Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gomi interview about his bout with Diaz

Print  
Posted By Message

Gomiera

Learning to Sprawl

Gomiera Avatar

Career:169-78
Camp: Strictly MMA
Chips:

http://www.pridefc.com/pride2005/ind...ws&news_id=991

Dream Stage Entertainment held a press conference at the Aoyama, Tokyo office on January 23rd to announce four fight cards for the upcoming February 24th event in Las Vegas, Nevada, PRIDE 33 THE SECOND COMING. At the press conference were CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara and four announced fighters Takanori Gomi, Kazuo Misaki, Kazuhiro Nakamura and Hayato "Mach" Sakurai. These four PRIDE samurais will shock America!

Four years since his debut in PRIDE, current Lightweight Champion Takanori Gomi is preparing for a new challenge. "Two years ago, I wanted to fight at Saitama Super Arena. My goal in my 2nd year (in PRIDE) was to win the Grand Prix and my goal in the 3rd year was to take everyone on. I'm happy to now be faced with a new challenge this year, my 4th year. I do not intend to linger on the New Year's Eve events, and I want meet new challenges. There will be four Japanese fighters going this time, so I want all four of us to win and show the real strength of PRIDE fighters. We will all do our best to bring a win home," Gomi said.

Today's press conference announced the dispatch of active PRIDE fighters as Japanese representatives. PRIDE's "four horsemen" will travel to fight in the upcoming February 24th Las Vegas event and their captain, Gomi, has boldly sworn to show the American fans, and the entire world, the strength that is required of PRIDE fighters.

Gomi's opponent, Nick Diaz, has primarily fought in the UFC and with the exception of one local fight; his last 10 fights have all been in the UFC. Diaz won his November 2006 UFC fight by TKO. Although Diaz is well known among American fans, Gomi seems unconcerned, "Diaz is a jujitsu fighter and he's fought in SHOOTO, too, so I don't think of him as a UFC fighter." Jujitsu-based fighters have proven to be difficult opponents for Gomi, but Gomi is going after a clean win like his victory over Mitsuhiro Ishida on New Year's Eve, "Diaz isn't the same kind of fighter as Aurelio. He fights aggressively, at his own pace. I want to destroy him like I did (Ishida) in my last fight. I will fight at my pace, not his."

This will be Gomi's first fight overseas in four years. Gomi, however, isn't worried. Rather, he's looking forward to fighting in a new place, "It's a fresh feeling. It will be my first time in Las Vegas. I'm looking forward to it." Gomi continued, "I saw how excited (the American fans) get when I watched the video of the last Las Vegas event. It's amazing. It's never quiet and everyone is having fun. I want them to enjoy all of my fight, from the entrance to the finish."

"The past is in the past. I'm already thinking about the future," Gomi said, explaining that he restarted his training on January 9th. "I'm making my body stronger, so I will be able to fight even stronger foreigners. This year will begin early for me. Although I'm training with the wrestling club at Kokushikan University, I also want to focus on building my strength up this year. Without forgetting the spirit I had when I started (MMA)."

Gomi also said that he would like to fight half of his fights overseas this year. In his 4th year in PRIDE, the PRIDE Lightweight Champion will lead the charge to America!

Post #1   1/25/07 7:06:13PM   

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:2,000-1,126
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Thanks for the paste. I think Gomi will take it, but now we will hear some smack. Diaz is a insecure person trying to prove "I aint no Bitch", and I'm sure he can find enough in that interview to piss him off. Probably make the fight better, but his mouth is bad for MMA. The misconception that the fighters are "human cockfighters" is aptly represented by Diaz in my opinion.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #2   1/25/07 7:26:13PM   

Gomiera

Learning to Sprawl

Gomiera Avatar

Career:169-78
Camp: Strictly MMA
Chips:
Yeah Gomi sounds very confident and focused. I expect him to come into the fight with a bang.

Post #3   1/25/07 7:44:52PM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:
I love Gomi,

But I think he's peaked in training for Ishida and he wont be ready for the war Diaz is going to bring. Added to the fact that there are no soccer kicks, or knees to the head on the ground will take away from Gomi's arsenal.

My prediction Diaz by split decision. UNFORTUNATLEY

Post #4   1/26/07 12:56:48AM   

strikefirstgear

MMA Regular

strikefirstgear Avatar

Career:54-37
Camp: StrikeFirstGear
Chips:

Posted by hippysmacker

Thanks for the paste. I think Gomi will take it, but now we will hear some smack. Diaz is a insecure person trying to prove "I aint no Bitch", and I'm sure he can find enough in that interview to piss him off. Probably make the fight better, but his mouth is bad for MMA. The misconception that the fighters are "human cockfighters" is aptly represented by Diaz in my opinion.

Nice post. For all Diaz's skills he still comes out like he has something prove.

Post #5   1/26/07 4:25:16AM   

amik

MMA Regular

amik Avatar

Career:71-38
Camp: Wicked Wizards
Chips:
I think sincerely that Takanori Gomi cannot be allowed himself more defeats in his curriculum.He have been prepared conscientiously knowing that Diaz has very good bjj.

Takanori in the 2nd round.

Post #6   1/26/07 5:43:08AM   

Jeffanori-Gomi

Standup Guy

Career:34-26
Camp: TAPOUT
Chips:

Posted by amik

I think sincerely that Takanori Gomi cannot be allowed himself more defeats in his curriculum.He have been prepared conscientiously knowing that Diaz has very good bjj.

Takanori in the 2nd round.

I hope you are right!

Post #7   1/26/07 2:16:57PM