Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Melendez-Kawajiri Expected For 4/9 SF, HWGP Likely Pushed Back To June

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Although the second part of the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix's opening round likely will be delayed until June, some other participants are being slotted for the organization's April show. A lightweight title fight between champion Gilbert Melendez and Tatsuya Kawajiri is expected to be a featured bout at the April 9 event. According to ESPN.com's Josh Gross, the Strikeforce heavyweight grand prix likely will conclude on June 18 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, not on April 9 as first planned. No host city or venue have been finalized for the April show, but Oakland's Oracle Arena is a leading candidate.

Article

Post #1   2/26/11 10:14:30AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,686-1,525
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Kawajiri is the one Japanese fighter that could really make waves in the states because he's got the wrestling to hang here. This probably won't be the most exciting fight, but I'll be pulling for Crusher.

Post #2   2/26/11 2:42:37PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
although im still dying for Melendez vs Alvarez I am very excited for this fight

Post #3   2/26/11 2:58:52PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Diaz told to be ready to headline the 4/9 event, Daley misses weight yet again at BAMMA, and now Melendex/Kawajiri expected to headline the 4/9 event. If Diaz is pulled from the event now, I think it's almost guaranteed that Daley's failure to make weight this weekend is the reason why.

We're going to have to start calling it "Pulling a Daley" when someone F's up.

Post #4   2/26/11 3:00:30PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,824-1,783
Chips:
Kawajiri does have some wrestling, but just enough.....I don't think he has it to beat Melendez. Melendez vs Alvarez would be good, I'd give the stand up in both fights to Melendez's opponents. Daley disgusts me, Diaz needs a better match up than someone who we all know will get taken to the ground and subbed within a round TBH. I'd like to see him rematch Noons as soon as Noons gets another win or two.

Post #5   2/26/11 3:29:31PM   

quezocrema0032

Belt Contender

quezocrema0032 Avatar

Career:2,072-1,101
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Kawajiri does have some wrestling, but just enough.....I don't think he has it to beat Melendez. Melendez vs Alvarez would be good, I'd give the stand up in both fights to Melendez's opponents. Daley disgusts me, Diaz needs a better match up than someone who we all know will get taken to the ground and subbed within a round TBH. I'd like to see him rematch Noons as soon as Noons gets another win or two.

I don't think Diaz has enough wrestling to take Daley down and sub him with in a round, Diaz wrestling is really bad. I have a feeling Daley will look a lot like Siver did against Gsop with the stuffing take downs. I could see Diaz out boxing Daley but Not taking him down, Hope to See Daley vs Diaz it would be the most interesting fight out side the ufc for me personally. Even more now that Fedor, him over Overeem would have got me excited as well.

That being said I See Melendez Picking up a stoppage win here against the Crusher.

Last edited 2/27/11 6:41PM server time by quezocrema0032
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   2/27/11 6:39:59PM