Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jorge Rivera Says 'Classless' Bisping Hit Him with Intentional Illegal Knee

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by snakes80

And i do think the knee was intentional. Bisping said he was trying to time the knee to when Rivera got up, yet the video shows anything but. He was throwing to land it at that time, and at that time Rivera was down. There. Intentional knee to the head of a downed opponent.

Are we watching the same video? Rivera was absolutely on his way up. The motion of him rolling over to his knees, IMO (and I don't understand why others don't seem to think the same) led Bisping to believe he was in the process of standing up. Bisping anticipated the stand up and tried to time the knee accordingly. Obviously Jorge didn't continue and the knee landed prematurely.

Are you guys that blinded by your hatred towards Bisping that you're failing to realize this? Fighters (attempt to) anticipate the moves of their opponents 100% of the time. This was no different.

Last edited 2/28/11 10:32AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   2/28/11 10:31:20AM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by snakes80

...And i do think the knee was intentional. Bisping said he was trying to time the knee to when Rivera got up, yet the video shows anything but. He was throwing to land it at that time, and at that time Rivera was down. There. Intentional knee to the head of a downed opponent.

As far as I'm concerned, that knee was so bad, the whole fight should be thrown out and considered a NC. To say that it didn't effect the outcome of the fight is to not look at the facts. That was the first power strike that did any damage. And it won Bisping the fight. It just took until the second round for Rivera to realize it.

this. he said that he had him in the thai clinch and was waiting for him to stand. from the clip above I see rivera still clearly down and bisping throwing a knee with malicious intent. regardless of what was said before the fight no one should go to that extent to hurt someone. sticks and stones. and the spit was just absolutely classless.

Post #17   2/28/11 10:38:04AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Are we watching the same video? Rivera was absolutely on his way up. The motion of him rolling over to his knees, IMO (and I don't understand why others don't seem to think the same) led Bisping to believe he was in the process of standing up. Bisping anticipated the stand up and tried to time the knee accordingly. Obviously Jorge didn't continue and the knee landed prematurely.

Whether the knee was intentional or not is one thing, but to completely discredit it as a possibility is another. If Jorge had at the least put one foot up, Bisping's story would have more credibility. But, as it stand, he was at least two moves removed from a standing fighter. I'm not sure if Bisping was anticipating Jorge leaping to both feet at once, but most people do it one foot at a time.

Post #18   2/28/11 10:38:47AM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,399
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I wish people would stop pretending they were inside Bisping's head the moment that knee happened. Who knows if it was intentional or not for sure? No one except Bisping, so all this is ALL speculation.

I will say this though, Bisping spitting on Jorge's corner was classless, granted. But why is Jorge and his corner somehow innocent in all this all of a sudden?

They put up all these videos, basically smashing Bisping for a month straight, making racist comments towards the British population. Basically they verbally abused Mike in every way possible. Of course Bisping is going to react that way with all the adrenaline pumping.

I would have spit on those dirt bags too.

Post #19   2/28/11 10:53:01AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

They put up all these videos, basically smashing Bisping for a month straight, making racist comments towards the British population. Basically they verbally abused Mike in every way possible. Of course Bisping is going to react that way with all the adrenaline pumping.

I would have spit on those dirt bags too.

Agreed. Rivera calling Bisping classless is quite laughable.

Dear Pot. Meet Kettle.

Last edited 2/28/11 11:14AM server time by emfleek

Post #20   2/28/11 11:13:29AM   

thepitbull00

MMA Regular

thepitbull00 Avatar

Career:2,303-1,614
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by snakeplissken

Belfort has called out Bisping on Twitter this morning.

Personally Im prepared to give Bisping the benefit of the doubt, the bottom line here is that Rivera was never going to win, wasn't a clever move by Bisping, but then maybe Rivera and his camp should think about winding somneone up who has a volatile nature and not expect any reprucussions.

Totally agree. Rivera even said his intention was to get under Bispings skin and eff him up, did he really expect him to take it all with a grain of salt? Bisping is a bit of a hot head and to be honest when I watched the replay it did look to me like Rivera was getting up. I'm not condoning what Bisping did but given his emotional state and everything that was said I can understand why the events transpired as they did.

Post #21   2/28/11 11:18:58AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Franklinfan47

I wish people would stop pretending they were inside Bisping's head the moment that knee happened. Who knows if it was intentional or not for sure? No one except Bisping, so all this is ALL speculation.

I will say this though, Bisping spitting on Jorge's corner was classless, granted. But why is Jorge and his corner somehow innocent in all this all of a sudden?

I agree with almost all this post! Who knows if it was intentional or not. One thing is for sure though Rivera and his camp are as much to blame for Bisping's reaction as Bisping himself.

I'm not condoning the spitting or defending it, its a classless and disrespectful act. In my opinion if it did hit Rivera's cornerman he should be fined at least.

But Rivera and his cornermen can't expect to make videos insulting a nation, an individual and his camp and expect nothing in return.
Bisping could have dealt with it better or simply showed how dominant he was and walking away but he chose the low road and he'll have to deal with the consequences.

