
For example , lets say that Bisping put up a video ridiculing Puerto Ricans..that they are stupid, talk funny etc.
Well I can promise you the outrage would be huge as THAT will be cnsiderd racist.
Any spitting or less than noble actions such Puerto Rican then did would be justified as he was, after all, a victim of racism.

But if a Puerto Rican says the same things about an Englishman, bloody hell, it is ok?

This world is crazy. Racism knows no skin colour. The victims are not always non- whites.

Post #42   3/1/11 11:19:54AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

Just out of curiosity, what would the remarks be? I'm failing to remember any insensitive remarks towards the British population in that video, but then again I could be mistaken.

Post #43   3/1/11 11:55:52AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I don't think I have ever seen a word repeated so many times as the word 'classless' lol!!

I know everyone outside of the UK hates Bisping and I know it is partly down to his actions but also it is definately down to him being from the UK. Kos is no better but when he gets fake knees to the head etc, although it is mentioned and condemed by most, even American's, you won't find anything near to the reaction on the internet that Bisping gets.

An example would be that most American's think that Hendo's follow up punch on Bisping when he was already out cold was fine, even though Hendo said it was intentional and he did it because he wanted to shut him up it's fine because you are supposed to fight until the ref stops it. There is nothing in the rules against it so it's OK....right? There is nothing in the rules against punching an opponent when they are about to touch gloves at the begining of a fight but when Paul Kelly does it everyone cries about it.

There are a lot of other 'classless' fighters in the UFC, Sonnen, Lesnar, Kos, Silva to name a few but only Bisping seems to get the heat.

I don't condone what Bisping did but I also don't think that Jorge is a saint in all this and he seems to be getting away with it all - I wonder why?

If you poke the bear then expect to get bitten.

Jorge poked the bear.

I know so many of you were getting wet for another huge KO of Bisping but don't worry. Be patient. You will most likley get that when he gets his title shot against Silva.

Post #44   3/1/11 12:25:53PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
bisping wont be getting a title shot any time soon

Post #45   3/1/11 2:08:10PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4