Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Fight Metric report for BJ Penn vs Jon Fitch draw

Print  
  Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The official report from Fight Metric shows that Fitch outlanded Penn a staggering 149-2 in round three and 231-48 overall. After the jump you can see the grappling chart and who they scored the fight in favor of. Here's a hint: his name rhymes with Bon-dage.

Link

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   2/27/11 1:19:21AM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:518-379
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
With the exception of the Third round Fitch did nothing to win the fight. I don't agree with the decision, but I'm not mad at it. I'm worn out on Fitch personally. He is talented, and what he does wins fights, but he is a WW Antonio McKee. The guys last finish was in June of 07 he is extremely boring, and the only thing he is good at isn't good enough to beat GSP. I don't want to see the title fight at all. I don't even think I'd buy the ppv if he was in the main again. I was really really dissapointed tonight. Again I think he won the fight, but it was frustratingly boring.

Post #2   2/27/11 1:26:24AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

With the exception of the Third round Fitch did nothing to win the fight. I don't agree with the decision, but I'm not mad at it. I'm worn out on Fitch personally. He is talented, and what he does wins fights, but he is a WW Antonio McKee. The guys last finish was in June of 07 he is extremely boring, and the only thing he is good at isn't good enough to beat GSP. I don't want to see the title fight at all. I don't even think I'd buy the ppv if he was in the main again. I was really really dissapointed tonight. Again I think he won the fight, but it was frustratingly boring.

You seem to be forgetting that it takes two fighters to make a boring fight. Do you honestly think Fitch sat at home during his off time thinking about how to make a fight boring? Like he said, what is more important, winning fights and earning money for his family, or being exciting? The guy is amazing. Who else can you name with the kind of record he has that doesn't have gold around his waist? Most fans talk about being exciting, and yet they've probably never even seen a real cage up close outside of television.

As for his style, I enjoy watching it. I enjoy a fighter who knows exactly what he's doing at all times, and almost never makes mistakes to put his style and his gameplan in danger. Did you see what he did tonight? He dismanttled a former champion, a former pound for pound fighter, a prodigy. and yet he did it with almost the whole world watching to see him lose.

That takes heart, man, and that's what Fitch has. That's what makes him great. Everyday he's surrounded by media and fans insulting him, telling him that even though he wins fights, he still means nothing to them.

You know what's the saddest part, though? That he beat BJ Penn tonight, and will probably never be awarded for it. Everything echoed the sadness of his lost opportunity. Did you hear Bruce Buffer calling out the scores? You could hear the uncertainty in his voice. Did you see BJ Penn's face, did you hear what he said, and how he said it? He knew he didn't win, and admitted it, yet felt that he had to give Fitch a rematch, because he deserves it. It's sick that most of the rematches occuring since 2009 have been on false ground, because the rematches wouldn't even be happening if judging issue was corrected.

Sorry, guys. I just had to vent. I hate to see a positive, hard working, modest guy like Jon Fitch not get what he deserves.

Post #3   2/27/11 2:09:33AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Something else related to the Fight Matric:

I was just reading the fan comments on the article, and I seriously can't see how fans can be this stupid.

"I never want to see Fitch fight again."

"Fitch doesn't deserve a rematch."

"It's easy to win a decision when you hump your opponent for two rounds and use the 5 inch punch for five minutes."

This is just sick to read. Jon Fitch outworked Penn, and stole his soul in the third round. Fitch was humping? What I saw was Fitch doing everything in his power to take down one of the world's best in takedown defense, also Fitch doing his best to work around Penn's legendary guard, and I saw Fitch do his best to damage Penn in a third round, where Penn could do nothing, and is known for escaping fights with little to no damage. If fighters don't brawl, or show savy submissions, then they might as well not fight, that's how a lot of these fans think when it comes to fighters like Fitch.

Post #4   2/27/11 2:20:14AM   

mojo

Learning to Sprawl

mojo Avatar

Career:278-163
Camp: WEYBURN TOP TEAM
Chips:
For someone who's name is "fast knockout" you sure picked the wrong fighter to get behind. Fitch is forgetting that this is not hockey or basketball, where your stats at the end of the season put you in line for the title. This is sports entertainment operative word being 'entertain'. I realize he is fighting within the rules but his style is just way too boring for anyone to want to see him get another shot. BJ Penn's name on the card made that a main event fight. Fitch will never beat GSP and I am sick of watching him hug out decisions. He should realize why it has taken him so long to get close to a title shot again. If he had blasted out two opponents after the GSP loss he would have been back right away, but that is far from what he did.

Post #5   2/27/11 4:07:47AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,404-862
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mojo

For someone who's name is "fast knockout" you sure picked the wrong fighter to get behind. Fitch is forgetting that this is not hockey or basketball, where your stats at the end of the season put you in line for the title. This is sports entertainment operative word being 'entertain'.

This is called Mixed Martial Arts. WWE is in the "sports entertainment" business. Welcome to the sport.