But I will say one thing in his defence, he has issued an apology.

Rivera and his camp have shown nothing but classlessness since the fight was announced and long before.
Rivera, his camp and his management remind me of my little brothers baiting one another until one snaps and then running to my mum crying.

This whole situation is an embarrassment to MMA from the day the fight was announced to the moment it finished.
Hopefully the UFC will learn from this and put a stop to stupid videos baiting other fighters.

Last edited 2/28/11 11:31AM server time by SmileR

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #22   2/28/11 11:30:11AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It is Rivera's fault for continuing. He should have taken the W and sent Bisping on his way. The knee was a blatant illegal strike.

Still, the video looks nothing like how Rivera describes it. He wasn't even close to getting a sweep and bisping was NOT holding the fence.

Whether it was intentional or not we will never know. But to say Rivera was doomed to lose is kind of silly. Anyone who's been around this sport for a long time knows that anything can happen on any given day. Rivera did land a couple of solid shots. Maybe (if you take the knee out of the equation) he could have won the fight. I wouldn't expect it, but its down right ignorant to say "He was gonna lose anyway."

Post #23   2/28/11 11:35:47AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
A lot of peoplei agree with on this post, a lot I do not, whether the knee was the pivotal factor will never know

Jorge talked a lot of smack, he put his pride on the line by continuing, and one round later, Jorge was done. He could of simply quit, but them after everything he said he was kind of pressured into continuing, bottom line is he did continue by his own thoughts and actions and bisping defended his honour.

Who knows what either fighter was thinking, we will never know. All we know is that Bisping won a fight Jorge continued to fight by his own free will

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #24   2/28/11 12:40:39PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,954-1,208
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
did Bisping give someone the middle finger after the illegal knee? In the video you can see him in a corner raise a finger towards someone..I couldnt tell if it was the middle finger or pointing or what..

Post #25   2/28/11 1:01:29PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,954-1,208
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Still, the video looks nothing like how Rivera describes it. He wasn't even close to getting a sweep and bisping was NOT holding the fence.

Early in the fight after Bispings first take down he WAS holding the fence..granted it made no impact, but he still did

Post #26   2/28/11 1:03:04PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I'm not sure what video you call racism, the video i saw rivera said 99.9% of british people can take a joke (the .1 being bisping). a lot of fights have trash talk, bisping being one of them, does any one remember bisping interrupting wanderlei while he was talking, how bout the stare down with dan miller? how bout all the trash talk with dan henderson, squirting demarques johnson in the face? there is a reason he is so unliked especially in north america, because he is a trash talker, rivera just simply did to him what bisping has done to so many others, talk. so to condone spitting on or in front of someone is absurd. your so mad just don't shake his hand, looked like a 185lb version of brock out there

the knee? looked kinda intentional to me, It would be stupid of me to say 100% but I don't think you can sit there and say there is no chance, to me it looked like he said "i don't care", it probably did have an effect on the outcome of the fight, ofcourse it did, that was the hardest shot he landed in the whole fight, if they fought again would i pick rivera? no i'd pick bisping because i feel he is the better fighter

Post #27   2/28/11 1:12:51PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by snakes80

And i do think the knee was intentional. Bisping said he was trying to time the knee to when Rivera got up, yet the video shows anything but. He was throwing to land it at that time, and at that time Rivera was down. There. Intentional knee to the head of a downed opponent.

Are you guys that blinded by your hatred towards Bisping that you're failing to realize this? Fighters (attempt to) anticipate the moves of their opponents 100% of the time. This was no different.

Jorge was on both Knee's, and your not allowed to land that blow with one knee on the ground. You can say he was anticipating Jorge standing up, but Jorge hadnt yet done anything that would have made the knee legal.
Bisping was so far off with his anticipation that it looked clearly flagrant. I think all the flack he is getting is deserved. This was clearly more malicious than even the Daley/Koscheck Knee.

Post #28   2/28/11 1:32:48PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
It's hilarious how Bisping gets a clear cut, brutal knee and still doesn't KO him, does he have the KO power of a 6 year old boy?

In all seriousness though, brutal knee, to me... it looked intentional, but the key word is LOOKED.

Post #29   2/28/11 1:48:53PM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,071-844
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by snakes80

well if bisping was trying to time it, then the knee was intentional by definition... clearly bisping knew what he was doing, the ref thought it was intentional thats y the point was deducted instead of a warning or whatever... also come one bisping celebrated after doing it the whole time Rivera was recovering. imo the knee won him the fight Rivera was to effed up after that to fully recover looked to me like he had a concussion his eyes, face, etc he just wasnt there...it didnt look to me like Rivera was trying to get up, he shifted his weight, but made no move to stand Jorge isnt stupid he has been around a long time and he knows u dont stand up when someone has a thai clinch around u, waiting for u to stand so they can throw a knee..................................reallly!

Post #30   2/28/11 2:38:43PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4