Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fight Metric report for BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch draw

Print  
  Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Jon Fitch doesn't stall. Just because there isn't slick BJJ maneuvers doesn't mean there's no grappling happening. Fitch was nullifying Penn's jits with his top game, and then did whatever he wanted with the striking, and that's what made it incredible to watch. You see boring, and I see an experienced wrestler destroying one of the best jiu jitsu players in the game.

Fighters should be awarded for successful defense. And with this in mind i can clearly see how a 10-8 is appropriate in the third round.

BUT, by this rationale, i can not see how you can give fitch the second round. Penn was nullifying Fitch's wrestling with his spawl. The amount of successful defense by Penn and unsuccessful offense by Fitch, won Penn a very close second round.

And if the defense exhibited by a fighter shouldn't be scored as controlling a round, then i see no reason for a 10-8 fitch round, when the most impressive thing about that round was his ability to shut down penn's offense.

Penn was successful in his take down defense, but he was still taken down, and suffered through two other take down attempts as well. On the ground, Penn got Fitch's back, but he didn't do anything with it. Fitch quickly got the reversal and landed the most significant strikes of the fight. Offensively, and defensively, Fitch was superior in round two.

Penn took Fitch down, Fitch took Penn down.
Penn defended two-thirds of Fitch's takedowns in the round.
Penn got Fitch's back, and Fitch swept.

Fitch was on top for how long after he swept Bj? Not very long at all.
What did he do once he got on top? "Light" Ground and pound. In round 2, the round that decides the fight.
How long did Bj control and nullify Fitch's grappling? Most of the round.
What did he do while in control? Take back control and threaten with submissions.

The striking was both largely nonexistant and completely even in this fight. The Striking shouldnt be scored as heavily as the grappling because the fight didnt feature much striking. Thats the Rules.

So in round 2 you have a largely even effort from both sides, in all area's, with octagon control going to Penn. And even effective grappling would go to penn if you had to award one over the other.

- A reversal isnt as important as back control.
- Going 1/3 in take downs isnt as good as going 1/1
- Light Ground and pound isnt as dangerous as a RNC attempt
- 1 minute of control on the mat shouldnt be valued higher than 4 minutes of control everywhere else.

Fitch was not the superior in round 2.

Post #61   2/28/11 12:58:48AM   

Kugel

MMA Regular

Kugel Avatar

Career:1,531-907
Chips:
I don't know why there is so much hate for a guy like Fitch. He works hard, and usually dominates fights decision or not. The same people call GSP exciting who is supposedly the best fighter in the world. If that is true, than why doesn't he finish fights? The only guys GSP has finished since 2007 are BJ and Serra. And he didn't really finish BJ, the guy quit after 4 rounds due to exhaustion. Which probably would have happened in the Fitch fight as well. And finishing a gassed Serra (a true 155er) by body strikes isn't that impressive. Plus Serra knocked GSP out.

BJ Penn is one of the best fighters in the history of MMA, and instead of dissing a guy that works hard to win fights, why not give BJ some credit for giving him a fight, and Fitch credit for being able to finish strong and almost win a fight.

And I am pretty sure that BJ should have beat GSP in their first fight had the refs not sucked then too. Fitch is the CLEAR #2 contender at 170, and people who say different are just plain haters.

Post #62   2/28/11 8:55:38AM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,059
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Jon Fitch doesn't stall. Just because there isn't slick BJJ maneuvers doesn't mean there's no grappling happening. Fitch was nullifying Penn's jits with his top game, and then did whatever he wanted with the striking, and that's what made it incredible to watch. You see boring, and I see an experienced wrestler destroying one of the best jiu jitsu players in the game.

Fighters should be awarded for successful defense. And with this in mind i can clearly see how a 10-8 is appropriate in the third round.

BUT, by this rationale, i can not see how you can give fitch the second round. Penn was nullifying Fitch's wrestling with his spawl. The amount of successful defense by Penn and unsuccessful offense by Fitch, won Penn a very close second round.

And if the defense exhibited by a fighter shouldn't be scored as controlling a round, then i see no reason for a 10-8 fitch round, when the most impressive thing about that round was his ability to shut down penn's offense.

Penn was successful in his take down defense, but he was still taken down, and suffered through two other take down attempts as well. On the ground, Penn got Fitch's back, but he didn't do anything with it. Fitch quickly got the reversal and landed the most significant strikes of the fight. Offensively, and defensively, Fitch was superior in round two.