Post #6   2/27/11 4:27:36AM   

Skatanicus

Learning to Sprawl

Skatanicus Avatar

Career:1,726-868
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think the way that the FightMetric report is being used here is very misleading. We all saw the actual fight and it was very close. Fitch threw a whole lot of punches in the third, many of which were to the body so of course the total strikes landed is going to be lopsided, I don't know how that could be missed by anyone who saw the fight so there's no insight, just stating the obvious and hoping that the objectivity of on-paper statistics creates a new argument. It doesn't. Neither does absurd labeling of fight activity like "number of passes neutralized".

The second round in this fight was close; 8 minutes into the fight, BJ was surprising everyone by outwrestling Fitch and undeniably leading the second round, he just made the same mistake he made in the first round and thought he could switch from the back to mount and came up way short. That made the second round tough to call. Fitch's corner told him he had to really do something in the third round and they were right. Unfortunately for Fitch the two judges that gave him the 10-8 in the third already had him down 2 rounds so we get a draw.

Fitch isn't the only one who is under pressure to finish, every fighter that starts putting a lot of decisions together hears it and most every one takes it on themselves to try and change that. Fitch is no exception and yet he has seen nine fights in a row go to decision. That's ridiculous by anyone's measure, that's predictable by anyone's measure and although I enjoyed the fight I don't feel like calling the people who want to keep the pressure for excitement up idiots.

Post #7   2/27/11 4:51:26AM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,325-1,230
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
comes down to the scoring system again,atleast if they use half pts bj wins the first 2 rds by half a pt each and fitch wins the 3rd rd by 2 pts and he wins the fight in my eyes but the way they score fights makes the draw makes sense in my eyes.i thought fitch did his best to stop the fight in the 3rd so i won't hate on that,he pounded bj for 5 minutes what more can the dude do.overall i thought the fights were alright but thought the judging was a little off,nick ring wins on dec thats just a joke.

Post #8   2/27/11 9:03:30AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
It's the law of averages. If you leave it in the judges hands every time you fight then a dodgy decision will eventually go against you.

Post #9   2/27/11 9:13:14AM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
Everyone on here seems to be forgetting that wining a Dec is the last resort in a fight not your priority. Back when there were no rounds or time limit you had to finish the fight. Fitch never tried to advance his position or any kind of finish and three inch punches sure aren't going to finish BJ Penn. Everyone complains about Brock doing this but when Fitch lays on people its STRAIGY whatever. BJ tried more than once to finish the fight and had Fitch wanted to stand he would have tried there as well. Fitch is very good at what he does he wrestles and that's were he should be wrestling this is MMA and your goal is to finish the fight and any one who says it isn't has never fought. You never leave to the judges and you never leave you opponent the chance to catch you.

Post #10   2/27/11 10:01:11AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Why don't some of you step into the octagon to be "hugged" by Fitch.

Post #11   2/27/11 10:10:13AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by roadking95th

Why don't some of you step into the octagon to be "hugged" by Fitch.

No thanks. I don't fancy the beard rash.

Post #12   2/27/11 10:59:23AM   

tmas

Belt Contender

tmas Avatar

Career:1,058-836
Chips:
the fight was scored correctly, im a fan of both BJ and Fitch, i thought BJ took the first two rounds and Fitch 10-8 the 3rd...I was most impressed by BJ i think if he didnt gas out he would have taken the fight.....i also however see how the fight could be scored for Fitch the 2nd round was reallllly close.

Post #13   2/27/11 11:10:48AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by jlock003

I'm sorry, but if you didn't like this match, then you aren't an MMA fan, you are a kickboxing fan. This may come off as being rude, but if you enjoy groundwork, there's just no way you can find this fight boring. I don't know what more two fighters could leave in the ring.

Post #14   2/27/11 11:47:59AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Skatanicus

I think the way that the FightMetric report is being used here is very misleading. We all saw the actual fight and it was very close. Fitch threw a whole lot of punches in the third, many of which were to the body so of course the total strikes landed is going to be lopsided, I don't know how that could be missed by anyone who saw the fight so there's no insight, just stating the obvious and hoping that the objectivity of on-paper statistics creates a new argument. It doesn't. Neither does absurd labeling of fight activity like "number of passes neutralized".

The second round in this fight was close; 8 minutes into the fight, BJ was surprising everyone by outwrestling Fitch and undeniably leading the second round, he just made the same mistake he made in the first round and thought he could switch from the back to mount and came up way short. That made the second round tough to call. Fitch's corner told him he had to really do something in the third round and they were right. Unfortunately for Fitch the two judges that gave him the 10-8 in the third already had him down 2 rounds so we get a draw.

Fitch isn't the only one who is under pressure to finish, every fighter that starts putting a lot of decisions together hears it and most every one takes it on themselves to try and change that. Fitch is no exception and yet he has seen nine fights in a row go to decision. That's ridiculous by anyone's measure, that's predictable by anyone's measure and although I enjoyed the fight I don't feel like calling the people who want to keep the pressure for excitement up idiots.

BJ may have outwrestled Fitch, not no one is commenting on Fitch out BJJing BJ.

Post #15   2/27/11 11:49:46AM   

Page 1 of 5     1     2     3     4   >>