Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Keith Hackney: Where Is He Now?

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,020-1,645
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Held on Sept. 9, 1994, UFC 3 had some notable tweaks from its two predecessors. It remained in a one-night, tournament format but with an eight-man field, instead of 16. The canvas, previously white, was replaced with a more viewer-friendly blue. It was, in a sense, a social phenomenon coming to terms with its own success, which was accompanied by an equal dose of notoriety.

Naturally, that was exactly when Art Davie, then co-owner of the UFC, made the call to Keith Hackney. It came during the peak time for Hackney’s primary business, a heating and air conditioning company he founded in 1980 and still runs today.

His background included boxing, tang soo do, five years of kenpo and a year of high school wrestling, in which he made the state tournament as a 98-pound sophomore. After Hackney responded to a magazine ad, event organizers told him the roster was full but that, perhaps, a future slot could be in the works.

“He said somebody backed out and they had a space for me. It was one week before the fight,” Hackney says. “I thought if I said no, they wouldn’t call me back in the future, so I said, ‘I don’t care. I’ll fight. Get me on a plane.’ Art said, ‘Whoa! Let me tell you who you’re competing against.’ I didn’t care. I wanted to fight.”

Full Story

Post #1   2/19/11 11:20:11AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
That's awesome he has found so much success outside of fighting.

Post #2   2/19/11 2:26:25PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
LOL

Finally an answer for all those times I sat up night wondering

"What ever happened to that guy who punched the **** out of Joe Son's testicles?"

Post #3   2/19/11 11:06:42PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,867-1,761
Camp: country KO
Chips:
That nut destruction was ledgendary for me and my friends and it was the first UFC for me. Good read, he seems like a cool guy.

Post #4   2/20/11 9:15:50PM