What did he do once he got on top? "Light" Ground and pound. In round 2, the round that decides the fight.
What did he do while in control? Take back control and threaten with submissions.

The striking was both largely nonexistant and completely even in this fight. The Striking shouldnt be scored as heavily as the grappling because the fight didnt feature much striking. Thats the Rules.

So in round 2 you have a largely even effort from both sides, in all area's, with octagon control going to Penn. And even effective grappling would go to penn if you had to award one over the other.

- 1 minute of control on the mat shouldnt be valued higher than 4 minutes of control everywhere else.

Completely agree with pookie, I rewinded the fight to see the 2nd round to see if what I saw the first time was correct. When fitch took penn down in the opening moments of the round fitch threw exactly one strike to the head of bj, then penn returned to his feet. There against the cage he landed more elbows long the cage then fitch threw when he had penn on his back. Penn then defended every take down fitch attempted, before returning the favor and landing a take down off his own. Unlike jon bj did something with his take down and advanced position and took his back. it was brief I'll admit but he still tried to end the fight. To jons credit he ended up on top and stayed there for the remainder of the round while not posturing or advancing. I think the final min made the round close but I can't reward fighters for trying to stall when his opponent is doing more to end the fight.

Simply like stated above jon landed one take down and did nothing with it, the take down was negated when penn did the same. difference is penn mounted offense with his take downs. Additionally penns d was better for stuffing takedowns and even bloodied jon. Imo if you give jon the round your promoting fighters to fight on points cause its clear that's what jon was aiming for, takedowns were even signficant strikes and dominant positions to penn. That out weights stalling.

Post #63   2/28/11 11:10:28AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,078-848
Chips:
whats the point in arguing? Everyone will see it their way and isnt gonna change that.....

plus the fight was scored correctly!

Post #64   2/28/11 2:25:14PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

It doesn't matter that BJ didn't mount much offense if fitch didn't either. As Blueskies pointed out the number of strikes he threw didn't matter because they were weak and with the exception of a few good elbows didn't do anything.

My god, you want to see one clip of Jon Fitch stalling? I'm starting to think you didn't even watch his fight with BJ Penn. The majority of the third round was one big long stall.

Why does he have to pass guard? Because that's what we call "advancing position" and its required by the Unified Rules of MMA. There is absolutely no excuse for a fighter to sit in an opponents guard and not even attempt to past. That is the definition of stalling and lay and pray. If you aren't advancing you're stalling. And I didn't say Fitch never threw shots, I said he never postured up to throw shots. The one way to land effective ground and pound from the guard is to posture up. You aren't stopping any one with that garbage Fitch was throwing at BJ penn last night.

Also, notice the word you used to describe what Fitch did to BJ. "Nullifying." Thats really just a euphemism for stalling. You're just beating around the bush and refusing to admit what everyone else knows is obvious.

Finally, YES---- watch him do nothing. I would not pay to watch Jon Fitch do what he does.

BJ's face disagrees that Fitch's strikes did nothing...and BJ's face is made of leather. his face looked worse last night than the 50 minutes Frankie used to punch him in the face standing. Penn landed a grand total of 1 significant strike, and that one busted Fitch's nose.

how is landing 150 punches stalling? i guess Sonnen stalled against Silva then right? no excuse for not passing?? come on man we get you are a jiu-jitsu nuthugger and probably creamed during Maia's pre-Silva fights but not every fighter is some BJJ expert. he pounded BJ's face in while receiving almost no damage in return (except for that one elbow). sure he isnt going to stop anyone, but i dont see anyone stopping Fitch.

the bottom guys "nullify" or stall more so than the top guys because they are like fish out of water on their backs. why do you always see guys clasping their hands behind the guys back praying for a standup? but yet the guy on top is to blame right?

So if the punches were so effective how come after 150 of them he still couldn't stop BJ? A couple of bruises don't make up for the fact that they contributed nothing towards finishing the fight.

And the difference with Chael Sonnen (something I mentioned in my post if you would read a little closer) is that he postured up to get power behind his strikes. I do think though in that fight people though Sonnen was doing better than he actually was. Silva rocked him several times standing and landed lots of strikes from the bottom. It was just so shocking Sonnen looked like he was doing better than he actually was.

And I don't just appreciate BJJ. I wrestled for two years in highschool and I wrestle at my MMA gym now. But takedowns should be a means to an end, not an end in themselves. If you take a guy down it should be because you want to submit him or pound him out. There needs to be a step two. With Fitch its just "I got the takedown. I'm done."

And bottom guys do stall sometimes. You can tell when they do it. They lock up and don't move and look at the ref. I hate that just as much as I hate what Fitch does.

But, if a guy is on his back actively working for submissions and dominant grips while defending the GNP, he should win the round. Jeff Curran vs Takeya Mizugaki is a good example. So is Jon Fitch vs Diego Sanchez. If you get a takedown and do nothing with it, while the guy on his back is working offense, the takedown doesn't count for much IMO.

when was BJ doing anything off his back?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #65   2/28/11 5:01:44PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by quezocrema0032

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Posted by warglory

Completely agree with pookie, I rewinded the fight to see the 2nd round to see if what I saw the first time was correct. When fitch took penn down in the opening moments of the round fitch threw exactly one strike to the head of bj, then penn returned to his feet. There against the cage he landed more elbows long the cage then fitch threw when he had penn on his back. Penn then defended every take down fitch attempted, before returning the favor and landing a take down off his own. Unlike jon bj did something with his take down and advanced position and took his back. it was brief I'll admit but he still tried to end the fight. To jons credit he ended up on top and stayed there for the remainder of the round while not posturing or advancing. I think the final min made the round close but I can't reward fighters for trying to stall when his opponent is doing more to end the fight.

Simply like stated above jon landed one take down and did nothing with it, the take down was negated when penn did the same. difference is penn mounted offense with his take downs. Additionally penns d was better for stuffing takedowns and even bloodied jon. Imo if you give jon the round your promoting fighters to fight on points cause its clear that's what jon was aiming for, takedowns were even signficant strikes and dominant positions to penn. That out weights stalling.

When did he stall? Jon was active for the entire round. As for strikes, Jon landed more strikes, look at the Fight Metric. Were most of them landed in the end in the dominant position? Yes, and that alone should have swayed the judges in favor of Fitch, because that was the most damage and most control dished out for the entire round which included the clinch (Fitch landed 8 leg strikes to Penn's 1, which I believe were all incurred during the clinch).

Post #66   2/28/11 5:35:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

My argument is against FightMetric. I'm not going to enter the "Fitch is boring," "Fitch doesn't deserve another shot," or "Penn/Fitch won the fight" arguments.

Personally, I say give Fitch his damn rematch so GSP can beat the brakes off of him a second time and then we will NEVER have to hear about Fitch getting another title shot, as long as GSP holds the belt, again.

Using FightMetric to suit your argument is absolutely ridiculous. You have an after the fact and carefully tabulated piece of paper to prove your point. Hindsight is 20/20 and people never use FightMetric accurately when they bring it in to play.

They'll happily point out that Fitch landed more strikes than Penn and he should have won, yadda yadda yadda, but they won't focus on the fact that the majority of those strikes were low percentage and didn't do anything.

If I poke someone in the chest 45 times and they throw one punch that knocks me out, FightMetric will have me out-landing them 45-1, guess what? It didn't f*cking matter, I got knocked out.

FightMetric is, from a statistical standpoint, a poorly constructed measurement tool. There's only two categories they recognize; low percentage and high percentage. The world of MMA isn't that black and white.

It's also highly subjective. THEY are telling YOU what a low percentage shot and a high percentage shot is. A strike doesn't have to be A or B. It can be C, D, or E.

Well what else do you propose? People are saying that Penn somehow did more damage, or was more active, and that's simply not true. I use Fightmetric because it does paint a clear picture of the striking deficit. In all three rounds, Fitch landed the more "significant strikes" according to FightMetric. And including all the strikes together is also an important factor, because it demonstrates a certain level of dominance. Were all the strikes landed in round 3 destructive? No, but they landed, and they were unanswered. If Penn had spent the first two rounds with control on the ground, and attempted several submissions, you wouldn't see any debate about a draw or Penn winning from me, but this isn't the case, and FightMetric helps back that up.

Post #67   2/28/11 5:58:29PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

My god, you want to see one clip of Jon Fitch stalling? I'm starting to think you didn't even watch his fight with BJ Penn. The majority of the third round was one big long stall.

Why does he have to pass guard? Because that's what we call "advancing position" and its required by the Unified Rules of MMA. There is absolutely no excuse for a fighter to sit in an opponents guard and not even attempt to past. That is the definition of stalling and lay and pray. If you aren't advancing you're stalling. And I didn't say Fitch never threw shots, I said he never postured up to throw shots. The one way to land effective ground and pound from the guard is to posture up. You aren't stopping any one with that garbage Fitch was throwing at BJ penn last night.

Also, notice the word you used to describe what Fitch did to BJ. "Nullifying." Thats really just a euphemism for stalling. You're just beating around the bush and refusing to admit what everyone else knows is obvious.

Finally, YES---- watch him do nothing. I would not pay to watch Jon Fitch do what he does.

This isn't a grappling tournament, and more specifically, this isn't BJJ. You don't HAVE to advance your position in mixed martial arts as long as you are in a dominant position, and working, and if you doubt this than I'd suggest you go re-read the unified rules. For example, a lot of fighters with a good wrestling base choose to stay in side position to rain down hell, but by your logic, he isn't doing enough because he should be working for mount. Why does this fighter have to give up a great position at the risk of a great BJJ fighter gaining the upper hand? Fitch is perfectly content to work from guard because it works for him, and BJ had zero answer for this, as shown in rounds 2 and 3. Stalling is essentially laying and praying, which is the act of keeping a dominant position, but not staying active to inflict damage, and ride out the fight to a UD. Fitch does not, and I don't think has ever laid on an opponent to ride his way to a victory, and yes, I challenge you to find a video of him doing this.

Furthermore, you don't have to posture up to throw shots, this is the point of elbows. There are plenty of ground and pound fighters who land devastating strikes without needing to posture, so I don't know why you are placing so much emphasis on this aspect.

Post #68   2/28/11 6:14:44PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Well what else do you propose? People are saying that Penn somehow did more damage, or was more active, and that's simply not true. I use Fightmetric because it does paint a clear picture of the striking deficit. In all three rounds, Fitch landed the more "significant strikes" according to FightMetric. And including all the strikes together is also an important factor, because it demonstrates a certain level of dominance. Were all the strikes landed in round 3 destructive? No, but they landed, and they were unanswered. If Penn had spent the first two rounds with control on the ground, and attempted several submissions, you wouldn't see any debate about a draw or Penn winning from me, but this isn't the case, and FightMetric helps back that up.

Once again, my argument is with FightMetric, not Penn-Fitch. But since you brought Penn-Fitch into the equation, I'll expound upon my point.

In this case, you believe Fitch to have been the winner, so when you see FightMetric's results, it affirms a belief that you already possessed. Therefore, you're using FightMetric to back up your beliefs when the result of the fight was a draw. Like it or not, the fight is recorded as a draw in the annals of history. FightMetric is not going to change that.

Remove your love for Fitch from this and just call it Fighter A and Fighter B. If this were any other match, you might not have as vested of an interest in the outcome of the fight and you could argue against the FightMetric scoring system. But because you already have a bias before this fight even began, you're going to use the statistics to support that bias.

Post #69   2/28/11 6:17:21PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by motorboatensob

Posted by warglory

Posted by motorboatensob

Everyone on here seems to be forgetting that wining a Dec is the last resort in a fight not your priority. Back when there were no rounds or time limit you had to finish the fight. Fitch never tried to advance his position or any kind of finish and three inch punches sure aren't going to finish BJ Penn. Everyone complains about Brock doing this but when Fitch lays on people its STRAIGY whatever. BJ tried more than once to finish the fight and had Fitch wanted to stand he would have tried there as well. Fitch is very good at what he does he wrestles and that's were he should be wrestling this is MMA and your goal is to finish the fight and any one who says it isn't has never fought. You never leave to the judges and you never leave you opponent the chance to catch you.

Back when there were no rounds, it was a bunch of yahoos throwing at each other haphazardly, or not engaging at all. There's no comparison between the "sport" then and now.

When did BJ try and finish the fight? He had one moment with the rnc, but that lasted what, 15 seconds? Fitch was the better BJJ fighter in this fight, and the better wrestler as shown in round 3. This fight should have had Fitch as the victor, plain and simple.

He had two chocks and my point in the whole thing is Fitch means to just ride the fight out never once did he try to finish and for that reason he got a draw. When you do no more then peck at someones head for three and a half min its not going to win you a fight or a title shot. Fitch won one round at best and it should have been stood up after the first min and a half with Fitch not trying to even pass. As far as the better BJJ fight come on he got put in more bad spots couldn't pass BJ guard and BJ got up from two of the three positions Fitch had him in. At my gym we are taught to finish the fight when ever you can and you can't deny that Fitch's whole game plan is to ride the fight out which is why he hasn't finished a fight since 07.

Lets take a look at how many times Fitch's opponents since 2007 have been finished in the last 5 years:

Thiago Alves - 1 out of 12 (by Fitch)
Ben Saunders - 1 out of 11
Mike Pierce - 0 out of 15
Paulo Thiago - 0 out of 15
Akihiro Gono - 1 out of 13
GSP - 1 out of 11
Chris Wilson - 2 out of 12
Diego Sanchez - 1 out of 12
Roan Carniero - Fitch finished
Luigi Fioravanti - Fitch finished

I can deny that Fitch "rides out" victories, because he actively dominates in most of his fights, finish or not. What you learn in your classes in terms of finishing fights is irrelevant to the conversation at hand, because I doubt anyone in your gym has the accolades that Jon Fitch has, no offense.

Fitch doesn't need to pass people's guards because he is content in beating you up within your guard. Furthermore, Fitch did more in that fight than Penn did, and Fight Metric backs it up, round by round.

Whatever dude keep pounding away at the keyboard you type it ill live..

Post #70   2/28/11 7:53:19PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by warglory

Once again, my argument is with FightMetric, not Penn-Fitch. But since you brought Penn-Fitch into the equation, I'll expound upon my point.

In this case, you believe Fitch to have been the winner, so when you see FightMetric's results, it affirms a belief that you already possessed. Therefore, you're using FightMetric to back up your beliefs when the result of the fight was a draw. Like it or not, the fight is recorded as a draw in the annals of history. FightMetric is not going to change that.

Remove your love for Fitch from this and just call it Fighter A and Fighter B. If this were any other match, you might not have as vested of an interest in the outcome of the fight and you could argue against the FightMetric scoring system. But because you already have a bias before this fight even began, you're going to use the statistics to support that bias.

I don't think Fight Metric is going to change anything. This is a debate, and I am using Fight Metric to reinforce my argument, that's it. People do this all the time on the boards, I just happen to be more passionate about this particular fight than others because of people's attitudes towards Fitch.

Post #71   2/28/11 8:14:08PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

I don't think Fight Metric is going to change anything. This is a debate, and I am using Fight Metric to reinforce my argument, that's it. People do this all the time on the boards, I just happen to be more passionate about this particular fight than others because of people's attitudes towards Fitch.

That was exactly my point. You're already biased and emotionally involved so the statistics just make you more biased and more emotional.

Before you saw FightMetric you were just "certain" that Fitch should have won, now you're "DAMN CERTAIN."

Last edited 2/28/11 8:18PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #72   2/28/11 8:18:04PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by warglory

That was exactly my point. You're already biased and emotionally involved so the statistics just make you more biased and more emotional.

Before you saw FightMetric you were just "certain" that Fitch should have won, now you're "DAMN CERTAIN."

Fight Metric is irrelevant to my opinion, it's just a device to help me show others; it's a tool. I am not biased, I am just embracing and defending my opinion, which is the point of debate. If someone were to demonstrate why they thought Penn won round 2 for example, I would be open to the possibility that I was wrong, but Fitch winning or losing this particular fight isn't the basis of my argument anyway.

Last edited 2/28/11 9:06PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #73   2/28/11 9:04:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by warglory

Fight Metric is irrelevant to my opinion, it's just a device to help me show others; it's a tool. I am not biased, I am just embracing and defending my opinion, which is the point of debate.

I respect that, and really I was just talking about FightMetric in general. I don't believe that it's a tool or a resource. It's a poorly constructed statistical system that only provides info AFTER they've watched and rewatched a fight. That's my point, FightMetric doesn't come out until a couple hours after the fact because they have to watch, rewatch, and check their stats. After you've watched a fight 20 times and have whatever evidence you need, it's not that hard to say "so and so" should have won the fight based on our statistics.

It's an egregious misuse of hindsight.

Post #74   2/28/11 9:08:24PM   

Page 5 of 5   <<   2     3     4     5